PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new to this site.

jwing
13-10-17, 21:14
Please excuse mistakes as I have no idea how to use this kind of site properly. I used to belong to No Panic decades ago - a great support then. I have been agoraphobic for about 40 years - I'm 60 now. I've used daily going out exposure for decades to try to manage my agoraphobia but never completely eradicated it. I have had quite severe M.E. and Fibromyalgia also for around 14 years - which are physical illnesses. This has scuppered efforts of independence as I am not physically well enough to go out independently. I can still go out with my husband though, who I can travel with quite well. Physically I can walk short distances and manage at home, but have to use a wheelchair to go further afield. Being agoraphobic doesn't mean I'm not adventurous - I love exploring new places! I have always struggled with phobic anxiety and social phobia in specific situations leading to avoidance. Some situations I can manage reasonably but I do not find social situations easy. I try to overcome it though - I run my local M.E group, so can be extrovert and push my boundaries sometimes, but it's never easy or comfortable.

venusbluejeans
13-10-17, 21:23
Hiya jwing and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

jwing
13-10-17, 21:39
venusbluejeans - thank you :) I am enjoying looking around and trying to find out how it works. I've never been on a forum like this before. I'll check the places you mentioned..

Velvet
15-10-17, 00:48
Hi and welcome.

I’m fairly new here too. Just wanted to say hello x

sue05
16-10-17, 22:28
Hi Jwing

I'm new too, so wanted to say hello and let you know you're not alone.

Sue

lior
16-10-17, 23:14
Hello! I'm not new, been on here for about 8 years.

Jwing - I also have ME!! I'm on Phoenix Rising, which is specific to ME/fibro sufferers. I've found it super helpful in understanding ME, which I've only had for about a year. I think it may be a bigger forum than here.

NMP is particularly excellent for talking about health anxiety, and agoraphobia, and depression/anx medications. The NMP community has certainly helped me on days that I've struggled to leave the house. There used to be more people around who would talk about depression and panic attacks, but it's more about health anxiety atm. Still, people are supportive, whatever problems you bring to the table. It's a very emotionally supportive community here.

I hope you find what you seek :)