PDA

View Full Version : 1st time poster. Threadworm anxiety taking over my life. No sure what to do.

FranticMumma
16-10-17, 17:21
Hi all. Not sure what I'm after really, Just to feel not alone I guess. I'm a 30yr old mother of 3. Have lead a very normal life up u til 5/6 weeks ago. Now I'm ready to put myself into sectioning.
It all started one Friday evening when I suddenly experienced (TMI) an anal itch.. Repeatedly having to itch. Went to the doctor the following Monday to be told it was Anal Fissure, by this point I had already given myself and my 3 children worm treatment as my paranoia had gone I to overdrive. I've been checking my children's bottoms and BM's since! Getting hem to wash hands and generally going ott. Anyway, a week ago I went back to doc as I was having 'crawling'/strange sensations in my bottom. Doc said the Fissure had healed and I could just be experiencing Pruritus Ani (though I doubt this as I am not itchy, I can just feel a strange movement sensation) always starts around tea time, and comes and goes for a fee seconds through hr evening. She gave me Ovex treatment (same as what I've already taken twice now within 3 weeks due to the extreme paranoia!) To take 2 times twice a day for 3 days. My treatment ended if Saturday but here we are now Monday and I'm till experiencing this feeling. I have never seen a live worm, nor have my children appeared to ever have them, but I've gotten myself into SUCH a state about this it's literally taking over my life. I'm obsessing all day every day, reading horror stories on the net, Checking my ana's, Vagina as many times as I can. I even went and brought 2 extra packs of worm treatment again today to self medicate. My life is falling apart, and I don't k ow what to do 😫 The stories I've read have horrified me, To the point of me questioning if there in my throat, Ears, Vagina ect.... Has anyone else ever been like this? I've never suffered with anxiety until all of this, Now I'm just a wreck! Feeling extremely alone.

Fishmanpa
16-10-17, 17:40
There was just a thread about this (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209146) last week... must be threadworm season ;)

Positive thoughts

FranticMumma
16-10-17, 17:49
Hi Fishmanpa.
I have actually read that threat already, Trouble is, I don't even know if I have/had have them? I'm currently sat at my kitchen table in a mess, Hiding away from my children because I am obsessed I'm infested with these things.. I'm so unhappy. And scared!

Fishmanpa
16-10-17, 18:12
Then just see the doc :shrug: No harm, no foul, worst case some cleaning, washing and meds to get rid of them. Pretty common issue especially when you have school age kids. Certainly beats melting down for no reason right?

Positive thoughts

FranticMumma
16-10-17, 18:15
This is my point..... I have been doc a number of times, last time only last Thursday. She gave me the treatment to take for 3days, but I can still feel strange sensations in that area. That's why I'm having a brake down, as I'm worried sick I maybe one of these that match the horror stories I've read online. Now it's taken over my life and I'm in a pickle. I feel like I'm loosing the battle.

Fishmanpa
16-10-17, 18:22
Sorry to hear this :( Maybe a quick call to the doc to ask? Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
17-10-17, 02:01
Do you have a history of anxiety? Or were you under a lot of stress running up to this? Or did somethig traumatic happen near to this?

Threadworms are very very common in children, I've had them a few times when young, but they are also very easily treatable. The horror stories are most likely cases of neglect, the homeless, etc who do not treat them and do not have good hygiene. These stories are not worth taking any notice of because threadworms are so common and the vast majority of people treat them and that's the end of it. They won't be posting this as it's a minor health issue.

This is why I asked about anything running up to this and history because I'm wondering if this has just been the last straw and pushed over into a spiral?

FranticMumma
17-10-17, 07:05
Thank You for you're response.
I've never suffered with anxiety or any other symptoms since about 5 weeks ago, First of all I thought my home was infested with bed bugs, Had to call pest control around to check my house over. No bed bugs! But since having this Fissure and the sensations in my bottom I've literally turned I to a wreck. I've eaten so many worm treatment tablets I've lost count. Hands are red raw from washing so much, couldn't clean my house any more if I tried. I'm a mess. Just need to know this stuff dose work and try to calm down. I'm hating my life so much at the minute ☹️

LF87
17-10-17, 13:04
Hey, sounds like you've got a health anxiety possible obsessive compulsive crossover going on and it sounds very distressing for you. I have been there so don't worry, you're not alone!

My advice would be ask the doctor to give you a proper check over and if it's confirmed you don't have threadworms (which you probably don't, it's just your mind playing with you), then don't give in to these urges to medicate / check. I know this is super hard to do, but you're just giving the thoughts power. Everyone on this forum has their own type of checking, most of us Google frantically. This is the worst thing you can do! Google has told me I've been seriously ill more times than I can count and led to total terror which is what you're feeling now. Bodily sensations when can feel very real when you're fixated on them. Try focusing all of your attention on your index finger for a few minutes. Bet it feels weird after a while.

Resist the urge to Google / check / medicate! It's a challenge but I promise you it'll pay off.

Good luck and hope you feel better.