PDA

View Full Version : So scared about final blood test - GRAPHIC MISCARRIAGE THEMES

O_O
19-10-17, 15:48
Hi all,

I'm really scared at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm hoping to get out of this, but maybe I'll feel better if I get it down. I know I've posted similar before, sorry, but this is specifically about the blood test.

At my 12 week scan in mid-August I found out I'd had a missed miscarriage and the baby had died at 8/9 weeks. I took misoprostol to induce miscarriage. I passed what in retrospect were probably just blood clots rather than pregnancy tissue and thought it was all over.

About four days later at work I went to the toilet and felt something coming out of me. It was pretty big and I actually thought my womb was prolapsing. I went to A&E and they said it was retained tissue and it was still partially attached to my womb which is why it hadn't come out. They pulled it out with forceps.

Next day I had a scan which showed more retained tissue. They said it was 2cm and I could just leave it, but the next scan showed it was actually 7cm. They said I'd need to have a D&C under general anaesthetic. I'd been fine until this point, but I told them if I had general anaesthetic I'd die (100% believed this). They also told me I was anaemic.

I was transferred to another hospital who could do the procedure under local anaesthetic. In the meantime I passed a bit more tissue. My anaemia had now resolved. They scanned me and said since there was so little left we'd try misoprostol again. It didn't work at all.

I ended up having the MVA in mid-September and was scanned and given the all clear. Four days later, I passed another 3cm x 2cm bit of tissue that the scan had missed! None of the tissue had shown any evidence of GTD but I now became scared that my HCG would never drop and I wouldn't get my menstrual cycles back.

At first the HCG plateaued at 18 for a bit. It then dropped to 11, then 7, then 5 over the next three weeks. My (final?) blood test is next week. If it's under 5 I should be ok. I'm just terrified that it will have risen or plateaued again. Every time I've thought this nightmare was over I've been wrong and it seems like this is the final hurdle so I can't see it going ok.

I'm so scared I might have more retained tissue or I might have developed a cancer which will cause my HCG not to drop or to rise. My body does seem to have been reluctant to let go of the tissue so far so perhaps there's more in there. I've been having little aches and twinges too. I don't know what to do with myself. Not sure if anyone can help or relate.

Thanks,

Jenny

Ellient
19-10-17, 15:53
I had a miscarriage and this all seems sadly part of the process although yours was a lost more difficult.

If you had cancer it wouldn't drop at all. If you're on about the cancer from a molar pregnancy the HGC is so high and it would never drop plus the midwife who scanned you would of noticed so get cancer out of your head.

It will be fine, my HGC took ages to drop - nearly 11 weeks. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O_O
19-10-17, 16:03
I had a miscarriage and this all seems sadly part of the process although yours was a lost more difficult.

If you had cancer it wouldn't drop at all. If you're on about the cancer from a molar pregnancy the HGC is so high and it would never drop plus the midwife who scanned you would of noticed so get cancer out of your head.

It will be fine, my HGC took ages to drop - nearly 11 weeks. X

Sorry you've been through this too. Did your HCG drop fairly steadily? Do you recall the numbers?

Ellient
19-10-17, 16:14
Sorry you've been through this too. Did your HCG drop fairly steadily? Do you recall the numbers?

It's fine, I'm sorry you have gone through it, it's awful and scarring.

I never got blood tests or a scan to see removed tissue - I had to guess but I had positive pregnancy tests for 11 weeks, if it didn't give negative I would of had to go hospital.

What is your current HGC?

O_O
19-10-17, 16:18
It's fine, I'm sorry you have gone through it, it's awful and scarring.

I never got blood tests or a scan to see removed tissue - I had to guess but I had positive pregnancy tests for 11 weeks, if it didn't give negative I would of had to go hospital.

What is your current HGC?

Last time it was tested, last Monday, it was 5. So a good low number. I need it under 5 though... that's when people seem to stop tracking. The week before it was 7, so it only dropped 2 points in a week. It just seems like too much to hope for that after everything it would just go beneath 5.

It sucks that First Response tests still show positive for me as well. They're insanely sensitive. Other home tests are negative at the moment.

Did you have much bleeding or other symptoms while you were waiting to get back to normal?

Ellient
19-10-17, 16:21
Last time it was tested, last Monday, it was 5. So a good low number. I need it under 5 though... that's when people seem to stop tracking. The week before it was 7, so it only dropped 2 points in a week. It just seems like too much to hope for that after everything it would just go beneath 5.

Did you have much bleeding or other symptoms while you were waiting to get back to normal?

Ahhh that is very low and actually one point away from being the normal amount, so nothing to worry about.

I bled a lot, I was actually bleeding for about a month I remember it being a lot heavier than my period, I had pain in my hips and actually went to the a&e as it got so bad but they reassured me it was normal - the next period you get will be awful sadly, I had to take my mums tablets for her whiplash to get rid of the pain that's how desperate I was!

O_O
19-10-17, 16:33
Ahhh that is very low and actually one point away from being the normal amount, so nothing to worry about.

I bled a lot, I was actually bleeding for about a month I remember it being a lot heavier than my period, I had pain in my hips and actually went to the a&e as it got so bad but they reassured me it was normal - the next period you get will be awful sadly, I had to take my mums tablets for her whiplash to get rid of the pain that's how desperate I was!

Funny, I didn't bleed too heavily. Quite a lot after taking misoprostol for the first time, but that cleared up quite quickly. And after the MVA I barely bled at all. Even though I still had retained tissue at that point!

That's why I'm paranoid about not going under 5. It's like a trick from the universe. Get me just down to 5, right at the boundary of normal, and then don't let me go any lower... or make it start rising. I'm genuinely thinking like that.

I wonder what the stats are for HCG rising again. I have seen a couple of instances of women reaching like 6, then going back to 12, then dropping again. Not sure why that happened to them. I don't think I could handle it.

Hopefully it'll be fine and I'll get a normal period... will stock up on hardcore painkillers.

Ellient
19-10-17, 16:41
Funny, I didn't bleed too heavily. Quite a lot after taking misoprostol for the first time, but that cleared up quite quickly. And after the MVA I barely bled at all. Even though I still had retained tissue at that point!

That's why I'm paranoid about not going under 5. It's like a trick from the universe. Get me just down to 5, right at the boundary of normal, and then don't let me go any lower... or make it start rising. I'm genuinely thinking like that.

I wonder what the stats are for HCG rising again. I have seen a couple of instances of women reaching like 6, then going back to 12, then dropping again. Not sure why that happened to them. I don't think I could handle it.

Hopefully it'll be fine and I'll get a normal period... will stock up on hardcore painkillers.

I think some women HGC goes back up when they have tissue still which isn't really anything to worry about more annoying.

Course you will go lower, it might take a while I must admit some HGC can take ages to drop, but it really is nothing to worry about.

Yeah and a hot water bottle! :hugs:

O_O
19-10-17, 17:40
I think some women HGC goes back up when they have tissue still which isn't really anything to worry about more annoying.

Course you will go lower, it might take a while I must admit some HGC can take ages to drop, but it really is nothing to worry about.

Yeah and a hot water bottle! :hugs:

It seems weird that retained tissue would cause HCG to RISE. Plateau, maybe. Unless it was malignant :/ I don't know, hope I don't have any anyway.

Like, with you, I guess maybe there was a bit of retained tissue for a while which was why you bled for so long and it took so long for your numbers to get back to normal. I'm not bleeding though, so don't know why HCG is so bloody slow to drop!

Ellient
19-10-17, 17:50
It seems weird that retained tissue would cause HCG to RISE. Plateau, maybe. Unless it was malignant :/ I don't know, hope I don't have any anyway.

Like, with you, I guess maybe there was a bit of retained tissue for a while which was why you bled for so long and it took so long for your numbers to get back to normal. I'm not bleeding though, so don't know why HCG is so bloody slow to drop!

I still had positive tests even after bleeding, I think it's because your body isn't used to the hormone and that, you have to remember you was 12 weeks also. That's a long time for a pregnancy so it'll take a little bit of time.

Please let me know your results!

O_O
19-10-17, 18:38
I still had positive tests even after bleeding, I think it's because your body isn't used to the hormone and that, you have to remember you was 12 weeks also. That's a long time for a pregnancy so it'll take a little bit of time.

Please let me know your results!

I'll let you know! Should know by Wednesday. I'm just terrified. It must seem funny from an outside perspective to be so anxious about HCG levels, but to me a rise means that I was right about everything and I have cancer or retained tissue and I'll never get back to normal. That's how I feel, it's just awful. Even though so far mine have actually dropped a bit more quickly than yours. The waiting must have been unbearable for you, I'm so sorry!

Ellient
19-10-17, 18:53
I'll let you know! Should know by Wednesday. I'm just terrified. It must seem funny from an outside perspective to be so anxious about HCG levels, but to me a rise means that I was right about everything and I have cancer or retained tissue and I'll never get back to normal. That's how I feel, it's just awful. Even though so far mine have actually dropped a bit more quickly than yours. The waiting must have been unbearable for you, I'm so sorry!

I'm so confused what sort of cancer do you think you'd have? Is it the long named one to do with molar pregnancies

O_O
19-10-17, 19:07
I'm so confused what sort of cancer do you think you'd have? Is it the long named one to do with molar pregnancies

Choriocarcinoma! Or placental site tumour. Or, I don't know, some other unconnected cancer that can also create HCG like ovarian or cervical cancer.

:shrug: I know, I sound like I've slipped into the realms of complete irrationality. I just can't shake it! I've always been so scientific, but I've basically become superstitious now.

Ellient
19-10-17, 19:11
Choriocarcinoma! Or placental site tumour. Or, I don't know, some other unconnected cancer that can also create HCG like ovarian or cervical cancer.

:shrug: I know, I sound like I've slipped into the realms of complete irrationality. I just just shake it! I've always been so scientific, but I've basically become superstitious now.

I just googled it and only 5 people get that in the UK a year that's extremely rare, the other cancer is after a molar pregnancy which you haven't had, so you don't need to worry.

Ovarian cancer can sometimes cause HGC but not enough I believe as they'd just test people for pregnancy with ovarian cancer symptoms, if that makes sense.

O_O
19-10-17, 19:24
I just googled it and only 5 people get that in the UK a year that's extremely rare, the other cancer is after a molar pregnancy which you haven't had, so you don't need to worry.

Ovarian cancer can sometimes cause HGC but not enough I believe as they'd just test people for pregnancy with ovarian cancer symptoms, if that makes sense.

Yeah I know... I'm scared to tell myself I'm being irrational though because it's like I'm giving myself false hope. After my blood test I'll take a sneaky 10mg diazepam (the only med I ever take, and haven't taken any for weeks...) while I wait for my results, and maybe I'll feel calmer. Fingers crossed.

Ellient
19-10-17, 19:26
Yeah I know... I'm scared to tell myself I'm being irrational though because it's like I'm giving myself false hope. After my blood test I'll take a sneaky 10mg diazepam (the only med I ever take, and haven't taken any for weeks...) while I wait for my results, and maybe I'll feel calmer. Fingers crossed.

Aww I feel for you because that must be horrible, you won't give yourself false hope, also the cure rates of that cancer are excellent I was shocked when I read them.
(Not like you need to know as your results will be fine)

Can I ask if you'll be trying for another baby?

O_O
19-10-17, 19:38
Aww I feel for you because that must be horrible, you won't give yourself false hope, also the cure rates of that cancer are excellent I was shocked when I read them.
(Not like you need to know as your results will be fine)

Can I ask if you'll be trying for another baby?

I can't imagine trying again any time soon (if my cycles even ever return to normal) because this has just been too traumatic. But hopefully I'll get back to normal and will be able to try again at some point. Do you have any children / are you trying?

Ellient
19-10-17, 19:40
I can't imagine trying again any time soon (if my cycles even ever return to normal) because this has just been too traumatic. But hopefully I'll get back to normal and will be able to try again at some point. Do you have any children / are you trying?

I was determined to have children so I got trying straight away, I pushed the pain away and got pregnant after my first period and it was completely healthy.

I can understand your worries though it is so horrible, I feel sorry for any women that has to go through it, I remember mine and seeing the blood when I woke up and I just knew then, it's such a horrible evil thing.

O_O
20-10-17, 09:26
I was determined to have children so I got trying straight away, I pushed the pain away and got pregnant after my first period and it was completely healthy.

I can understand your worries though it is so horrible, I feel sorry for any women that has to go through it, I remember mine and seeing the blood when I woke up and I just knew then, it's such a horrible evil thing.

I'm glad you've got your baby now :) hopefully I'll be in the same position as you in the not too distant future.

O_O
23-10-17, 14:59
I've decided not to have the HCG blood test. I'm too scared that the levels may not have dropped, and I could have developed a corpus luteum cyst which could also elevate HCG levels.

Instead I'm going to have a pelvic scan on Wednesday. That will hopefully be able to identify any retained tissue as well as tell me what what kind of cysts I have. Perhaps they can also tell me if I'm anywhere close to menstruating yet from the thickness of my endometrium. And of course anything more sinister would hopefully be picked up too.

I'm very nervous in case there's something bad :/

Ellient
23-10-17, 15:09
I've decided not to have the HCG blood test. I'm too scared that the levels may not have dropped, and I could have developed a corpus luteum cyst which could also elevate HCG levels.

Instead I'm going to have a pelvic scan on Wednesday. That will hopefully be able to identify any retained tissue as well as tell me what what kind of cysts I have. Perhaps they can also tell me if I'm anywhere close to menstruating yet from the thickness of my endometrium. And of course anything more sinister would hopefully be picked up too.

I'm very nervous in case there's something bad :/

Getting the test is wise at it's for your own peace of mind and the doctors, if it's completely gone you have nothing to worry about and you can move on from this, it's your choice but I wouldn't want you sat wondering :)

O_O
23-10-17, 15:14
Getting the test is wise at it's for your own peace of mind and the doctors, if it's completely gone you have nothing to worry about and you can move on from this, it's your choice but I wouldn't want you sat wondering :)

Well, I'd certainly agree if the doctors wanted me to. But honestly they all think it's unnecessary and have only been doing it to try to assuage my anxiety! I guess I'll see what the scan says. If there's no corpus luteum then I might feel more confident to have the blood test.

However, I've just taken 6mg of diazepam after avoiding it for weeks so I won't want to take the blood test any time soon as apparently benzos can raise HCG too! It has actually helped bring my anxiety down a little at least.

Ellient
23-10-17, 15:16
Well, I'd certainly agree if the doctors wanted me too. But honestly they all think it's unnecessary and have only been doing it to try to assuage my anxiety! I guess I'll see what the scan says. If there's no corpus luteum then I might feel more confident to have the blood test.

However, I've just taken 6mg of diazepam after avoiding it for weeks so I won't want to take the blood test any time soon as apparently benzos can raise HCG too! It has actually helped bring my anxiety down a little at least.

Bless your heart, try to stop reading stuff about HGC, it'll only worry you more and some of the information on what raises HGC is actually false

Hope you feel better soon this must be a complete nightmare for you

O_O
23-10-17, 15:26
Bless your heart, try to stop reading stuff about HGC, it'll only worry you more and some of the information on what raises HGC is actually false

Hope you feel better soon this must be a complete nightmare for you

Thank you. It really has been the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I know many people go through worse, objectively, but that doesn't make this feel like any less of a nightmare.

Sometimes I have moments of clarity and can think that maybe this is all just in my head and I actually can recover and I'm just being obsessive and irrational. But then, usually, something nasty will tell me that I'm giving myself false hope and there is something wrong and I'm going to die.

I just really, really hope that this is just anxiety. And I can get back to the person that I was.

O_O
25-10-17, 09:23
I am so scared about my scan today. Feel sick to my stomach. I hope they don't find anything that would mean I need an operation.

The last scan I had about 6 weeks ago showed a 4cm follicular cyst on my right ovary that they said would just go away. I had pains in the area at the time. Those pains have subsided now, but I still have mild nondescript pains over both ovaries and in the pelvic bones on occasion.

They also couldn't find my left ovary last scan, or the time before, because it was hidden behind my bowel or something. I'm concerned I may have developed endometriosis from retrograde blood flow during the miscarriage and my ovary could have adhered to my bowel. I could also have an endometrioma cyst if that was the case.

Last time they said that if they left ovary had any cysts they'd have been able to see them poking out. They've made mistakes with me before though. And cysts could have grown in the meantime.

I'm so, so nervous.

Ellient
25-10-17, 13:20
Let us know how it goes good luck

O_O
25-10-17, 15:05
Let us know how it goes good luck

So everything looked fine! I am so ashamed of how anxious I get sometimes.

No retained products, no cancery looking things, no adhesions. Cyst on right ovary has gone, and I now have a 3.4cm follicular cyst on the left ovary which looks like it's deflating.

This supports my theory that my body tried to ovulate a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it failed unfortunately so probably no period for me next week after all. Endometrium is 5mm so not really thick enough to be close to a period.

That's fine though, I'm just glad she saw nothing concerning at all! And hopefully the menstrual cycles will resume soon. 5.5 weeks since the last bit of tissue came out so fingers crossed.

Ellient
25-10-17, 15:28
Aw so glad it went well.

Do you feel better now?

O_O
25-10-17, 16:09
Aw so glad it went well.

Do you feel better now?

Thanks :) I do feel much better, I'm just scared of relapsing again in a day or two which is what normally happens. Before when I've felt better I thought I've been cured and gone back to work and then just... literally lost my shit. Like last time two weeks ago when I had some sort of episode and have just been a complete mess since then.

I guess if I really do have severe anxiety and OCD like the doctor says then it'll take a while. I just want to be back to how I was so much. If you'd seen me before you'd never guess in a million years I could be like this! I think if I can stay feeling ok for maybe two weeks then I'll be on the road to recovery.

Pleeeaaase let me be normal and ok and rational again now.

pulisa
25-10-17, 17:42
Good news on your tests but if I were you I would limit the time spent on here. Anxiety is catching and suggestible-you don't need the added angst.

O_O
25-10-17, 19:17
Good news on your tests but if I were you I would limit the time spent on here. Anxiety is catching and suggestible-you don't need the added angst.

Yes, you're probably right. I guess I'm kind of desperate to find people who relate to my experience so that I can try to convince myself it's just anxiety. Nobody's going to relate to anybody's experiences 100% though.

Just have to hope I stay feeling positive. Pleeeaaase, brain.

O_O
01-11-17, 19:12