PDA

View Full Version : Dentists

Jenwales
19-10-17, 11:50
So I had my first dental appointment today and I was very anxious. I feel produ of myself that I did it and that even though i thought I would be sick I sat there and managed to get through. I'm proud of myself that I wasn't worrying about it for ages before either, I feel like maybe I'm getting somewhere with regards to less anxiety. But waiting my legs were tingling

Now I have to have two filings and I'm so anxious and scared about that, I've never had it before and I'm not good with needles. It's not until Noveember 1st but maybe sooner would've been better.
I'm trying to reassure myself now and going to do some yoga to recover from the anxiety of this morning.
Hope everyone is doing good, thanks for reading this

Azzbo
19-10-17, 12:41
Really great job Jen, Dentist appointments can be one of the hardest obstacles to overcome for someone with anxiety. I'm really proud of you, You got over the hardest part. You will go on nov 1st and get your teeth fixed and you will feel amazing that you did it, Try not to think so much about the appointment, You will ace it.

swgrl09
19-10-17, 15:00
Ah, I hate the dentist so much. But honestly cleanings bother me more than fillings. At least with the filling you are numb. You may just feel some pressure here and there and mouth might get tired. I hate the feeling of the metal scraper on the teeth during a cleaning. But you truly will be so glad it is over. It doesn't last too long.

Velvet
19-10-17, 16:11
Hi.

I’ve been to dentist today too.
Had a crown fitted to a back tooth...
It all went well...the dentist was really good and gave me a couple of stress balls to squeeze...it did kinda help...
I now feel good as I have a lovely new crown and all is ok with my teeth. I can’t bare toothache..so even tho I get anxious I still go to avoid the bad teeth thing..
The thoughts of going are worse than being there to be honest...
You will be ok...although I do understand....
Feels good once it’s done...well done for going today xxx

Jenwales
05-11-17, 20:31
Thanks for all the positive comments. I had the filings on the 1st and I thought I was going to pass out when I had to sit in the waiting room and wait for my face to go numb. I think i might've been shaking.
I have to go again tomorrow, more filings. My anxiety has been terrible because of all this but then it's making me realise how much I don't have any coping strategies/activities for anxiety. I used to for panic attacks but not for general anxiety.
He said it shouldn't take as long tomorrow which should be easier it's the length of time it takes is the problem and the way I am nervous about it all later.
I really need some sort of self-care or coping plan because I keep letting myself down by having things like this stir the anxiety up and once it's started it's hard to get my equilibrium back (having a cold and feeling generally ill hasn't helped) but you live and you learn.
I never learn LOL