PDA

View Full Version : Nervous breakdown, severe health anxiety and OCD - any help appreciated

O_O
13-10-17, 18:58
Sorry in advance for the long post. I've had some sort of nervous breakdown and been diagnosed with OCD and health anxiety. I'm so scared something is actually wrong and I'm even cursed, even though I've never believed in that sort of thing.

I've always been very healthy, active, productive at work and generally a happy person. I've had some mild symptoms of anxiety and OCD throughout my life, but nothing debilitating.

I got pregnant several months ago. I was scared I would miscarry as my mother had several miscarriages, I had some spotting, and after a couple of months my pregnancy symptoms subsided. I saw a strong heartbeat at an early 7 week scan. The baby measured 6 weeks, but I was told I'd probably just ovulated late. Everyone told me the baby would be fine. At my 12 week scan I found out it had died at about 9 weeks.

I was devastated, but probably not disproportionately. Two days later I took misoprostol to induce miscarriage. A few hours of agony later I passed some tissue and thought it was over. A few days later at work, I went to the toilet and could feel something coming out of me. I thought I was having a uterine prolapse. I went to A&E. They said it was more pregnancy tissue that was stuck. They pulled it out with forceps. I was still ok at this point.

A later scan showed I still had retained tissue. I was told I would probably have to have a D&C under general anesthesia. This is the hardest part to talk about, where I flipped. I told them if I had a general, I would die.

The next couple of weeks were a nightmare of trying to get a referral to a hospital that would perform an MVA under local. I succeeded. I tried misoprostol one more time, with no success. I also became anaemic and had a week of utter terror of becoming more anaemic. Using expensive home tests and obsessively checking my friends eyelids against my own, I convinced myself I was getting worse. I had physical symptoms of anaemia. But I was wrong, and my anaemia had actually resolved. The symptoms had been anxiety.

I had the MVA in mid September. They scanned me after and said it was all clear. Four days later I passed a 3cm piece of tissue. They told me it must have been trapped in my cervix and missed in the scan. I became obsessed with the idea of gestational trophoblastic disease. None of the tissue analysed showed any evidence of this.

I started having blood tests to track HCG, the pregnancy hormone, to check it was coming down. My GP said it would probably be undetectable. It was 18. Four days later, it was still 18. I was told it would begin to drop. I didn't believe anyone, but it did.

As of my last test, on Monday, it was 5. At every test so far I've been terrified of a plateau or rise. I started seeing a clinical psychologist and taking diazepam, but have stopped taking that since I've heard it may increase HCG levels.

On Wednesday I had what I can only describe as a nervous breakdown. I became convinced I was going to die soon. I am terrified my HCG will plateau or rise, indicating some sort of cancer. I've been off work for some time, have split up with my partner, have moved in with my mother, and can't do anything. I try to eat, but I've lost a lot of weight and am now underweight. I can't get out of bed. My next HCG test is Thursday. Probably my last one if HCG is under 5. My doctor has said I need to go on an SSRI to combat the OCD and anxiety.

I've been wrong about some things, but some of my greatest fears have also been true. I feel like I am going to die soon. I have moments where I manage to keep the anxiety down, but I am mostly filled with dread and fear. It feels like a premonition.

Can anybody relate.

Thank you,

Jenny

Rtpx
13-10-17, 20:47
Sorry that you experience a mmc :( I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy last year so can empathise with you on that level x

With regards to the debilitating health anxiety I can totally relate. Mine is so bad currently, I keep having panic attacks, the helplessness is overwhelming. Convinced I'm dying of this that and the other. It's also putting a strain in my relationship and preventing me from living a normal life. I can't eat or sleep. Awaiting a colonoscopy currently and the thought of what they might find tips me over the edge

Buster70
13-10-17, 21:02
Hi, I'm not surprised you feel like you are having a breakdown after what you've been through you must be feeling emotionally and physically drained , you need time to heal , lots of us get that feeling of impending doom when my anxiety is bad and I'm tired it can pop in my head from nowhere and I'll feel like I'm taking my last breath , it does pass it's just horrible while it's there .
Take care :hugs:

O_O
14-10-17, 12:09
Thank you both. I just feel like this feeling is on another level from anything I've experienced before. I genuinely can't function. Nearly every minute of every day I'm sitting with dread and fear, and have been for two months. I have the occasional minute when I get on top of it and, after receiving good news, have had the occasional day where I've felt good. But now it seems to have taken over. I've lost so much weight from not eating, and when I sleep my dreams are disturbing so I get no respite. I can't see a way out. I can't believe there's nothing physically wrong with me.

snowflake293
15-10-17, 09:19
Sorry in advance for the long post. I've had some sort of nervous breakdown and been diagnosed with OCD and health anxiety. I'm so scared something is actually wrong and I'm even cursed, even though I've never believed in that sort of thing.

I've always been very healthy, active, productive at work and generally a happy person. I've had some mild symptoms of anxiety and OCD throughout my life, but nothing debilitating.

I got pregnant several months ago. I was scared I would miscarry as my mother had several miscarriages, I had some spotting, and after a couple of months my pregnancy symptoms subsided. I saw a strong heartbeat at an early 7 week scan. The baby measured 6 weeks, but I was told I'd probably just ovulated late. Everyone told me the baby would be fine. At my 12 week scan I found out it had died at about 9 weeks.

I was devastated, but probably not disproportionately. Two days later I took misoprostol to induce miscarriage. A few hours of agony later I passed some tissue and thought it was over. A few days later at work, I went to the toilet and could feel something coming out of me. I thought I was having a uterine prolapse. I went to A&E. They said it was more pregnancy tissue that was stuck. They pulled it out with forceps. I was still ok at this point.

A later scan showed I still had retained tissue. I was told I would probably have to have a D&C under general anesthesia. This is the hardest part to talk about, where I flipped. I told them if I had a general, I would die.

The next couple of weeks were a nightmare of trying to get a referral to a hospital that would perform an MVA under local. I succeeded. I tried misoprostol one more time, with no success. I also became anaemic and had a week of utter terror of becoming more anaemic. Using expensive home tests and obsessively checking my friends eyelids against my own, I convinced myself I was getting worse. I had physical symptoms of anaemia. But I was wrong, and my anaemia had actually resolved. The symptoms had been anxiety.

I had the MVA in mid September. They scanned me after and said it was all clear. Four days later I passed a 3cm piece of tissue. They told me it must have been trapped in my cervix and missed in the scan. I became obsessed with the idea of gestational trophoblastic disease. None of the tissue analysed showed any evidence of this.

I started having blood tests to track HCG, the pregnancy hormone, to check it was coming down. My GP said it would probably be undetectable. It was 18. Four days later, it was still 18. I was told it would begin to drop. I didn't believe anyone, but it did.

As of my last test, on Monday, it was 5. At every test so far I've been terrified of a plateau or rise. I started seeing a clinical psychologist and taking diazepam, but have stopped taking that since I've heard it may increase HCG levels.

On Wednesday I had what I can only describe as a nervous breakdown. I became convinced I was going to die soon. I am terrified my HCG will plateau or rise, indicating some sort of cancer. I've been off work for some time, have split up with my partner, have moved in with my mother, and can't do anything. I try to eat, but I've lost a lot of weight and am now underweight. I can't get out of bed. My next HCG test is Thursday. Probably my last one if HCG is under 5. My doctor has said I need to go on an SSRI to combat the OCD and anxiety.

I've been wrong about some things, but some of my greatest fears have also been true. I feel like I am going to die soon. I have moments where I manage to keep the anxiety down, but I am mostly filled with dread and fear. It feels like a premonition.

Can anybody relate.

Thank you,

Jenny

Jenny I read you post. You poor thing, I know your pain and it is truly one of the worst things we can experience. I am so sorry this isn't your first loss either. I can relate so much when you say it feels like a premonition. Because I feared losing my baby, then it happened, I know worry that everything I fear will also come true.

Recovering from a traumatic experience like this isn't straight forward as you know, and is full of ups, downs and setbacks. I lost my baby 4 months ago and I feel in a very dark and lonely place still, but I do have some good days too and I am able to live my life and 'appear' ok most of the time, but deep down I am still in so much emotional pain.

I have been referred for an assessment for some talking therapy, to see what is best for me. Have you been offered anything like that?

Sending you a big hug, I know how awful this is - especially when health anxiety is involved. It is nothing short of a nightmare, but we can and will find our way through this living hell.

I have bought a book, 'Overcoming Health Anxiety' off Amazon. If it is any good I will let you know. I am willing to try anything as I can not live my life like this.

O_O
15-10-17, 10:41
Jenny I read you post. You poor thing, I know your pain and it is truly one of the worst things we can experience. I am so sorry this isn't your first loss either. I can relate so much when you say it feels like a premonition. Because I feared losing my baby, then it happened, I know worry that everything I fear will also come true.

Recovering from a traumatic experience like this isn't straight forward as you know, and is full of ups, downs and setbacks. I lost my baby 4 months ago and I feel in a very dark and lonely place still, but I do have some good days too and I am able to live my life and 'appear' ok most of the time, but deep down I am still in so much emotional pain.

I have been referred for an assessment for some talking therapy, to see what is best for me. Have you been offered anything like that?

Sending you a big hug, I know how awful this is - especially when health anxiety is involved. It is nothing short of a nightmare, but we can and will find our way through this living hell.

I have bought a book, 'Overcoming Health Anxiety' off Amazon. If it is any good I will let you know. I am willing to try anything as I can not live my life like this.

Thank you snowflake. I am sorry that you've been through this too. I feel like I only grieved for my baby for a couple of days before the health anxiety took over. It sounds awful, but I think I'm more scared for myself than I am sad about my baby. Even though when I found out I'd lost the baby I was completely inconsolable. Just too many emotions!