PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over stomach aches

snowflake293
22-10-17, 12:46
Hi everyone

I have GERD and it has been bad lately, although I started taking an Omeprazole at bedtime and it helped.

However, I am finding after I eat I feel a funny sensation on my right hand side by my ribs. Just now I have eaten my lunch and I can feel stabbing pains. I have not thrown up any blood or had any blood in my stools or anything like that, but I am so frigtened of getting ill :(

I think what doesnt help is I lean to the left on the sofa after I eat. Last night me and hubby ate at the table and I sat up straight for a while after and that helped.

Most of the time it is ok and the pain is never so bad I can't do things, it is just a worry and playing on my anxiety really badly today.

I am getting nausea too and ocassional bloating. I am so scared of being referred to ANY kind of tests at all. I can't even sit in my doctors waiting room without crying.

Got an appointment on Thursday and I am dreading it. My biggest fear is going for a camera down my throat. The idea petrifies me. Not the procedure, its what they could find.

I hate feeling like this. I feel like a prisoner to my anxiety and like the thoughts are consuming me.

exbenzo
22-10-17, 15:24
Hi everyone

I have GERD and it has been bad lately, although I started taking an Omeprazole at bedtime and it helped.

However, I am finding after I eat I feel a funny sensation on my right hand side by my ribs. Just now I have eaten my lunch and I can feel stabbing pains. I have not thrown up any blood or had any blood in my stools or anything like that, but I am so frigtened of getting ill :(

I think what doesnt help is I lean to the left on the sofa after I eat. Last night me and hubby ate at the table and I sat up straight for a while after and that helped.

Most of the time it is ok and the pain is never so bad I can't do things, it is just a worry and playing on my anxiety really badly today.

I am getting nausea too and ocassional bloating. I am so scared of being referred to ANY kind of tests at all. I can't even sit in my doctors waiting room without crying.

Got an appointment on Thursday and I am dreading it. My biggest fear is going for a camera down my throat. The idea petrifies me. Not the procedure, its what they could find.

I hate feeling like this. I feel like a prisoner to my anxiety and like the thoughts are consuming me.

Hi, I don't want to scare you but here's my shortened story about this upper right abdominal pain.

During my psych drug withdrawal, I began experiencing GERD and I woke up at the night, felt I was choked. Got myself checked, endoscopy. Yup. GERD. But then I began pain in my upper right abdomen too. Got it checked. To the point of my insisting CT scan, whole abdomen. Found out that I had liver calcification after inflammation, but benign (I personally suspected it was because of 17 years in the stupid, destructive psych meds that I didn't know their effect back then). Doc didn't worry seeing my liver calcification. Really sure I had liver/gallbladder cancer and whatnot, the doc might miss something (those 2 organs work hand in hand and located in the upper right abdomen). Checked liver/gallbladder enzyme. Slightly elevated gallbladder enzyme. But overall my doc wasn't concerned.

Long story short, read about colon cancer & colonoscopy. I thought this time the test would reveal that abdominal pain which got severe. The result? Yup. Ulcerative colitis. You see, my point is, don't ignore any physical pain symptoms if they got worse especially with extreme pain. There is a fine line between not having it checked and go for it.

The more I learn about diseases & health, the less anxious I become when it comes to this.

And, if you suspect for the time being that your pain is from the liver/gallbladder (before having yourself checked, that if you want to), try eat less protein and fat. These 2 can be hard for the damaged liver. I experienced this myself. Recently I got little pain again when I forgot myself eating more of those.

I hope you are alright. Don't be afraid to check if your pain is extreme.

snowflake293
22-10-17, 18:56
Not what I need to hear :( I am glad you are ok but I am very very anxious about it and I cant sit in a drs surgery without having a melt down let alone have tests.

I doubt it is my gall bladder or liver. Surely I'd have other symptoms?

pulisa
22-10-17, 19:27
Not a helpful response at all, snowflake. I can't see any clinical need for you to have any invasive tests such as an endoscopy. You have GERD which responds to a specific PPI. Sitting up straight after meals is always advisable if you get heartburn and reflux. Anxiety can really affect the gut and cause pain and bloating and the more you focus on it the worse it is. You've been through a very rough time and I'd say that's explanation enough for your stomach issues. You need time to heal emotionally and you haven't been able to yet. I'd say that's more the issue here rather than a sinister physical illness xx

snowflake293
22-10-17, 19:34
Not a helpful response at all, snowflake. I can't see any clinical need for you to have any invasive tests such as an endoscopy. You have GERD which responds to a specific PPI. Sitting up straight after meals is always advisable if you get heartburn and reflux. Anxiety can really affect the gut and cause pain and bloating and the more you focus on it the worse it is. You've been through a very rough time and I'd say that's explanation enough for your stomach issues. You need time to heal emotionally and you haven't been able to yet. I'd say that's more the issue here rather than a sinister physical illness xx

I am so glad you posted this. I have been sat here going out of my mind :( I have known a few people with gall bladder problems and the pain is severe. I do worry about my liver, especially as I was on SSRI's on and off for a long time and I used drink a fair bit.

However, I am eating well, sleeping well, I'm in no severe pain. I do have a funny pain in my stomach area and it is bothering me. I keep thinking I am going to have to go for tests and that something serious will be wrong.

I just can't take any more bad news after losing my baby :( I am finding it really tough but I am having an assessment for counselling in a few weeks and I know that will help me with my anxiety.

I just hate how my mind works. Its like my brain homes in on any tiny sensation and makes it 1000 times worse.

I am dreading going to the doctors on Thursday cause I am going on my own and I dont know which dr it will be :( I am just praying I can stay calm and not have a melt down xx

pulisa
22-10-17, 19:50
In my opinion you don't need any tests from what you are describing. It's your mental pain which needs to be addressed with care, compassion and understanding. Stomach issues are hard to ignore but maybe just see them as part of your overall distress> I hope the doctor is kind and empathetic and gives you time and space to talk freely xx

snowflake293
22-10-17, 20:00
In my opinion you don't need any tests from what you are describing. It's your mental pain which needs to be addressed with care, compassion and understanding. Stomach issues are hard to ignore but maybe just see them as part of your overall distress> I hope the doctor is kind and empathetic and gives you time and space to talk freely xx

Thank you. It can be very hit and miss at our surgery. I hope I am lucky to see a GP who will be understanding. I hate going through all this, it feels never ending xx

pulisa
22-10-17, 20:48
Remember how well you have done to get on top of your HA before? You've had a recurrence due to sad circumstances but you still know how to give yourself positive self-talk in order to manage it as you have done previously. There's a lot of stuff on here which really you don't need to read because it just keeps your mind focused on anxiety and the what if's..

I can tell how committed you are to getting better and hopefully your GP appointment will be a positive one which will leave you feeling glad you went. I know it can be a lottery as to which doctor you see on the day but maybe you could find out beforehand just to prepare yourself? Some doctors are so much better than others and I think you need a GP who has some sensitivity and compassion as opposed to an old buffer who is counting the days until retirement!

exbenzo
22-10-17, 23:36
Hi all,
snowflake293: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you or anything, I just want to say that I think there is a fine line between getting yourself checked and let it unchecked (if this is indeed pure anxiety-induced). Surely I know everyone is different and I didn't mean you should do all procedures like I'd had, I just meant to share mine to hopefully give you a perspective to finally help you make your own decision. I hope you're getting well no matter what you decide.

CeeCeeCee
23-10-17, 11:26
Not a helpful response at all, snowflake. I can't see any clinical need for you to have any invasive tests such as an endoscopy. You have GERD which responds to a specific PPI. Sitting up straight after meals is always advisable if you get heartburn and reflux. Anxiety can really affect the gut and cause pain and bloating and the more you focus on it the worse it is. You've been through a very rough time and I'd say that's explanation enough for your stomach issues. You need time to heal emotionally and you haven't been able to yet. I'd say that's more the issue here rather than a sinister physical illness xx[/QU

Totally agree Pulisa. To start any reply to a post about HA with "I don't want to scare you but" is not helpful and could make the person worse.
I am still suffering myself from tummy pains and am waiting for the results of my fecal test, therefore I'm a bit nervous. I came across the post which sounded a bit like me and was interested to hear people's responses. I actually didn't read that particular response fully as it would have scared me at the moment.I think your reply will have helped her though as it did me :)

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

[QUOTE=snowflake293;1728968]Hi everyone

This sounds very like me. I have been going through similar and have right hand pain under the ribs and in my stomach. I also wondered about my liver as I do drink wine. I went to the docs last week, though I really hate going and I'm awaiting test results. I'm doing my very best not to worry but when you have niggling pains that keep reminding you of what could be wrong it's hard.
I hope you feel better soon.

pulisa
23-10-17, 12:59
I can't really understand why anyone would reply with the "I don't want to worry you but..." line. Whatever the poster's intentions it really doesn't help anyone struggling to rationalise their thoughts regarding uncomfortable bodily sensations. It's one of the downsides to a forum such as this because some people can't resist the opportunity to talk about their own symptoms and diagnoses when the OP is clearly anxious and distressed and wants an objective and rational opinion to their own symptoms.

Waiting for test results is always stressful but they always say no news is good news, CeeCeeCee. I hope you hear soon though, just so that you know what the "verdict" is xx

snowflake293
23-10-17, 13:10
Hi all,
snowflake293: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you or anything, I just want to say that I think there is a fine line between getting yourself checked and let it unchecked (if this indeed pure anxiety-induced). Surely I know everyone is different and I didn't mean you should do all procedures like I'd had, I just meant to share mine to hopefully give you a perspective to finally help you making your own decision. I hope you're getting well no matter what you decide.

It's ok I forgive you :) I know you were only trying to help.

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

[QUOTE=pulisa;1729061]Not a helpful response at all, snowflake. I can't see any clinical need for you to have any invasive tests such as an endoscopy. You have GERD which responds to a specific PPI. Sitting up straight after meals is always advisable if you get heartburn and reflux. Anxiety can really affect the gut and cause pain and bloating and the more you focus on it the worse it is. You've been through a very rough time and I'd say that's explanation enough for your stomach issues. You need time to heal emotionally and you haven't been able to yet. I'd say that's more the issue here rather than a sinister physical illness xx[/QU

Totally agree Pulisa. To start any reply to a post about HA with "I don't want to scare you but" is not helpful and could make the person worse.
I am still suffering myself from tummy pains and am waiting for the results of my fecal test, therefore I'm a bit nervous. I came across the post which sounded a bit like me and was interested to hear people's responses. I actually didn't read that particular response fully as it would have scared me at the moment.I think your reply will have helped her though as it did me :)

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

This sounds very like me. I have been going through similar and have right hand pain under the ribs and in my stomach. I also wondered about my liver as I do drink wine. I went to the docs last week, though I really hate going and I'm awaiting test results. I'm doing my very best not to worry but when you have niggling pains that keep reminding you of what could be wrong it's hard.
I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for replying, I hope you get the reassurance you need soon. Like you, I despise going to the doctors. I went from going 3 or 4 times a week at one point to totally fearing it and avoiding it. Health anxiety is weird! xx

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

My stomach is in actual knots today. This morning after my breakfast I felt very faint fluttery pains in my tummy now after my lunch I feel crampy and bloated. I think I hold a lot of my tension in my shoulders and stomach so maybe that is making it worse. To top it all off my GP appointment isn’t ‘til NEXT Thursday, not this Thursday like I thought which is annoying cause its another week of waiting and being anxious. Trying to think positive and rationalise but it is really hard when I can feel pain and niggles in my tummy.

Thanks for all the replies and I don’t think the original person who replied intended to worry me further and they have apologised J

pulisa
23-10-17, 13:30
No I know they didn't and it was good to see an apology.

CeeCeeCee
23-10-17, 19:00
No I know they didn't and it was good to see an apology.

Ditto! :-)

snowflake293
24-10-17, 11:28
My stomach feels a bit better today, it is weird I have been stressing over other things (not health related) and when this happens it like my health anxiety it put on a back-burner, it is still there bubbling away but not as bad!

I am still going to discuss my concerns with my GP on Thursday next week though.

Thanks for all the replies x