PDA

View Full Version : Solipsism and the simulation theory

Leah88
17-10-17, 03:15
Not trying to throw a grenade but just to have another perspective. Maybe the simulation theory, considered a possibility of some of the worlds leading physicists like Neale degrasse could imply OCD sufferers are actually just more in tuned with the game. The point of my post is that to feel isolation during solipsism might not be such an obscure idea but a glitch. Why does this theory have to be negative?... at least you'd get a re boot.

Juustopallo
17-10-17, 11:21
So you're saying that the truth of this world is based on an obsessive "what if" that only a very small persentage of people find to be possible? Not on thousands of years of empirical, theological and philosophical evidence? The world of an ocd sufferer is very subjective. The "what if" of solipsism is based on sufferer's fear. Not real world.

Leah88
18-10-17, 02:48
No I'm not saying that at all, only implying even physicists can't even prove that consciousness isn't simulated. So we don't stand a chance either and therefore it's not that weird to contemplate. It's the anxiety that comes with it that is worth tackling though. I was just trying to add another perspective because obviously reassurance doesn't work as there will always be doubt.

djsouthboi247
18-10-17, 03:38
Hi leah, solipsism is crap and ridiculous. it's not true, has NO bearing.

Go to youtube and type 'Solipsism - the biggest lie'

you will understand.

OCDme
07-05-18, 06:23
I'm suffering from pureO on simulation theory. And yes, it cannot be proven nor disproven. Whoever says 'solipsism is totally crap and it's false' is being ignorant. Solipsism has been one of many philosophical ideas that have been around for thousands of years. But think of it like this. Whoever is simulating all the humanity cannot be some AI(AI that we think of) or some alien civilization with current technology or 'fairly better than ' current technology. In order to perfectly simulate all 7 billion people with each different personalities and emotions, only God(if there's one) or God-level entities can do that which kind of just means that we are 'creatures/simulations' of God(I'm not religious btw). What actually makes you panic is not the simulation theory itself but you're associating it with some evil aliens or cold metal AI /computers controlling it.

MyNameIsTerry
08-05-18, 02:47
I'm suffering from pureO on simulation theory. And yes, it cannot be proven nor disproven. Whoever says 'solipsism is totally crap and it's false' is being ignorant. Solipsism has been one of many philosophical ideas that have been around for thousands of years. But think of it like this. Whoever is simulating all the humanity cannot be some AI(AI that we think of) or some alien civilization with current technology or 'fairly better than ' current technology. In order to perfectly simulate all 7 billion people with each different personalities and emotions, only God(if there's one) or God-level entities can do that which kind of just means that we are 'creatures/simulations' of God(I'm not religious btw). What actually makes you panic is not the simulation theory itself but you're associating it with some evil aliens or cold metal AI /computers controlling it.

The trouble with Solipsism as a theme in OCD is there are negative thinking styles and behaviours to navigate that someone without who is contemplating Solipsism doesn't have to deal with. For instance, whilst you say it can't be some AI how can you prove that the history of technology isn't false in your mind hence couldn't it be some form of AI? Maybe the technology shown to you doesn't reflect the advancement of the AI? It's just a rabbit hole. Is there really 7 billion people to simulate considering you have met how many of them? Anxiety can always find a "what if" or doubt in this theme.

Using traditional forms of therapy to challenge thoughts is good but you have to be careful not to move from healthy challenging into obsessively searching for answers again.

Frankly, I think it's better to work the opposite way and learn not to care about it so much. Restore the importance of it back to that of anyone else so it's not triggering anymore if you do decide to think about it.

This theme very easily lends itself to All-or-nothing thinking.

Perhaps Solipsism sounds like nonsense to many people? Many theories have been around a long time but they can still be nonsense and religion is often seen this way.