PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have epilepsy? How do you cope?

Howl
14-10-17, 12:07
My current bout of anxiety that’s been ongoing for the past two years is due to me being diagnosed officially with epilepsy.

I had a couple of seizures in my teens, but they stopped for 6 years, and those years were great. I thought I had grown out of the epilepsy. But in August 2015 I had another seizure, and since then my life has been consumed by fear.

I was signed off work in January due to anxiety, depression and agoraphobia, and it looks like I’m set to lose my job.

I just can’t get a hold on it, I can’t live my life with this fear of having a seizure. My epilepsy isn’t even severe, in comparison to some people’s, I haven’t had another grand mal since 2015, only having simple partials sporadically (which are terrifying in themselves). My mind is consumed by the thought of death and losing control. I have yet to go onto medication for the epilepsy, because I’m terrified of taking it due to the long and short term effects it can have, and I feel like I’m potentially putting myself up for other health problems by taking a med to combat an existing problem.

Anyone have any experiences? How to come to terms with epilepsy and live life without it affecting you? I’m trying to get my anxiety down enough so that I’m able to take medication to control the seizures, without instantly vomiting after taking one.

ServerError
14-10-17, 12:42
I don't have epilepsy, but I do know people who do.

I can tell you right now that one of main ways they cope with it is by TAKING THEIR MEDICATION. It's extremely important in epilepsy. A friend of mine has quite severe epilepsy, but hasn't ever had a seizure while on his medication.

He lives an incredibly active life. He's always off hiking the hills and going on holiday and stuff. He said to me only a week or so ago how grateful he is to have his medication.