PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update!

Bigboyuk
12-10-17, 11:10
Hi all nothing new about these LOL, it was due to be installed later today but as you know it can be forced a day or so earlier. Everything went ok but after going to a tab that was open a message said: Set Up Internet Explorer Use recommended security and compatibility settings?

Smart screen filters help protect you from malicious websites and software by sending some web addresses to Microsoft to be checked .

Compatibility lists are downloaded to make IE features work better with changing websites and older Pc hardware.

Read the IE policy statement on line (which is clickable) .

I am not overly worried at this stage (sure it could be some sort of scam/malware) but the on screen message was from webpage the same layout as if you were in your email and you are deleting a email it will say message from webpage do you want to delete Yes/No probably not explained that too well.

So I have asked to be reminded again about this page. What I think it is IE 11 has been upgraded and may have new features on it hence that message on screen. So my question is Other members on Windows 8.1 (or other versions, past or present) have had a similar on screen message TIA :) Cheers

Hollow
12-10-17, 13:50
It's never a good idea to install individual updates from Microsoft, they're often released without proper testing and cause problems. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 is because it forces you to install these updates, then again Win 10 is just spyware masquerading as a Operating System. It's a better to wait until they release another "build" which will contain all the new features and updates.

Bigboyuk
12-10-17, 13:51
Note: I have had regular updates (monthly) but only seen this on screen message once
so that's why Iam asking about it! Cheers

Hollow
12-10-17, 13:54
Note: I have had regular updates (monthly) but only seen this on screen message once
so that's why Iam asking about it! Cheers

This message is nothing to worry about, it's a standard message that appears once Internet Explorer is updated.

Bigboyuk
12-10-17, 14:02
It's never a good idea to install individual updates from Microsoft, they're often released without proper testing and cause problems. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 is because it forces you to install these updates, then again Win 10 is just spyware masquerading as a Operating System. It's a better to wait until they release another "build" which will contain all the new features and updates.
That is interesting! But would say these regular monthly updates are genuine and even on windows 8.1 you have to eventually install them I always choose and force it through you are notified on screen (start up screen) in big yellow wording. So never individually install updates as such. Didn't know that Windows 10 is masquerading as a OS?? So if I was interested in installing windows 10 how would I know the difference between the genuine one and fake one?? Thanks Hollow Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

This message is nothing to worry about, it's a standard message that appears once Internet Explorer is updated.

Ok so disregard it then as I have adequate security on my pc but not through Windows Defender I have that disabled and use a good third party scanner that is also regularly updated. Thanks again Cheers