PDA

View Full Version : Help! Swollen Lymph Nodes & Tonsil Growth

incunables
14-10-17, 21:14
My HA has been going really well recently largely because I've been working really hard to control it. I workout 5-6 times a week and have scheduled my first 10K trail race, I'm volunteering teaching research skills at a local prison, I'm taking a language class, etc. But yesterday is the first time in a long time that I've lost it and a run last night didn't get the whole thing back in check like it normally does.

I've had tiny swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck for a while now (>6 months) and they haven't really grown, but they sometimes hurt. They're small enough that you have to crane your neck to see them and then point them out, though you can feel them more easily than that. I had come to accept that they're just there--no real growth, no other symptoms, let it go! So I mostly did. But then I rediscovered a huge polyp I've always had on my left tonsil. It's been there for years, and over those years I've seen doctors and dentists, and nobody seems to care, but suddenly it seemed bigger and scarier and now had petechiae on it (I'm pretty sure that's from me squeezing it, etc., but still--scary!). The two of those things combined is freaking me out pretty badly. Any help or advice? I'm going to head out on a run soon, but I'm struggling and would be grateful for any thoughts.

sombeer20
15-10-17, 00:37
Hey - I suffer from a pretty weak immune system, so maybe I can give you some perspective. Noticeable lymph nodes (especially sore ones) can indicate an ongoing infection, but I promise it's not something to panic about, especially if you're otherwise healthy.

I think it's a good idea to get your tonsils looked at, but unless they're swelling dramatically or you start running a fever, I wouldn't worry quite yet. When you can feel your lymph nodes, it means your body is at least sort of doing it's job.

You could have something as simple as a cold or mild flu, especially if you're experiencing other symptoms. I had an ear infection and mine are massive, but it's not actually a great indicator of what's going on unless they start appearing all over your body.

And ever though my infection is long gone, it takes weeks for them to disappear. You could have caught something and gotten over it already, but are only now noticing the aftereffects.

Fishmanpa
15-10-17, 05:55
I workout 5-6 times a week and have scheduled my first 10K trail race...

I've had tiny swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck for a while now (>6 months) and they haven't really grown, but they sometimes hurt. They're small enough that you have to crane your neck to see them and then point them out, though you can feel them more easily than that. I had come to accept that they're just there--no real growth, no other symptoms, let it go!

I want to point out a couple of things in you post...

I think I can safely assume your fear is cancer of some sort. Based on the first part of you post, you wouldn't be doing a 10K if cancer were brewing in you as long as you've had these worries.

I noticed you added the word "swollen" to "tiny ....... swollen nodes". It's as if your subconscious anxiety mind threw in that word to justify your fear. I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor. There are no such things as tiny swollen lymph nodes :lac: You're feeling normal nodes and the fact they've stayed the same affirms this.

I believe your perception is skewed concerning your concerns due to your anxiety and I think you know it too.

Hope you had a good run!

Positive thoughts