PDA

View Full Version : Access to therapy - your experiences

Dormouse
19-10-17, 17:09
Hello, I have been referred for CBT through the Wellbeing service, but am still waiting. I have looked at official statistics on waiting times and I am convinced they are cooking the books. I had an initial appointment quickly to have an assessment but then nothing. I think maybe they count that as starting treatment. I was wondering what are you experiences with being referred. How long until you actually started CBT? How many sessions did you get? Did you have a quick first assessment appointment then languish on the waiting list?

Thanks!

Benjammin69
19-10-17, 18:32
Hi! So the initial assessment isn’t a session the initial assessment is a scoring test which if you score to
High on you actually cannot be accepted on to therapy - if you are at risk, suicidal etc then therapy is simply not quick enough or effective enough to derail those thoughts so don’t be disheartened by that. Whilst we are all important and equal right now to you you are the most important thing but to health services they need to out weigh risk and benefit. I am not saying the waiting lists are not shocking as they are sh.it and too long but don’t get out off, does your work provide an eap support program? Can you possibly find a therapist through the charity mind? They base there fees on incomes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dormouse
20-10-17, 14:07
Luckily my anxiety has come down so I won't have scored too high. I've got counselling from EAP but they won't fund CBT as it's too expensive. I'm lucky enough that I could probably scrape together enough to go private if needs be by sacrificing other things, but I'm concerned for others who aren't in that position.

I was just interested to hear if people were waiting ages as the official stats say they are meeting targets of 75% of people getting therapy within 6 weeks and I'm sure that's nonsense. I'd like to campaign for more people to get access to therapy and reduced waiting times, and it would be good to know what the real picture is for how things are now. The official standard for access to therapy is that "IAPT services should be providing timely access to treatment for at least 15% of those who could benefit (people with anxiety disorders and depression)." I think it's pretty outrageous they are only aiming for 15%. Imagine if only 15% of people with asthma or diabetes got offered treatment! We need to fight for better.

clio51
20-10-17, 17:19
Hi
I just written about this few days ago on here

In my area Manchester , Tameside
I’ve been assessed, which I waited 3 weeks for from Gp referral
After going through what my problems were( high anxiety/panic)
I was asked hat I would prefer counselling or cbt. Er both
No you can only chose one, cbt
Stage 3 cbt 10/12 mths waiting list

Terrible situation, I think nhs lean on charity’s and think people will scrap the money together to go private. But not everybody got hundreds of pounds for 10 sessions