PDA

View Full Version : Driving Anxiety plus others

Kendra
12-10-17, 17:20
Hi,
It's been a while since my last post but currently in the middle of a blip/relapse! I know this won't last but it's still pretty scary!
Just wanted to ask is there many of you out there that suffer with anx regarding driving? I'm so so anxious and panic about driving out of my comfort zone, I get all those adrenalin rushes, sweating, fear of fainting etc.... I sometimes just end up not doing it because I'm that scared!!!
I also fear not being able to leave areas/situations if I panic and also hate returning to them i case it happens again!!
How do people cope with this because a lot of the time I allow it to totally control me and I feel like other people seem to just get on with it and I end up overthinking everything and end up not doing it!!!
Any suggestions would be truly helpful xxx

swgrl09
12-10-17, 19:08
I'm in the middle of a rough patch too... it's scary when you have a blip after doing well. I never had anxiety while driving before but lately have had trouble some days needing my husband to drive me to work. I have been getting light-headed and passing out due to panic attacks. Right now it is really affecting my ability to work. I started meds again last week because it's been so bad, even though I didn't want to because I'm pregnant. I also feel like it is totally controlling me right now too.

I think it's really about slowly exposing yourself to your fears in safe ways. Don't start with the scariest first. Take it easy. Maybe short drives at a time then slowly increase. I don't know, I wish I had better advice but I can relate to how you are feeling lately. I hope you feel better soon.:hugs:

Juggar
13-10-17, 06:33
Sometimes you can make mountains out of molehills in your brain, happens especially with anxiety.

I’ve had a little driving anxiety, but once I start driving around it normally goes away. Just gotta get out there and do it. The more avoidant you become the worse it gets in my experience.

Kendra
13-10-17, 10:07
Totally agree Jugger and I am the worst person ever for avoidance!! The fear takes over me then I panic and hey I'm back to square one!!

I didn't think you could pass out with an anxiety attack? Omg that's my greatest fear!!! Xxx

Carrie8484
13-10-17, 22:40
I'm a very nervous driver. In fact im pretty incompetent when it comes to driving and I know a lot of this is down to anxiety and my brain going to mush when I start to panic.
I only drive locally and even that is nerve wracking.
The final straw came after an accident a few weeks ago and I said I would hand back my license as I just can't do it.
But I'm taking a few extra lessons now and I'm going to see how I feel once I've driven with an instructor a few more times.

Kendra
15-10-17, 09:10
My job involves a lot of driving and when I know where I am I'm mostly fine but anything out my comfort zone I'm a nightmare! I've told work how I'm feeling at the moment and they have been really helpful so that takes the pressure off a bit!
So I feel your pain hun! Good luck with the extra lessons xxx

Juggar
16-10-17, 07:20
Totally agree Jugger and I am the worst person ever for avoidance!! The fear takes over me then I panic and hey I'm back to square one!!

I didn't think you could pass out with an anxiety attack? Omg that's my greatest fear!!! Xxx

I wouldn’t worry about passing out, personally I’ve not heard or ever seen this happen in my own life or in others. I’m sure it might have happened to some people but I don’t think it’s common.

When I’ve had feelings of panic come over me when driving, I can generally ward it off by focusing intensely on the driving. Talking to someone else in the car REALLY helped.

shakey1961
16-10-17, 10:14
I have some weird driving anxieties, which affect me to a lesser extent as a passenger too.

I find it difficult to drive up (what I would call) a steep hill. My rational mind tells me I'm driving a heavy car, nearly 2 tonnes, it's not going anywhere without me telling it to. However, I have this daft idea that it will slide backwards, and this is on a dry day perfect conditions. I start to get dizzy and my hands clench around the steering wheel, almost a white knuckle ride lol. I have to try and stay calm.

I think it could also be the tall building at the side of the road that don't help.

Same with motorways, but I don't like them as my blood sugar can drop and I'd have no-way of getting off to get help, so I wisely keep away from them.

However, I've found a way to get myself doing things I've previously found difficult. What I do is I swear to myself. I tell myself to stop being a stupid f***ing bas**rd, and to relax. It's only a f***ing hill and to stop being an ar***ole"

Probably the swearing is taking my mind of concentrating on the anxiety.

If it works, why not.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Oh... and as for passing out - I heard many years ago that you pass out when you blood pressure drops. When you're having a panic, your heart is beating faster so your blood pressure is higher, so unless there's some medical condition I'm unaware of, it's impossible to pass out when panicking.

Worrywart1234
17-10-17, 12:05
Absolutely!! I still don't have my drivers license and show a proof of age card as my photo id at 39 years old! I've had my Ls three times, l times I've let it expire. You're behind the wheeling a deadly weapon, it terrifies me.

Kendra
17-10-17, 21:36
Shakey, I do exactly the same thing. On mornings I wake up with all those feelings I stare in the mirror and say you stupid idiot!!!! Sometimes it does work your right!! I'm can't drive on motorways or A19 etc! Freaks me out because I can't get off when I want!

I won't fly because of it either in case I panic and want to get out!!

I'm petrified of passing out and making myself look stupid!! Pleased it's not common!! I'll sleep easy at night now!!

Sending hug worry wart if I'd had this when I passed my test at 18 I wouldn't have passed!!!