PDA

View Full Version : never google EVER

kimwolf
12-10-17, 21:50
I want to challenge myself to never google symptoms ever again. If I never googled 2 months ago I would be happy......we would be with our friends and family making memories, instead of sitting at the computer looking up symptoms. I want my life back. This no way to live.....the symptoms are what's getting me now. I've beat this before, I just need to beat it for good. The symptoms are scary(blurry/cloudy vison, numbness,etc..) once I learn to ignore those they will go away and hopefully I will be done. I know its easier said than done(trust me I was almost happy...then boom another symptom). they just have a way of popping up. Then I'm back on DR.Google.i think that's what gets me. I have a new anxiety symptom and without even thinking oh maybe this is just anxiety, I start googling. then comes up all these actual conditions and illness. Not even thinking "this is not right I've never had so many problems just popping up out of the blue. then we actually go to a doctor with years of experience telling us we're fine, but cant trust them because we heard about doctors making mistakes and missing things. Mistakes do happen, but not often. if doctors made mistakes constantly then......maybe we might think about firing them all. we all need trust in this. Put trust in those that help you. So many people have moved past this storm. everything's gonna be alright. you're going to be great. Just think "If I move past this I will never be afraid of anything ever again" After this I will probably be able to do anything. no more Googling symptoms. EVER. I will beat this and get my beautiful life back.

Velvet
12-10-17, 22:11
Hi.

All good wishes to you
You have a determination that will enable you to get through this...
And get your life back..
I wanted to wish you well
Best wishes x

Brian_VA
13-10-17, 00:57
Another anxiety site I belonged to would sometimes have a thread where people would post how many days they have gone without googling symptoms

Ellient
13-10-17, 01:01
I wish people wouldn't google their symptoms, I find it can be very self destructive if you took yourself down to the doctor for symptoms without googling the anxiety wouldn't be there.

I can't imagine why anyone would spend anytime on the internet looking for websites that contain information about a disease they're worried about, do they expect reassurance?

Life would be better if we all just went to the GP instead of having the internet, why google anyway? It's not always gonna be true, people can lie, people can do anything on the internet it isn't going to be accurate information, if I have a worry I will always use the NHS website. I have never panicked reading one of those.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srinux27
13-10-17, 05:29
I wish people wouldn't google their symptoms, I find it can be very self destructive if you took yourself down to the doctor for symptoms without googling the anxiety wouldn't be there.

I can't imagine why anyone would spend anytime on the internet looking for websites that contain information about a disease they're worried about, do they expect reassurance?

Life would be better if we all just went to the GP instead of having the internet, why google anyway? It's not always gonna be true, people can lie, people can do anything on the internet it isn't going to be accurate information, if I have a worry I will always use the NHS website. I have never panicked reading one of those.

Best of luck to you.

Completely agree with this. Before Google came along - I used to have complete faith in my doctor and whatever medications were prescribed. Now I have this overwhelming need to constantly question the doctors and their expertise. I believe this partly comes from Google again - where you read all these stories about misdiagnosis and this one off case where they did all the tests but the guy still dies the next day!!

I also developed a severe phobia of going to the doctor. This happened because I Googled the results from an ECG that was done incorrectly. It had such a negative imprint on me that I cant shake or alleviate those fears any more!! I hate searching on Google but cant bring myself to stop either - I think has more to do with control (If you can Google you are more in control of what you find and understand - kind of like preparing yourself for the worst??).

Ellient
13-10-17, 05:33
Completely agree with this. Before Google came along - I used to have complete faith in my doctor and whatever medications were prescribed. Now I have this overwhelming need to constantly question the doctors and their expertise. I believe this partly comes from Google again - where you read all these stories about misdiagnosis and this one off case where they did all the tests but the guy still dies the next day!!

I also developed a severe phobia of going to the doctor. This happened because I Googled the results from an ECG that was done incorrectly. It had such a negative imprint on me that I cant shake or alleviate those fears any more!! I hate searching on Google but cant bring myself to stop either - I think has more to do with control (If you can Google you are more in control of what you find and understand - kind of like preparing yourself for the worst??).

I am sorry to hear that, it must be awful not being able trust your doctor but you have to because he is the person who will make you better - not doctor google!

I feel it's very much to do with control, the internet is full of crazy horror stories about everything "chocolate causes cancer". It really is questionable what these sites gain from making people worry like this.

I try to only stick to medically approved websites here in the UK that is the NHS, only because you know the information is 100% accurate, it also says "uncommon causes" instead if you type it in and find a forum you will definitely have some type of terminal illness.

Hope you feel better soon.

Darksky
13-10-17, 14:27
This is the downside of the Internet. There is a load of bull poop on it. Eat this and you will die. Don't eat this and you will die. The world is going to end on Maytember 54th or whenever. People can write whatever they feel like. I could set up a medical website myself and spout off about various ailments.
Real doctors don't like dr google either or even medical info in magazines. I remember years ago I announced to my gp I wanted to try propranolol because I'd read about it in a magazine. He was less than impressed and I got a lecture about believing stuff in magazines. Fortunately my anx doesn't go down the HA route because the Internet is the devils playground for it.

swgrl09
13-10-17, 14:40
My ob/gyn just told me that he hates the internet so much for this reason. Googling is such a trap and terrifying. The only good thing googling ever did was lead me to no more panic!

CHELLEB1017
13-10-17, 14:54
I come here now!! Googling actually gave me the anxiety issue I have now. Google for medical issues sucks!!!

budgie1979
13-10-17, 16:42

I totally agree--having all this information at our fingertips is great, but it does have some major drawbacks. Mayo Clinic is another good medical website that I find to be pretty non-scary if you absolutely must look up something. I don't google symptoms anymore, but do read up on the conditions I've actually been diagnosed with (GERD most recently). Even that can freak you out if you are anxiety prone, so best to stick to the more reputable websites like Mayo Clinic or NHS.

Fishmanpa
13-10-17, 16:48
This subject has been talked about here many times. Prior to the internet, there was the library and books... (Remember them? ;) )

Looking back, I remember there was always quite a few people in the library in the medical books section reading about diseases and doing the same thing HAers are doing with the internet.

Positive thoughts

melfish
13-10-17, 17:02
Looking back, I remember there was always quite a few people in the library in the medical books section reading about diseases and doing the same thing HAers are doing with the internet.

That was me! :shades:

Ellient
13-10-17, 19:45
This subject has been talked about here many times. Prior to the internet, there was the library and books... (Remember them? ;) )

Positive thoughts

The medical books I used to read used to have a lot more information in, I used to have to stop reading after a while.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, they say doctors make the worse patients, imagine what they have to read.