PDA

View Full Version : New Debate (5) Do Prisoners Deserve Better Conditions?

Bigboyuk
15-10-17, 13:51
Folks it's debate time again keeps my mind off my problems which I have many at the moment. I always watch Sunday Morning Live on the BBC it has some good articles on there. Any way About 42 mins the last debate re my title. Now again any comments welcome but suggest members to at least watch from 42 mins in and then debate (but you don't have to!) so lets get this on the road I watched all the programme till the end. Guess it's similar to one of my other debates is Prison too cushy in some ways!

My view is this around 4 or 5 old Victorian jails have been closed for good when actually this just causes more strain on the system and no I don't believe prisoners should be given better conditions,yes better education and programmes to help them NOT re offend but conditions no way you do the crime you do the time So in this debate we arnt looking at sentencing but the fabric etc of the actual prisons and by watching the programme on I-Player before you comment might be helpful. Thanks as always for taking part Cheers

swajj
18-10-17, 11:42
What is your experience of prisons? Is it limited to what you have seen on television? Or have you actually been in prison? Perhaps worked in prisons? Just curious. ��

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

:)

Bigboyuk
18-10-17, 12:40
Hi It depends what you call limited! No never been inside, but yes you will probably will say you shouldn't believe everything you see on Tv lol. I just think they don't deserve better conditions and while some people shouldn't even be in prison which I agree with the point is some prisons are quite comfortable which in my book it shouldnt be 1. it should be a punishment and 2. a learning process that you never ever want to experience again. Have you been in prison? Cheers

swajj
19-10-17, 09:48
Hey, thanks for answering. No, I’ve never been sentenced to a term in prison lol.

Lola-Lee
19-10-17, 10:32
Hey swajj I worked at Parramatta Prison and Parklea,could of been sentenced lol.

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 11:44
Hey, thanks for answering. No, I’ve never been sentenced to a term in prison lol. Np swaj :) Has any one watched that programme I mentioned on last Sunday they debate topical issues (4) every Sunday morning! Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Hey swajj I worked at Parramatta Prison and Parklea,could of been sentenced lol. LOL, so whats it like compared to Uk prisons? More strict and less comfortable? Have you ever watched Prisoner Cell Block H? I am a avid fan ;) Cheers

swajj
19-10-17, 12:37
[QUOTE=Lola-Lee;1728140]Hey swajj I worked at Parramatta Prison and Parklea,could of been sentenced lol.[/QUOT

lol

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

I don’t think we get that BBC program in Australia bigboyuk.

Do you mean the Prisoner that was produced in Australia?

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

ok I looked it up. I didn’t realise it was called Cell Block H. Yes I watched a couple of seasons of Prisoner. It was very popular here. They remade it and called it Wentworth the second time around. I watched a couple of seasons of that but got bored. I think they are up to Season 6 and still going strong.,

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 13:31
[QUOTE=Lola-Lee;1728140]Hey swajj I worked at Parramatta Prison and Parklea,could of been sentenced lol.[/QUOT

lol

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

I don’t think we get that BBC program in Australia bigboyuk.

Do you mean the Prisoner that was produced in Australia?

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

ok I looked it up. I didn’t realise it was called Cell Block H. Yes I watched a couple of seasons of Prisoner. It was very popular here. They remade it and called it Wentworth the second time around. I watched a couple of seasons of that but got bored. I think they are up to Season 6 and still going strong., Hmm you may be able to get BBC I-Player where you are! If not simple way round it either get a free VPN or download the Opera Browser (Free) and it has VPN that comes with the browser. You only watched a couple of Seasons of the original programme how come? I found out recently every episode is available to watch on You Tube all 692 of them ;) Iam on season 3 now yes :) You say you saw the remake well that's on Ch 5 in the Uk how did you manage to get that in Australia ? I couldn't get in to the remake atall after 4 episodes I stopped watching it!What characters do you remember from the original series?? And you fav actor! Lizzie was my fav along with Bea (top dog) lol Cheers

debs71
19-10-17, 15:30
In my opinion, prison is supposed to be a PUNISHMENT.

I think that the cushy deal prisoners get - particularly in the UK - is beyond a joke. The TV's, the mobile phones, the recreational activities available to them, the drug culture which is often more active IN prison than it is out, and the list goes on are all a total farce.

There may well be a focus on also rehabilitating inmates, but there are some people who quite frankly are beyond any kind of life turnaround....call me cynical. The stats speak for themselves about reoffending.

Sorry to sound like a moan, but this is a subject that angers me greatly. We could learn a lot from the hardline approach taken by some prisons in the US that really understand the notion that prison is meant to take away from a person, not give.

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 16:00
In my opinion, prison is supposed to be a PUNISHMENT.

I think that the cushy deal prisoners get - particularly in the UK - is beyond a joke. The TV's, the mobile phones, the recreational activities available to them, the drug culture which is often more active IN prison than it is out, and the list goes on are all a total farce.

There may well be a focus on also rehabilitating inmates, but there are some people who quite frankly are beyond any kind of life turnaround....call me cynical. The stats speak for themselves about reoffending.

Sorry to sound like a moan, but this is a subject that angers me greatly. We could learn a lot from the hardline approach taken by some prisons in the US that really understand the notion that prison is meant to take away from a person, not give. Don't apologise one bit I feel exactly the same Spot on :) have you looked that programme last sunday BBC1 Sunday morning live yet? thanks for joining the debate, have a look at my other debates under the Misc section Cheers

swajj
20-10-17, 11:08
[QUOTE=swajj;1728169] Hmm you may be able to get BBC I-Player where you are! If not simple way round it either get a free VPN or download the Opera Browser (Free) and it has VPN that comes with the browser. You only watched a couple of Seasons of the original programme how come? I found out recently every episode is available to watch on You Tube all 692 of them ;) Iam on season 3 now yes :) You say you saw the remake well that's on Ch 5 in the Uk how did you manage to get that in Australia ? I couldn't get in to the remake atall after 4 episodes I stopped watching it!What characters do you remember from the original series?? And you fav actor! Lizzie was my fav along with Bea (top dog) lol Cheers

I’m in Australia BB. Prisoner and Wentworth are both produced here.

I only ever watch a few seasons or less of a show. Then I get bored and go back to watching reruns of Seinfeld. lol

Bigboyuk
20-10-17, 11:49
[QUOTE=Bigboyuk;1728192]

I’m in Australia BB. Prisoner and Wentworth are both produced here.

I only ever watch a few seasons or less of a show. Then I get bored and go back to watching reruns of Seinfeld. lol I guess it depends how much you like a show in the first place ;) I didn't know Wentworth was produced in there too!! Watching PCBH really takes my mind off things which has to be a good thing:yesyes: Cheers

swajj
20-10-17, 13:08
Do you watch Wentworth BB? If you don’t then you should watch it after you have seen all the Prisoner episodes. Wentworth has many of the same characters as Prisoner but they are portrayed by different actors. Your favourite in Prisoner Lizzy, is in Wentworth but portrayed by a much younger actor. :)

Bigboyuk
20-10-17, 13:16
Do you watch Wentworth BB? If you don’t then you should watch it after you have seen all the Prisoner episodes. Wentworth has many of the same characters as Prisoner but they are portrayed by different actors. Your favourite in Prisoner Lizzy, is in Wentworth but portrayed by a much younger actor. :) I have watched a few of them, but it's not the same really so cant get in to it LOL not half way through the original series yet but getting there! Did you know actually 700 episodes was made and shown in Australia only 692 was shown in the uk how strange is that and I know all the words to the song at the end it's titled 'On the inside' sung by Lynne Hamilton daughter of country and western singer and is quite emotional too as is some scenes of the show Happy Days :yesyes: ATB

swajj
20-10-17, 13:29
He used to bring me roses...

You’ll watch Wentworth after you’ve watched all the episodes of Prisoner. Then you’ll get into it. :winks:

Magic
20-10-17, 14:51
I have not watched any prison programmes on TV, but my thoughts are that are the same as Debs has said.
My late sister was a JP and there were the same people who were reoffending time after time. When they had the choice they opted to be sent to court for a prison sentence .

They did it because they were having it too good in prison.

I don't know if this is true or not. If someone is fined for a wrong doing and the fine is paid week by week. Do they actually pay it off in the end?