PDA

View Full Version : Need help ... Can anxiety do this....?

srinux27
12-10-17, 12:28
Hi everyone - I have been having a real rough time these past couple of months and wanted some reassurance.

It all started 4 months back when I started waking up with a funny feeling in my upper chest more towards the left hand side. It cant be described as pain but was more like a "quesy" feeling you get just before a presentation (Not sure that is describing it correctly). I also noticed a slight and very brief burning sensation in my upper left back side near the shoulder blade. In any case I tried to ignore it for a while, but after 2 weeks decided to go get checked just to be safe. Did a self referral private ECG at a small diagnostic clinic and it came back with PVC (Premature Ventricular Complex) - it also said that you have probable anteroseptal infarction(old heart attack) - I immediately googled what that was and lost it!!! :scared15: Thankfully my wife was with me and decided to take me to the ER at a much bigger hospital where they immediately ran a bunch of tests - ECG (this time only PVC in bigeminy - claimed the old one was incorrectly done with a lead placed farther away that can cause an aberrant reading), 2D Echocardiogram and Trop T blood tests. Everything was normal save for the PVC and was told to come back the next day for a tread mill stress test. That was normal as well and my cardiologist sent me home with no medications declaring this as possible anxiety.

I was OK with this for the next month and could feel the palpitations (PVCs) increase slowly. Also - I became hyper sensitive to the area of the chest that started this whole fiasco and now was convinced that i was having chest pains/discomfort. Not sure if you can do this in your head - just convince yourself that you have pain!!! :unsure: In any case went back to the same cardiologist and was put on a 24hr HOLTER test that came back with 12000 PVC over 24 hrs and a repeat 2D Echo that was also normal. Again - was sent home with no medication and the claim that this was just anxiety.

Now - I was clutching at straws.. I then met an endocrinologist to see if my earlier diagnosis of sub-clinical hypothyroidism (TSH - 6 stable over 4 years and no medications) could do this? He said no ways and said this was probably anxiety and referred me to a GP to look at possible GI issues.

Now - The GP looked at my charts and just referred me to a Psychiatrist. The psychiatrist listened to the complete story and confirmed that this was health anxiety and put me on a short term anti-depressant and benzodiazapene course.

Additionally - I started having weird symptoms after the PVC diagnosis. I started telling my wife that I had shortness of breath and that I couldn't take deep breath. I am not sure whether I really have shortness of breath or if it is something that I made up since I am now being told that I have anxiety. I am now scared to exercise in case I end up being breathless and messing my heart up due to the PVC's.

QUESTIONS here is - i have never had any symptoms of anxiety before all this. I only had mild/moderate social anxiety that resulted in avoidance behaviors but I managed it well. I also had a white coat phobia where i get severely anxious in a hospital. A simple blood pressure reading can send me spiraling out of control. But other than this - I consider myself a very relaxed and calm individual with no other signs of anxiety. I am
surprised that so many people are telling me that I have developed severe anxiety overnight - the kind that can give you 12000 + PVC's. And can anxiety make you imagine and make up stuff that you do not really have. And it wasn't anxiety that caused me to go to the doctor in the first place!!

Sorry for this long rambling post. Just having a really tough time recently and hard to digest that all these symptoms can be "JUST ANXIETY":shrug:.

Shimmy81
12-10-17, 12:45
Yes anxiety can cause all the symptoms you have mentioned.....in fact 2 months ago I had all the exact same presenting symptoms as you, both cardio and breathing....all tests like yours came back clear and I had them a done a few times. Was told that it’s a case of anxiety that causes these to happen and infa t they are classic signs.

I too never thought I would suffer or have suffered from anxiety but I went to see an occupational health therapist who explained to me you don’t have to “feel” anxious or have had something bad happen to you at the time for it trigger, sometimes it’s a build up of things from week, months even years and then the straw breaks the camels back. It was almost a feeling of an I anxious and that’s causing the symptoms or are the symptoms here first and I’m worried about them and that’s making me anxious?

I think it’s the former.

In your case also your tests are clear so I would believe in them and your doctors advice

Ethansmom
12-10-17, 15:01
Yes, it can ALL be anxiety. I am proof of that. It call started with a fast heart rate- then worry about the fast heart rate-- then anxiety- then PVC's-- then MANY hospital ER visits, only to be told it's all normal and just anxiety. I still didn't believe the doctors since the PVC's made me feel like I was about to drop dead. My doctor ordered a 24 hour holtor monitor, then a 30 day one. Not one abnormal thing found, even though I did experience PVC's. I still get them a few times a week. I find feeling full after meals, and eating certain foods can trigger them. Excitement, large crowds, feeling emotional, and over eating can cause these to happen.

srinux27
12-10-17, 16:53
Thank you both for your kind words. I am really struggling to understand the impact that this can have on your day to day affairs. Its difficult to wrap my head around the real physical symptoms that anxiety can produce. I guess you need to experience it to understand what it feels like.

The PVC's are terrible - even when you try to talk yourself out of it, whump a constant reminder that something is up. Really really hoping that I can get out of this downward loop that I am stuck in.

I must say resources like this forum are immensely useful and really appreciate all the folks here who are kind enough to spend time helping others.

Fishmanpa
12-10-17, 17:13
I'm not a sufferer. That being said, when my wife was going through her illness last year, the stress was off the charts. I experienced many of the symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) posters describe here (fatigue, loss of appetite, aches and pains, headaches, nausea, etc.). I knew exactly why it was happening.

Many here have difficulty believing stress and anxiety can do this... I tell you flat out it's true!

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
12-10-17, 18:23
I'm not a sufferer. That being said, when my wife was going through her illness last year, the stress was off the charts. I experienced many of the symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms) posters describe here (fatigue, loss of appetite, aches and pains, headaches, nausea, etc.). I knew exactly why it was happening.

Many here have difficulty believing stress and anxiety can do this... I tell you flat out it's true!

Positive thoughts

With your heart attack past, do you worry at least a bit? Or already going through the heart attacks you know exactly what to look for you know the rest is just the stress?

You’ve seen from me how bad I fear heart related things. And I’ve been avoiding posting and talking to myself that it’s anxiety. But I can’t accept it sometimes because the symptoms are bad. I’ve been walking on eggshells these past six months that maybe that’s the reason for my heart symptoms, it’s a load of stress but I also know a load of stress can really strain you, so how do you know when to go get seen?

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I’ve had it for a few months straight now. This funny weird sensation on my left side of the chest followed by this twitching that it makes it feel like my heart is having some palpitations, followed by the shortness of breath. And other symptoms. I’m running on a short fuse because it’s been months without feeling normal. I’m told it’s anxiety by everyone around me... I can’t get an official diagnosis for these symptoms this time around but I was brought to the anxiety forums after my first bout of these fears was officially diagnosed as anxiety and that was going on 5 years now.

ServerError
12-10-17, 18:31
With your heart attack past, do you worry at least a bit? Or already going through the heart attacks you know exactly what to look for you know the rest is just the stress?

I don't want to put words in Fishmanpa's mouth, and I'm sure he'll answer himself, but I think it's pretty clear that he recognises the futility and pointlessness of worry and is as focused on living andf enjoying his time as best he can.

He's only human and he's alluded many times to how difficult it sometimes is to stay positive. I'm sure he has occasional anxious thought, but that's very different to having an anxiety disorder.

Ultimately, he doesn't get into fights with things that are beyond his power to control, and he focuses on making the best of life through the things he can control.

Fishmanpa - feel free to correct me if anything I've said isn't right or appropriate.

Fishmanpa
12-10-17, 18:37

In general, no, I really don't worry about it. When I get chest pain from my angina, that raises a concern. I take a nitro pill and that 10 minutes or so before it kicks in are a bit stressful BUT... I know that all my recent tests have been good and the nitro takes care of the angina related pain. The thing is, with real heart pain associated with a heart attack or heart disease, at least from my experience, there's no questioning it. Both times it was excruciating! With my 2nd attack I was feeling a lot of pain, took a nitro.. nothing... it started getting worse and I was off to the ER. I actually had the heart attack in the ER!

Positive thoughts

And spot on Server ;)

srinux27
13-10-17, 05:19
You’ve seen from me how bad I fear heart related things. And I’ve been avoiding posting and talking to myself that it’s anxiety. But I can’t accept it sometimes because the symptoms are bad. I’ve been walking on eggshells these past six months that maybe that’s the reason for my heart symptoms, it’s a load of stress but I also know a load of stress can really strain you, so how do you know when to go get seen?

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I’ve had it for a few months straight now. This funny weird sensation on my left side of the chest followed by this twitching that it makes it feel like my heart is having some palpitations, followed by the shortness of breath. And other symptoms. I’m running on a short fuse because it’s been months without feeling normal. I’m told it’s anxiety by everyone around me... I can’t get an official diagnosis for these symptoms this time around but I was brought to the anxiety forums after my first bout of these fears was officially diagnosed as anxiety and that was going on 5 years now.

I am going through the exact same thing now. The PVC's are really disconcerting and whatever I try to do to avoid thinking about them doesn't really work. I also get this weird dull ache (not even sure it is an ache) on the left side if the chest - more so when just waking up in the morning.I also feel like I try to control my breathing nowadays - I caught myself holding my breath for no reason sometimes :weep:. I cant believe I was so normal before all this started.

VintageSpade
29-11-17, 04:23
I know this is an older thread but I registered to the forum to reply.

Yes. Absolutely anxiety can do this.

I have pretty focused heart related Anxiety. Everything you describe I've gone through more than once.
I too was "laid back" before my first ever panic attack sent me scrambling to the ER from work at age 35 convinced I was dying....over a year ago now.
Finding this forum has been an immense help. I'm browsing it now to remind myself of all the ways this anxiety can play with us as I battle a high anxiety night after almost 10 days of blessed calmness.

carljoseph
29-11-17, 13:07
This simple steps might help you get rid of anxiety.
* Repeat your worry until you’re bored silly
* Make it worse
* Don’t fight the craziness
* Recognize false alarms.
* Turn your anxiety into a movie.
* Set aside worry time
* Take your hand off the horn
* Breathe it out.
* Make peace with time.
* Don’t let your worries stop you from living your life.