PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a panic attack?Please help.

Bonnibelle
12-10-17, 15:08
I have had anxiety (GAD) and PTSD for 5 years, I have had many an anxiety attack that I describe as anxiety racing where I can't sit still and my brain feels on high alert and feel my stomach churning, feeling sick etc... For me that is my norm if anxiety is super high which thankfully wasn't very often.

Then 2 months ago whilst watching a tv show I saw blood on the screen and I suddenly had a panic attack out of the blue, well I think it was a panic attack. I had a hot rush to my face, vision felt black and I was shaking. My brain immediately feared I had that blood phobia that causes people to faint. Ever since I am terrified to see blood, terrified of seeing it on tv, or if people even talk about it. I can have a horrible attack like I had watching Emmerdale.

It got much better and i put it down to high anxiety. Then 2 weeks ago I had a horrible spike in my anxiety and ever since the fear of seeing blood incase I fainted became worse. Today is an example. I was brushing my teeth, saw some blood when I spat as I had brushed too hard and made my gum all sore. My brain then thought 'Oh no, blood, what if I have a funny turn and faint'. I then realised I was upstairs with no phone, what if I pass out and can't get help as i am home alone. I sat on the stop step and felt a hot rush to my face, face was on fire, I was shaking and I felt my vision going all black. By the time I got down to the living room I was shaking badly and my heart rate was well over 120. SO I thought 'Ok, this is the opposite of what a person with true blood phobia experiences as their blood pressure drops (I took mine at this point and it was high) they also don't feel hot and pulse will drop as they faint'. It didn't stop the attack and I just sat there trembling, fast heart, hot flushes to face and head and feeling all woozy in head and vision feeling a little dark at times so I was panicking I would faint.

Awful. I had got so much better with this issue but then out of the blue it triggers again. It's knocked my confidence. I rang hubby in tears afterwards and he said 'they are panic attacks because you fear you must have that blood phobia and you fear that only because you fear fainting'. He says they sound like classic panic attacks but when I googled panic it says tingling hands or feet, breathing difficulties, chest pain, feeling you are having a heart attack etc.... I get none of that. Mine are as I have described.

Can anyone relate? My hubby and friends say yup classic panic as I fear fainting so have latched onto blood being an issue because of the attack I had watching the tv 2 months ago, out of the blue. I am not one for panic attacks so this is all new to me and I feel very lost and not sure what to call this or how to deal with it.

Any advice or reassurance appreciated.

B x

floridagirl1984
12-10-17, 19:35
sure sounds like panic, with phobia.

Bonnibelle
12-10-17, 23:46
sure sounds like panic, with phobia.

Thank you. I'm really hoping it's not the true blood phobia though as that causes fainting.

EmmerLooeez
16-10-17, 20:55
Hey,

My panic attacks are very similar to this. Over the years they have come in all forms. When they first started I would get an adrenaline rush, hyperventilating, shaky hands and my heart would race. The next time I got poorly they presented differently. I wouldn't breathe fast, but rather feel like I couldn't breathe, my heart would miss beats rather than race.

Now I seem to get flushed in the face and have a fast heart beat. I go dizzy sometimes and get so tense. I've had so many symptoms with it over the years.

Yours does honestly sound like a panic attack. They don't always appear in the same way. I don't think you have a phobia, I think you're so anxious that your brain is looking around for a danger. With your GAD your anxiety is already sitting in the fight or flight mode, at a lower level than a panic attack but it is still present. When this happens the brain starts to look for potential dangers or threats. And I think yours has latched on to this phobia as a potential reason, but I don't think you have that phobia. Does that make sense?

There is some useful information on here on the home page relating to panic and anxiety symptoms and if you check out the symptoms board on here I'm sure you'll find others that have experienced the same things.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now but you will get better. Keep posting. We have all been through it and we're all behind you. Sending love. Xx

Lepidolite
17-10-17, 18:32
Hey,

My panic attacks are very similar to this. Over the years they have come in all forms. When they first started I would get an adrenaline rush, hyperventilating, shaky hands and my heart would race. The next time I got poorly they presented differently. I wouldn't breathe fast, but rather feel like I couldn't breathe, my heart would miss beats rather than race.

Now I seem to get flushed in the face and have a fast heart beat. I go dizzy sometimes and get so tense. I've had so many symptoms with it over the years.

Yours does honestly sound like a panic attack. They don't always appear in the same way. I don't think you have a phobia, I think you're so anxious that your brain is looking around for a danger. With your GAD your anxiety is already sitting in the fight or flight mode, at a lower level than a panic attack but it is still present. When this happens the brain starts to look for potential dangers or threats. And I think yours has latched on to this phobia as a potential reason, but I don't think you have that phobia. Does that make sense?

There is some useful information on here on the home page relating to panic and anxiety symptoms and if you check out the symptoms board on here I'm sure you'll find others that have experienced the same things.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now but you will get better. Keep posting. We have all been through it and we're all behind you. Sending love. Xx

Emme, thank you so much for replying to me.

Today has been tough, my friend went into to have her baby, and it triggered lots of images and thoughts in my head of the medical kind. I ended up all day having severe high anxiety then random panic attacks.. I literally all day sat shaking, feeling sick, dizzy, hot flushes to my face, fears I had a phobia and would faint. I was worried could I faint just thinking these things. It was awful. I still feel my general anxiety is high, I feel sick still and generally wiped out. I am beyond exhausted. This went on from 9am until about 3pm and it's been at a slightly lower level since but still high enough to make me feel terrible.

I am terrified I have some kind of phobia and I don't know how many times today I took my blood pressure worried it would be low.

At the weekend I had some panic attacks and would feel shaken for a few hours but this has been all day long and i feel awful. Hubby said it sounds more like my general anxiety is super high. I just hope tomorrow I feel better, I have been alone crying all day worried sick what is wrong with me.

Thank you for replying to me, it's really helped reassure me on a day I needed it the most.

Lep

EmmerLooeez
18-10-17, 00:22
Oh Lep I am so very sorry that you're struggling so much right now. Are you on any medication? Perhaps a visit to the GP might help?

I've found for prolonged panic that distraction is the best technique. I've recently fallen in love with piano and that it something I have to really focus on and it is quite cathartic. Do you feel able to throw yourself into an activity?

Hey, I'm around here most days and if you're struggling you are more than welcome to send me a PM. Or even a text/WhatsApp message. You don't have to struggle alone.

I don't think you have a phobia. I really think your anxiety is running wild at the minute. Hang on in there. It will pass. Try and find something beautiful to focus on. It might not feel like it now but ultimately you are in control of your thoughts and you can beat this. Xxx

Lepidolite
18-10-17, 11:42
Oh Lep I am so very sorry that you're struggling so much right now. Are you on any medication? Perhaps a visit to the GP might help?

I've found for prolonged panic that distraction is the best technique. I've recently fallen in love with piano and that it something I have to really focus on and it is quite cathartic. Do you feel able to throw yourself into an activity?

Hey, I'm around here most days and if you're struggling you are more than welcome to send me a PM. Or even a text/WhatsApp message. You don't have to struggle alone.

I don't think you have a phobia. I really think your anxiety is running wild at the minute. Hang on in there. It will pass. Try and find something beautiful to focus on. It might not feel like it now but ultimately you are in control of your thoughts and you can beat this. Xxx

Emme,

Thank you again, you're so very kind.

I really don't see the point in seeing my GP, I have been though high anxiety before and all they suggest is diazepam which I'd never take, or increasing the medication i take which I also wouldn't do. I had started withdrawing off my meds after 4 years as I felt they weren't helping. I came down from 15mg to 12mg in afew months, I was advised to do it slowly as Mirtazapine is hard to wean off. I was fine until I got to 12mg 2 months ago and that is when the anxiety and panic hit.

I also though experienced alot of anxiety a month ago. The 5 year date of when my brother attacked me was 3 weeks ago and during that week my sister got married, someone close to me really upset me and I triggered with serious anxiety after seeing a picture of my brother online at my sisters wedding. I don't have any contact with my family (mother or siblings) since my bother attacked me as I was cut off when I refused to forgive my brother for what he did to me. This is why I have GAD, agoraphobia etc.. I had therapy and things were good again but then I began with health issues 2 years ago and then the GAD and agoraphobia issues began again which my GP said would lessen as my physical health improved. My health has improved recently but I have been under a lot of stress, we have been doing renovations to our house for 3 months, hubby busy every weekend doing that so I have been coping alone, plus chronic illness and 3 children, plus the past trauma spikes with family. I guess it's no wonder this has flared up.

If it's ok to message you that would be lovely having someone to talk to. Thank you for offering, that's very kind of you.

Lil

EmmerLooeez
18-10-17, 12:27
Lil,

It sounds like we have more in common than I thought. I am experiencing a kind of delayed PTSD after reporting childhood trauma last year, it brought it all back for me. I also have three children! And anxiety, etc.

Do you think that you were doing better on the higher dose of mirtazipine or are you happy on the wean? It could well be that you are feeling like this because of the circumstances you mentioned and also because you're adjusting to the lower dose. Xx

Lepidolite
19-10-17, 14:17
Lil,

It sounds like we have more in common than I thought. I am experiencing a kind of delayed PTSD after reporting childhood trauma last year, it brought it all back for me. I also have three children! And anxiety, etc.

Do you think that you were doing better on the higher dose of mirtazipine or are you happy on the wean? It could well be that you are feeling like this because of the circumstances you mentioned and also because you're adjusting to the lower dose. Xx

Oh I am sorry to hear that. PTSD is awful. It led to me having GAD and agoraphobia.

I didn't think Mirtazapine was doing much other than helping me sleep and eat, so due to weight gain I wanted to wean off. Big mistake as once I got down from 15 to 12mg that's when the general anxiety returned badly. I am now working slowly back to 15mg and may have to accept I need it. I didn't think it was helping my anxiety much but it must have been. Well you live and learn lol!

Feel free to message me if it's easier than messaging here.

Lil

NotCool
19-10-17, 21:48
Text book panic attack.

Lepidolite
22-10-17, 10:51
Text book panic attack.

That's reassuring, thank you.

I posted on the ocd board as I'm worried with how my thoughts are triggering the attacks so I'm afraid I've a phobia. Or something.