PDA

View Full Version : Will I get paralyzed from flu vaccine? Is it safe?

scaredpt
14-10-17, 17:00
I just got the flu shot and now am freaking out about side effects. I’ve heard you can get paralyzed etc from vaccines!

Annie0904
14-10-17, 17:05
No you can't get paralyzed from it. You might have a sore arm for a few days but that will be all.

Ellient
14-10-17, 17:13
There is always horror stories about vaccines, if they were capable of doing that they wouldn't give them out.

If you look for bad stories of flu vaccines you will find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melfish
14-10-17, 18:48
I've never thought about getting a flu vaccine. Is that something people get even if they aren't old/infirm?

NervUs
14-10-17, 18:52
I've never thought about getting a flu vaccine. Is that something people get even if they aren't old/infirm?

I always have them pushed on me at work to minimize sick days. That has happened every place I've worked in the past 15 years.

I used to get them when my kids were little so that they didn't need to get them, i.e. when I was staying home with them and they weren't getting exposed to much outside of the house.

I am not old and infirm:winks: but I get them now because, for the past year, I get persisent asthma cough after even minor colds, so the pulmonologist wanted me to get one to prevent the risk of a flare up.

melfish
14-10-17, 18:56
I recently found out I have Alpha-1 (not the worst form though), and I'm supposed to protect my lungs. So maybe I should consider this too.

Fishmanpa
14-10-17, 19:01
Even with the vaccine you can still catch the flu. I believe it's about 60-70% effective. I just get it and don't think twice. 60-70% effective is WAY better than getting it!

Positive thoughts

NervUs
14-10-17, 19:03
I recently found out I have Alpha-1 (not the worst form though), and I'm supposed to protect my lungs. So maybe I should consider this too.

I had to google alpha 1, but people with COPD are supposed to get the flu shot. And pneumonia shots!

I would just do it if I were you.

melfish
14-10-17, 19:38
Yeah, probably should. I don't have COPD as far as I know and I want to keep it that way. (I only have one screwed up gene, not two.)

AntsyVee
14-10-17, 21:12
Getting the flu vaccine is a great idea for everyone! No, you will not get paralyzed from it. It is given to people with weakened immune systems, diabetes, asthma, MS, and other chronic conditions so that they hopefully won't get the flu. Like FMP said, it's not always 100%, but the effectiveness increases with the more people who get the vaccine. That's herd immunity, and that's how we keep certain strains from being epidemic.

Mel, if you go in to get a flu shot, get checked out about your other worries too.

scaredpt
14-10-17, 21:17
I’m in the US. The recommendation is for everyone to get the shot. Plus my grad programme is in a hospital so they recommend we get shots because we will be exposed to the flu.

Mamafox2
14-10-17, 21:37
The “paralyzing” part you’re talking about Guillian barre syndrome.. you can get that from any viral infection and it’s just as rare in that form I think it’s like 1 in1million!! No worries morelikelyro felt the flu which is a nightmare so good youpeotected yourself

AntsyVee
15-10-17, 00:02
Get the shot; you work in the hospital. This should not even be a question for you.

swgrl09
15-10-17, 00:20
I’ve had no choice as I worked in a hospital the past 4 years so it was required. I truly never had issues with it and would like to avoid the flu if at all possible!

ServerError
15-10-17, 01:04
You have to be 65+ or suffer from a long term health condition to get it on the NHS in the UK.

I think that's the case, anyway. I don't think you can get it just because you want it.

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-17, 04:33
You have to be 65+ or suffer from a long term health condition to get it on the NHS in the UK.

I think that's the case, anyway. I don't think you can get it just because you want it.

Anyone can have one in the UK, you just pay about £9. They do them in supermarket pharmacies like Tesco. The NHS only give them out free for the groups you mention, which I fall into as I have asthma.

I would have thought hospital staff have no choice since they have to consider the risks to patients and those more at risk groups. :shrug:

They send patient letters prior to the drive. I had my letter about a weak ago.

A few years back anyone could have one as they ran walk-in clinics on certain days. People would be queueing in the street at my surgery. I'm not sure if they do this anymore though.

Ellient
15-10-17, 05:18
Anyone can have one in the UK, you just pay about £9. They do them in supermarket pharmacies like Tesco. The NHS only give them out free for the groups you mention, which I fall into as I have asthma.

I would have thought hospital staff have no choice since they have to consider the risks to patients and those more at risk groups. :shrug:

They send patient letters prior to the drive. I had my letter about a weak ago.

A few years back anyone could have one as they ran walk-in clinics on certain days. People would be queueing in the street at my surgery. I'm not sure if they do this anymore though.

I get the flu jab for free as I work in a elderly home, I would of thought it was the same for hospitals etc.

pulisa
15-10-17, 08:15
I get a free flu jab as a carer.

Capercrohnj
15-10-17, 15:42
I'm immunosuppressed so yes to the flu shot