PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and diazepam

lelespears
15-10-17, 10:09
Going on holiday and have a massive fear of flying. My dr gave me diazepam 2mg can I drink alcohol with these? I have 5.

ServerError
15-10-17, 12:07
It's best not to. It could make you very drowsy.

Darksky
15-10-17, 13:45
I wouldn't. I only did so once, drowsiness I could have coped with but I felt they doubled the effect of the achohol. I was well and truly away :blush: never again.

Fishmanpa
15-10-17, 15:37
Definitely not something you should do.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-17, 02:48
What is the space in time between taking Diazepam and consuming alcohol?

Whilst I wouldn't recommend it, if there is a large gap it might be less of an issue...because I'm assuming you are not taking them with alcohol for the effect.

It can potentiate the effects of the drug though so may make you very drowsy. There are other effects that are serious but that's more for people getting wasted on the booze.

melfish
16-10-17, 03:21
I accidentally OD'd on that combo many years ago
Came to inclined on a gurney in the ER as they tried to get my BP up. Don't remember fainting in the street nor the ambulance ride :(

Azzbo
16-10-17, 04:05
No, Do not mix. Benzos blackouts occur when you mix with alcohol and you can do some crazy stuff which you wont remember.

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-17, 04:46
The OP is flying so I expect it will be used only on those days. But they might want to drink for a week or two in between and that's a different story.

It would be best to ask their GP or a pharmacist to be sure. It's only a Medium level risk on interaction databases so medical professionals may determine it's ok under specific guidelines.

That being said, I would avoid alcohol close to the flying days just to be safe anyway but the rest of the holiday will see the dose dramatically reduce in terms of it's elimination half life (48 hours) so after 10 days that's <5% but the drug itself works for a far shorter time. Active metabolites are far longer (half life 100 hours) but I doubt anyone would consider waiting that elimination out.

Really one for a professional.

KK77
16-10-17, 19:19
Not a good mix - benzos and alcohol never is - but 2mg is what I would call a "silly" dose of diaz. Wouldn't touch sides of my anxiety...

Buster70
16-10-17, 22:57
It's going to depend on your tolerance to both and by time you know that it might be a bit late , I don't drink much now but I can have pint or two and a small amount of diazepam
, when I was younger I had a couple of diazepam and went out drinking ( this pre anxiety ) I woke up with stitches in my face and no recollection of going to a hospital, still have the scar and mates filled me in on what happened , so either don't go there or if you can trust yourself to only have a couple take it easy .

poppy77
16-10-17, 23:16
Have you seen the plane scene in 'Bridesmaids'? Enough said!