PDA

View Full Version : this forum is way better than 'Dr. Search Engine'

exbenzo
21-10-17, 09:01
Yup. That's what I think. Whenever I search some health related things, I always try to counter my anxiety either by adding 'no more panic' in my keywords then click here, or after some scary exposure from regular articles that don't put our anxiety into consideration in their writings, as their aim is for general people who don't have anxiety issue.

Just want to share. I hope this helps for you who might haven't considered this little trick yet. Keep going!

Fishmanpa
21-10-17, 15:51
Adding the word "anxiety" accomplishes the same thing but it doesn't address the impulsive need to Google in the first place and will inevitably lead to distress.

Positive thoughts

exbenzo
21-10-17, 23:56
Adding the word "anxiety" accomplishes the same thing but it doesn't address the impulsive need to Google in the first place and will inevitably lead to distress.

Positive thoughts

I think you're right on the impulsive thing, Fishmanpa. Thanks.

ServerError
22-10-17, 00:59
If I felt compelled to Google symptoms, I used to add on "... and anxiety". So if I was worried about tingling or choking sensations, I'd search them alongside anxiety, which filtered out the scarier results. In my case, it did help reassure me that anxiety could be the cause and it often prevented a spiral from developing.

But as has already been pointed out, I didn't truly get better until I got help.

shirlp
22-10-17, 01:42
I'm too scared to Google. So I come on here instead. X

exbenzo
22-10-17, 02:25
For me the general rule is this: searching before / after exposure, compare / immediately heading here, reading members' posts (especially real life affected members) and if it helps, I apply it / get reassured, if it doesn't, and the symptoms keep nagging me, I get myself checked. One of my real diseases that has been found out only after I read colonoscopy from a forum post in other site as well as searching is ulcerative colitis. You, see, sometimes internet searching helps, however, I think 90% of the time it is only wasting our time away worrying about diseases we don't have.

melfish
22-10-17, 02:50
What do you mean by searching before/after exposure?

exbenzo
22-10-17, 02:58
I mean that I can either searching after I expose myself reading articles that are written for general population (without considering anxious ones) or before I got myself exposed to those, therefore immediately going here and successfully avoiding those articles.

melfish
22-10-17, 03:18
I mean that I can either searching after I expose myself reading articles that are written for general population (without considering anxious ones) or before I got myself exposed to those, therefore immediately going here and successfully avoiding those articles.

Ah, I understand now. Good strategy!