PDA

View Full Version : Pilonidal cyst?

braginskaya
14-10-17, 12:07
So, very occasionally (we're talking three times in the past year and a half, since I first noticed it happen?) I seem to get minor swelling and pain near my tailbone, at the top of my bum crack and slightly to the right. The pain isn't severe - I can only feel it when I sit in a certain position or press on the affected area. It goes down again in a week or two at most, although it does still sometimes feel like there's a small lump in the flesh where the pain and swelling usually develops.

I Googled it (bad idea, I know) and it sounds as though it's either a pilonidal cyst or some sort of tumour, but from what I've heard a cyst would be almost unbearably painful and might have a pimple-like head (which mine doesn't), while a tumour would have noticeably and continually grown in the amount of time I seem to have had it instead of swelling up and then shrinking again.

I'm trying not to worry too much, but I have no idea what it could be - has anyone else had anything similar?

JoeCanuck
17-10-17, 14:31
I have a Pilinoidal Cyst, and what you described sounds pretty close to what I experience when I have a flare-up. I've only had unbearable pain from it one time. All of the other times it gets inflamed, hurts a bit, and either just shrinks away or drains (gross).

You should go have a doctor look at it regardless, as your doctor can rule out any shenanigans and give you a prescription for antibiotics to take when it flares up to shorten the duration (if you care to do that, I don't).