PDA

View Full Version : My CBT!

Bigboyuk
18-10-17, 12:47
HI folks some of you will know I have been waiting since March for CBT I started last week and asked if they were trained in CBT they said no :eek: infact they are a office CPN they don't even visit homes so now wondering if I should look else where for proper CBT any ideas TIA :) ATB

swgrl09
18-10-17, 13:00
Oh geeze, how does that happen? That's so frustrating! I would consider giving it a chance anyway to see if whatever therapy they do is helpful. Maybe in the meantime try CBT4Panic here on NMP if you haven't already? Is there somebody you could contact to discuss this - perhaps whoever handled the referral?

Bigboyuk
18-10-17, 13:26
Tell me about it after that long wait too. It was the well being service and a self referral. I have explained my situation to the therapist and what I need to continue my recovery. one thing is my cluttered home it's getting me down and there seems to be very little pratical and emotional support in my area for this sort of OCD condition it's estimated around 2 million hoarders are in the UK alone I can have a look at the CBT4Panic but if it's a online or telephone service it's not going to help me Thanks :) ATB

swgrl09
18-10-17, 13:37
Ah, ok. Yes, CBT4Panic is online and I'm not sure how it would apply to hoarding. The creator of it, Robin Hall, does post on here so it may be worth asking him.

There isn't a lot of help for hoarding here in the USA either. I have always thought there needed to be more home-visit programs where therapists come out and help you work through it in person in your own environment. The few that do exist over here are very expensive.

I hope you are able to get the right help!

pulisa
18-10-17, 13:40
What a mess, BigBoy. I can't say I'm surprised though but you must be really angry and frustrated. I don't know what help there is for hoarding on the NHS but no doubt you will find whatever is available in your area because I can't see you giving up on this.

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-17, 16:21
The wellbeing services are unlikely to visit, that's more for the community teams.

What level service are you getting? If Level 2, it's not a requirement for them to be CBT trained because they offer lesser services. Level 3 is actual CBT but part of the accepted training process from the highest regarded association in the UK states they must have so many hours gained in therapy time with patients to qualify so every therapist at some point is a trainee under supervision.

clio51
18-10-17, 16:43
Hi Terry
You seem quite knowledgeable
, I’ve read a few of your replies.

I’m currently on cbt stage 3 waiting list, 10/12 mths so we’ll into next year!!!!
I’m getting call, from in my area it’s called Healthy Minds. First point entry
God knows why, as when I told her last week how bad I was she just said I’ll put you on the list. What do you want counselling or cbt, you can only have one! Cbt. 10/12 mths
So I can’t get any other help sooner with anything apart from if I’m suicidal then go to A&E

So you saying stage 3 is a proper cbt therapist? Do you know how many hours a trained one as to have done to qualify? Only asking as the last nhs cbt therapy I had was crap

Bigboyuk
18-10-17, 16:55
The wellbeing services are unlikely to visit, that's more for the community teams.

What level service are you getting? If Level 2, it's not a requirement for them to be CBT trained because they offer lesser services. Level 3 is actual CBT but part of the accepted training process from the highest regarded association in the UK states they must have so many hours gained in therapy time with patients to qualify so every therapist at some point is a trainee under supervision. Terry respectfully I knew that but was more concerned about the qualifications required I see the therapist next week and will ask what level of CBT are they doing? I have asked for a CPN to help with my clutter too Is level 3 more intense in the way it's delivered to the patient? Thanks Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-17, 17:58
Terry respectfully I knew that but was more concerned about the qualifications required I see the therapist next week and will ask what level of CBT are they doing? I have asked for a CPN to help with my clutter too Is level 3 more intense in the way it's delivered to the patient? Thanks Cheers

The requirement for them to practice does not include a need for a full CBT qualification in the IAPT framework. IAPT support this too.

L2 services under IAPT are the entry point for their people. They are not fully CBT qualified because they don't need to be and if they were, they would be earning a lot less money by not getting themselves into a L3 role.

So, are you having L2 or L3? If L3 the therapist might still be pre qualification, as they all are at some point, but your hours therapy might be pushing them over the requirement for their final qualification (which is supported as the way they need to qualify by their bosses because the alternative is unleashing classroom trained people who've never even sat in front of a client).

If they are going to give you L2, it's CBT based stuff and not full CBT. The person is still supervised and has regular meetings to discuss their clients.

My therapist offered L3 but she still has to assess me, get sign off on her strategy from her supervisor and then had monthly meetings to discuss all of her clients.

As a CPN she is likely more trained in mental health than my therapist was (she didn't have a health background) but going into IAPT means specific training to get into the therapist role. Maybe she was a L2 but you need L3 so need an assessment off one of them? If this is the first assessment, I bet the L2's are used to pick off the milder clients first.

So, all my not be lost.

You can train to work in the IAPT framework from any previous career. A background in health isn't necessary. Some nurses follow this path to earn more money as the L3's might be on more.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Hi Terry
You seem quite knowledgeable
, I’ve read a few of your replies.

I’m currently on cbt stage 3 waiting list, 10/12 mths so we’ll into next year!!!!
I’m getting call, from in my area it’s called Healthy Minds. First point entry
God knows why, as when I told her last week how bad I was she just said I’ll put you on the list. What do you want counselling or cbt, you can only have one! Cbt. 10/12 mths
So I can’t get any other help sooner with anything apart from if I’m suicidal then go to A&E

So you saying stage 3 is a proper cbt therapist? Do you know how many hours a trained one as to have done to qualify? Only asking as the last nhs cbt therapy I had was crap

Hi clio,

Thanks for your kind words, they are very appreciated :flowers:

There is more than one professional standard because there is no official training body. The IAPT framework sets the requirements for the job roles though (I'll post them later) but accept the big pro associations like BACP, BABCP.

Here are there training frameworks:

http://www.bacp.co.uk/student/training.php

http://www.babcp.com/Training/Training.aspx (inside the .pdf at the bottom of the page)

IAPT supervision is explained here:

https://www.uea.ac.uk/medicine/departments/psychological-sciences/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-training/iapt-and-cbt-resources/iapt-supervision-training-and-resources (the first doc of the six)

L3 is full CBT so these High Intensity Therapists are those who have studied for the full qualification and are either in the process of gaining their course accredited hours to finally pass (so a local therapy service is giving them live experience under supervision) or fully trained & qualified but still has to receive supervision (to ensure service standards).

So, it's possible a L2 might be in that training to upgrade. It's possible a service is managing a trainee from a course. But yes, L3 high intensity is full CBT. The level above that, L4, is where you go to the Community Mental Health Teams who are above the IAPT framework and deal with everybody underneath hospitalisation (these are the psychiatrists & Co).

pulisa
18-10-17, 19:41
The frustrating thing is that everyone has to go through the various stages before they reach their appropriate level for treatment.

Bigboyuk
18-10-17, 19:55
The frustrating thing is that everyone has to go through the various stages before they reach their appropriate level for treatment. Including the long waits which while you are waiting you deteriorate I know I have I am goinf to ask for L3 CBT as I have suffered long enough now Cheers

clio51
18-10-17, 20:32
I agree bigboy, It’s took them 3 weeks to get back to me after Gp referral. Where they decided in a meeting that from Gp referrel I don’t need secondary mh intervention
Only healthy minds first point entry. It’s all changed, you only get into secondary mh under psychiatrist only. The goal post widens
So on waiting list 10/12 mths, if I last that long with this high anxiety

Buster70
18-10-17, 20:45
Hi bigboy ( I'm never going to get used to starting with that ? ) I did the NHS cbt last year ok it went a bit pear shaped because of partner taking an overdose and it did seem pretty basic stuff but it did help just getting out and being able to talk to someone who I could tell anything and not feel threatened or judged, I don't have anyone I feel I could talk to about how I really feel just have a laugh and joke and pretend everything is ok , talking to a stranger and being able to walk away felt good , when things calm down at home I will do the self referral again , horders are a dream come true for me or can be a nightmare, I buy and sell vintage stuff and old horders have everything the only problem is some won't part with anything , I've dealt with a few and it can take months to come to a deal and they instantly regret selling anything , one told me he felt a sense of loss at selling a motorbike that hadn't turned a wheel in twenty years , I've been in his house and he can only get into the kitchen now so he sleeps in there he apologised for the mess and I said I could spend a weeks holiday in there .
Stick with it I'm pretty sure you will get the help you need in the end you have to remember there are a hell of a lot of us fruit cakes out there :D

pulisa
18-10-17, 20:59
I know I'll get shot down in flames but I feel that all this media attention on mental health just clogs up the system for those who really need it because so many people's normal circumstantial emotions are medicalised.

clio51
19-10-17, 09:57
Pulisa
Have you ever tried to access mh treatment recently(this past year) you will find that in your hour of need (just to speak to someone) is near impossible. I’m talking about in real high anxiety state(if you’ve been there)
There is no mh person out there you can speak to on that day, only person available is Sane at the a&e dept .
To feel in that state is desperate, to want to speak to a stranger !

I say going to the Gp for things like colds and flu is
Or going to a&e for coughs and colds

Try accessing mh now, it’s one of the hardest things to get in time of need. That’s why people become suicidal. Desperate

pulisa
19-10-17, 12:39
Believe me I know, clio.

KK77
19-10-17, 12:50
Sorry you're having to endure this crap BBoy. I'd have thought long-term psychotherapy would have benefited you more, so you can get to root of past issues which are affecting you today, rather than just coping strategies of short-term CBT. Patients also shouldn't have to navigate all this "level" crap and box-ticking nonsense. Hope you find appropriate help. Can always speak further via email anyway.

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 13:44
Believe me I know, clio. Yes I do too you have to jump many hurdles to get the help you do need so once on that ladder you have to keep going how ever hard it is :)

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Sorry you're having to endure this crap BBoy. I'd have thought long-term psychotherapy would have benefited you more, so you can get to root of past issues which are affecting you today, rather than just coping strategies of short-term CBT. Patients also shouldn't have to navigate all this "level" crap and box-ticking nonsense. Hope you find appropriate help. Can always speak further via email anyway. Thx KK it may be but how do I get that via my Therapist or is it back to my GP once again?? Yeah I know it's time waisting really ticking this box and that box I hope I do too and thx for the email offer too Cheers

KK77
19-10-17, 14:17
[/COLOR] Thx KK it may be but how do I get that via my Therapist or is it back to my GP once again?? Yeah I know it's time waisting really ticking this box and that box I hope I do too and thx for the email offer too Cheers

I would go back to your GP and ask to be referred for psychotherapy. Problem is, you'll have to wait again, but your GP can write letter explaining how you've been messed about and maybe speed things up.

I waited over a year :lac:

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 14:28
I would go back to your GP and ask to be referred for psychotherapy. Problem is, you'll have to wait again, but your GP can write letter explaining how you've been messed about and maybe speed things up.

I waited over a year :lac: So no way of getting a referral via the Therapist then? So back to the bottom of the ladder I take it then? It's pain but guess there is no other way Thx again you are a star mate ;) ATB

swgrl09
19-10-17, 14:55
Honestly at this point I would say try both. Try asking the therapist and try asking your GP. Can't hurt to cover all your bases. What a mess this sounds like! Hope you get somewhere with this Bigboy!

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-17, 17:17
Dave, your GP has to refer you to the CMHT. The waiting list is far longer and you are going into a service that treats the most severe sufferers along with all the mental health disorders that are more serious than ours.

When I asked a few years back it was a 12 month wait to commence treatment.

It's something to weigh up but even then they decide the treatment and could just decide it's CBT again. I would see what your GP thinks. They could perhaps ask what the CMHT may offer?

But if you want nurses out, they are the right level. Seeing psychiatrists will be hit & miss as it's med reviews with them lot.

pulisa
19-10-17, 18:09
It's very hard for those of us with long term issues to access help quickly. Mild to moderate stuff and you stand more chance. I prefer to take my chances with DIY self-talk and managing my issues in my own sweet way. I've been offered long term psychotherapy in the past but as a carer it's impossible to commit to and not fair on someone who would leap at the chance.

robinhall
19-10-17, 19:40
Hi BigBoyUK

I replied to your email - not sure if you received it or not :-)

KK77
19-10-17, 19:46
It's very hard for those of us with long term issues to access help quickly. Mild to moderate stuff and you stand more chance. I prefer to take my chances with DIY self-talk and managing my issues in my own sweet way. I've been offered long term psychotherapy in the past but as a carer it's impossible to commit to and not fair on someone who would leap at the chance.

That's a big sacrifice you made Pulisa.

Long-term psychotherapy is usually the best way deep-rooted and entrenched core behaviours can be broached and addressed. The past needs to be explored for many of us to understand and come to terms with the present, especially those of us with complex mental health problems. A whole lifetime's worth of experiences can't be dealt with in a few months - it can take years. You would usually have to see a psychiatrist or psychologist through CMHT who would recommend this line of therapy. Or you can go private if you can afford to. In the meantime, CBT can be an effective way of coping.

I think you need to speak to your GP and explore all your options, Dave. We can't do that here.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Hi BigBoyUK

I replied to your email - not sure if you received it or not :-)

Just the man for CBT ;)

pulisa
19-10-17, 20:00
I'm not sure that CBT is the gold standard for everyone. That's why having a comprehensive assessment by CMHT is essential..eventually.

Bigboyuk
19-10-17, 21:57
Hmm several options to explore here folks will discuss this with the therapist on Monday now Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
20-10-17, 01:22
I
I'm not sure that CBT is the gold standard for everyone. That's why having a comprehensive assessment by CMHT is essential..eventually.

Me neither, I would like to see newer forms of it reaching us like ACT which wounds better to me. IAPT have created their own version of psychodyamic, which is one therapy you can get via a CMHT, but they aligned the length of treatment with CBT...which unless one hell of a coincidence is obvoiusly just about filling service gaps (again) and it's only for depression.

Gold standard CBT is another issue too. IAPT is a stripped down service where therapists aren't trained to the higher standards of psychologists. So, we get studies telling us how great CBT can be but how does that work when rolled out across employees with less ability to achieve results?

It's a difference between private & public sector to me. Present that ^ in front of a project team (SME's, directors, service managers, etc) and they would raise that straight away. Conducting tests using the best trained people just doesn't translate when you apply it over those who are aren't as good as them.

So, what is IAPT's "standard"? It doesn't matter what a top professor can do, it matters what someone trained to deliver CBT who may have been a nurse or PWP can do. If a study can be replicated by anyone...they don't need all that training, do they? :winks:

As for the levels, I think they are useful but they aren't used as they were intended. They should be a triage so those mild get to a PWP for a short course and someone more severe gets to a higher service. In practice, services have interpreted this as a process you pass through no matter how ill you are. But IAPT say they follow NICE guidelines, yet NICE split those levels into different severity of anxiety disorder so perhaps it'a yet another difference between "managers" and medics? I think "managers" (and the NHS managers) see them as the DWP see unemployment/benefits lists - move people around and massage the lists. Even looking at the service standard for IAPT to see people tells me this since it says they have to "see you" within X weeks but make no mention of "start treatment" within that time. :winks:

Dave, I don't want to sound negative I just fear you may get told about delays and feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall. CMHT's can be problematic.

pulisa
20-10-17, 17:18
I think that there should be a nominal fee for one course of NHS CBT (just to sort out those who will really make an effort to engage from those just going through the motions). As for repeated courses of CBT on the NHS....I think people should be encouraged to keep all their course notes, refer back and really try to help themselves using all the techniques they have been taught. With the sheer volume of people being encouraged to come forward for therapy there needs to be a fair system for all with minimal waiting times.

KK77
20-10-17, 18:10
I think that there should be a nominal fee for one course of NHS CBT (just to sort out those who will really make an effort to engage from those just going through the motions). As for repeated courses of CBT on the NHS....I think people should be encouraged to keep all their course notes, refer back and really try to help themselves using all the techniques they have been taught. With the sheer volume of people being encouraged to come forward for therapy there needs to be a fair system for all with minimal waiting times.

Couldn't agree more. Would certainly separate the wheat from the chaff. In fact, I think many free services and treatments on NHS should be means-tested. I don't understand why a millionaire should not pay something towards their treatment. Then those who really can't afford to pay would perhaps be treated with the urgency and dignity they deserve.

pulisa
20-10-17, 18:57
I really don't think there is a service on the NHS for people in distress and in severe need. If you have financial security you can buy treatment but often it's a bit of a lottery in the private sector and you have to be very careful where you go. I'm happier taking responsibility for my own mental health and for that of my daughter-there is less hassle and frustration that way but I realise it's not for everyone and shouldn't be.

Bigboyuk
01-11-17, 11:31
I really don't think there is a service on the NHS for people in distress and in severe need. If you have financial security you can buy treatment but often it's a bit of a lottery in the private sector and you have to be very careful where you go. I'm happier taking responsibility for my own mental health and for that of my daughter-there is less hassle and frustration that way but I realise it's not for everyone and shouldn't be. Think you are correct on this pulisa If there is I haven't found it yet! Well went to see my therapist and I have asked is this CBT she said no I am just here to support you?? I said I think I would benefit from CBT but think the therapist has ruled it out so quite agitaited about this. after waiting since march of this year I feel it's going to be wasted now. There is one glimmer of hope re my hoarding problems she has made a report out and risk assessment and the people she is contacting about seems to be able to offer one to one support on my hoarding the assement has been sent off so now I wait to see what is going to be offered to me just hope it's what I need to move forward and get my life back on track :) ATB

pulisa
01-11-17, 12:44
The 1-1 support sounds good, BigBoy. Let's hope this offer becomes reality and you get some much needed help and support with the hoarding issue. It needs very specialised therapy so make sure you get the relevant team and not some "general" therapists.

Bigboyuk
01-11-17, 14:31
It does but what it's going to deliver is another thing :) when I first contacted the well being service I was told it would be CBT with my therapist, well she doesn't think I need CBT (I do but what do we know!) Like I said before she is a CPN but a office one so is she really is up to the job on this? But this other organisation she has contacted for me and she has made a report on me with the risk assessment which hopefully has now been sent off so more waiting required but she thinks it wont be too long before I hear something, so fingers crossed for me please everyone Thanks :) ATB

KK77
01-11-17, 22:58
It does but what it's going to deliver is another thing :) when I first contacted the well being service I was told it would be CBT with my therapist, well she doesn't think I need CBT (I do but what do we know!) Like I said before she is a CPN but a office one so is she really is up to the job on this? But this other organisation she has contacted for me and she has made a report on me with the risk assessment which hopefully has now been sent off so more waiting required but she thinks it wont be too long before I hear something, so fingers crossed for me please everyone Thanks :) ATB

Sorry you're being messed about and made to wait. But remember, you've waited years for the "right" therapy, and you deserve to get it. So hang in there and hopefully you'll be offered professional targeted psychotherapy for your particular problem.

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-17, 02:36
Sounds like she was going to offer a Level 2 service and now you are being referred up to the CMHT for Level 4. L4 means you may get nurses coming to see you.

Just bare in mind, that's the long wait service. Same on as mine, Dave. The nurse I spoke to said I would be seen fairly quickly for assessment but then come the waiting problems. That service deals with outpatient care to people with more complex mental health problems so we can be lower down the list to them. I don't want to be negative but this is something to prepare for so "if" it happens, it won't hit you too hard.

On a more positive note, I've seen some get in quicker than what I was told in other regions where slots have opened up.

I would get your GP helping you too. They would normally be referring people into these services so they can perhaps help? What I mean is, and this is something that annoyed me about my treatment, you have been referred to the wrong service and this shouldn't mean you are pushed to the back of the L4 queue due to NHS ineffeciency. I got help from the L4 nurse there and got my 3 month wait reduced to 1 week but this was with the L3 service, the L4 are very different and dealing with much harder cases.

Good luck.

pulisa
02-11-17, 08:32
Why couldn't you just have been assessed as a L4 candidate at the beginning of the process instead of all this rigmarole of going through the levels? It's not rocket science. Really annoys me-such a lot of unnecessary expense and timewasting. At least you are now on the appropriate list and that's a major achievement, Dave!

Bigboyuk
02-11-17, 11:47
Why couldn't you just have been assessed as a L4 candidate at the beginning of the process instead of all this rigmarole of going through the levels? It's not rocket science. Really annoys me-such a lot of unnecessary expense and timewasting. At least you are now on the appropriate list and that's a major achievement, Dave! Why is a very good question really pulisa I think I will call the well being line and speak to them they did a telephone assessment in march Tell you all something now if this next thing that is in the pipe line doesn't match what I need (I know I shouldn't) I will get angry about this as really had enough now I am sure you all understand my frustraitions on this matter anyway off to my new OCD group tonight,only joined 2 weeks ago :) Thanks one and all ATB

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Sorry you're being messed about and made to wait. But remember, you've waited years for the "right" therapy, and you deserve to get it. So hang in there and hopefully you'll be offered professional targeted psychotherapy for your particular problem.Thx KK tell me about it I have jumped over many hurdles in the many years I been trying to get the right help only to be hampered by many stumbling blocks along the way just want to get better now ATB :)

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-17, 16:51
Why couldn't you just have been assessed as a L4 candidate at the beginning of the process instead of all this rigmarole of going through the levels? It's not rocket science. Really annoys me-such a lot of unnecessary expense and timewasting. At least you are now on the appropriate list and that's a major achievement, Dave!

Depends how you get there. These services are separate so if you self refer you go to an IAPT provider and they aren't L4. The only way to L4 is through a referral.

So, it depends on what your GP thinks it's needed. I guess the question for them is health risk from hoarding because that would make it more more a possibility for L4 otherwise hoarding is going to go the IAPT route since it's OCD.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Dave, if she is escalating to L4, which it sounds like, the only level above them is Inpatient care.

L4 do everything. The advantage of them is they can offer a much greater range of therapies and you can have nurses helping you outside of the basic office set up that's more common to IAPT. The downside is they vary greatly and it can be about support rather than therapy. They can do other things though like assess health risks, social stuff, help with benefits stuff, etc.

Look at it this way, even if you get a nurse to support you perhaps you can steer things a bit too by pushing the CBT angle (even if you try to combine something private like CBT4PANIC on top of it).

You'll have people on here who can help you work through some decisions about that as well as give an opinion on whether you are getting the kind of service that you want. Use them, get what you can from them. I know the waiting is a pain and it upset my chasing things up but once sorted it all smoothed out and the nurse was great as she took all the hassle away and kicked some butt for me.

It just beggars belief that the lack of joining up in these processes just adds to people already struggling badly. The NHS is like that but it's very annoying when they can't see how it affects mental health patients.

pulisa
02-11-17, 18:16
Is hoarding OCD though?

Bigboyuk
02-11-17, 18:20
Is hoarding OCD though? Yes it is its on the cusp according to my OCD group that I have started going to 2 weeks ago
going to my next meeting tonight in half a hr ATB

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-17, 19:00
Yes, it is:

https://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

Hope the group helps, Dave. Not heard of that one, not that I've looked to be honest!

pulisa
02-11-17, 19:38
Thanks, Terry. Some of the hoarding "tips" sound very simplistic for a highly complex condition. Very easy for it to get out of hand with no support.

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-17, 01:55
Yes, I agree pulisa. I guess it's one of those where it doesn't seem as big as it would to an outsider and then you realise it's a real problem?

I've often wondered whether hoarding got lumped in and it's closer to Impulse Disorders but the APA & WHO are arguing over whether other Impulse Disorders such as hair pulling & skin pulling should move into OCD. The APA have an OCD Spectrum so they have moved them into that whereas WHO disagree and left them where they are.

So, maybe things will change? I guess it depends on whether it's regarded as "reward seeking" or not. But it's interested that addictions are closeby and I know Dave has talked about kicking gambling & lost loads of weight. I wonder what he thinks as to whether it's about addictive personalities?

But then you read about those hair pulling & skin picking and that seems more about relieving building tension but maybe it exists across both types...but who knows whether some of these labels are even right??? :shrug:

CBT can address hoarding, which Dave has been trying to get yet it seems they are the ones blocking him :wall:, but as with anything IAPT I often question how easy it is for a therapist to set some goals in an office and then the real hard work is left to the patient who is all alone the rest of the week. I really struggled with my goals earlier on, I just wasn't ready, but what I do know is if someone was there to give me some gentle prods and perhaps support me through actually doing things, I would have done them. If Dave feels able to do it, he will get success from it, but if he needs someone there the L4 route might help as a nurse can be there to assist (although you know what these CMHT's are like, and if Dave can do the CBT reading himself he could use the nurses for the support and add stuff in himself. You know how sometimes these nurses just keep people afloat rather than help them work on moving forward and it's obvious Dave wants to sort it out).

pulisa
03-11-17, 08:59
I can't imagine someone with a serious entrenched hoarding issue being able to overcome this purely by using CBT worksheets. I hope Dave gets a appropriately trained support network to help him tackle this complex and very distressing problem. It may take a while but at least he's on the list.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

I shamefully know nothing about how these various disorders are categorised for treatment. In my book it's what works for you rather than what's written in books as standard treatment. Both me and my daughter don't really conform to set patterns so we just do our own "therapy" and find out what works and what doesn't. I'd hate to be doing CBT worksheets and ticking boxes. I hate how mental health assessment has degenerated to form filling in as opposed to direct contact with relevant professionals.

Bigboyuk
03-11-17, 11:33
Thx Folks It's a bit like climbing mount Everest in some ways it takes for ever to reach the summit (goal) and there's plenty of things to throw you off course. At the meeting last night I was advised to have a look at the NICE guidelines which has been sent to me by the person who runs the group and if I don't get the treatment I need then to contact PALS which I will have no problem in doing! I will also contact the well being service who after my telephone assessment in march and was assured that it will would be CBT which I am not receiving. I know it's not going to be enough on it's own and would have to include pratical intervention we are talking a long time of hoarding not just a few months or years decades which is a waste of my life which I can never get back ever thanks every one :) Cheers

pulisa
03-11-17, 13:17
I admire you greatly for always tackling things head on. No head in the sand attitude for you. It's just a shame that services aren't a lot easier to access because it makes things all the more frustrating when you just want to get started on facing up to deep rooted issues.

swgrl09
03-11-17, 13:23
Hey BigBoyUK, just wanted to echo Pulisa's thought. You really have worked your a** off to get the right treatment and are advocating for yourself. I give you so much credit for that. It's not easy to do. I really hope something helpful comes through for you.

Bigboyuk
03-11-17, 15:19
It's a mine field but you have to keep going, many would have given up by now and tbh I haven't got limitless energy and it does get very exhausting feel like a pawn on a chess board lol thank you both for your words :) ATB

Bigboyuk
08-12-17, 15:17
Update: The 'office' CPN decided to come and have a look round my house she says yes I do need support on this hoarding but still does NOT think CBT will help me:huh: But is going to have chat with a CBT therapist think they are playing Russian roulete with my mind here I don't like this one bit and will keep pushing for the treatment I deserve :) ATB

Bigboyuk
23-12-17, 13:38
Another update! (thought some members were following this thread?) Any way Staffs Rethink has come out and visited me and I know have support worker who will visit me once a week and give me hand decluttering which I badly needed so at last some thing is now happening :yesyes: Wish me every success folks Thanks :) ATB

pulisa
23-12-17, 19:25
That's excellent news and must have given you a boost! Something to give you hope and much needed support-really pleased for you!

Elen
23-12-17, 19:45
Great news

Bigboyuk
23-12-17, 20:06
Thank you both yes it is finally happening you see when you keep perservering then you get results so hopefully others that are struggling to get the help they need will also keep going when they read this :) ATB

pulisa
23-12-17, 20:36
You certainly deserve to get specialised help but not all of us will get this level of support despite trying our hardest to get it.

Bigboyuk
23-12-17, 21:34
You certainly deserve to get specialised help but not all of us will get this level of support despite trying our hardest to get it. Thx what Iam saying to every one is never give up how ever hard it may seem sure it's get very tiring and I have felt like giving up but I haven't and now I can see light at the end of tunnel :) ATB

Bigboyuk
01-01-18, 10:53
Only have to wait till Thursday now and my journey continues It's been a long and perilous road folks felt like giving up but continued to plod along the way met many hurdles along the way! Hope this will inspire some one who is struggling to not give up under any circumstances and to keep forging ahead ATB to every one :)