PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone

phill
15-06-07, 21:06
just started on citalopram again (I was on them for 6 years)... had 1o months sobriety with AA, and was told at the start I must come off my anti depressants by my sponsor so I could do the 12 steps. Now 10 monhts later I have had a relapse into depression/ anxiety.. hope the new meds work - it was wrong to take advice by someone like that. The AA group I was with are quite radical and tough - they got me sober but they often say in meetings things like "you are not sober if you take antidepressants" and "you are eating alcohol if you take antidepressants" I told my sponsor 2 weeks ago I felt the tell tale signs of clinical depression coming on and that I needed to get pfrofessional help - he said "its just your alcoholism" surely this is dangerous advice? doing a lot of crying, panicing, suicidal thoughts... taking diazapam for the short term as well just until the citalopram kicks in ... just hope it works:huh:

honeybee3939
15-06-07, 22:21
Hi Phil

welcoem to NMP, its lovely to see you here im sure you will get some great advice and support while making new friends on the way.:)

I take Citalopram too and they have worked wonders for me, hope they help you too.

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

Southern_Belle
15-06-07, 22:49
Hi Phill,

Welcome to the site. I've never been to AA but I personally don't know how taking anti-depressants is the same as drinking alcohol. I would get a second opinion on that one, perhaps join a group that is not so radical. You will find alot of support here and many who feel like you do.

Laura

Lindalou64
16-06-07, 02:13
hi phil and welcome im also sober never did the AA i was lucky enough to do it on my own yes some AA people fill ya head with rubbish which i seen from some friends but dont get me wrong AA is good its the sponser and AA place you choose to go....if you need to take meds for an illness which this is..i see no problem with that what so ever i wish ya the best..........Linda

groovygranny
16-06-07, 03:04
Hello Phill,:welcome:to you!

Citalopram did it for me !!

Pleased to meet you, we're all here for each other so lots of help and support to be found!

:)

sheena
16-06-07, 10:53
Hi
You are being given dangerous adivice. I am sober 21 years and used to hear that spouted at meetings when I first when to AA. You are not eating your alcholol you have an illness that needs medication to make you better. Please try and find an AA group that is more up to date with mental health issues where you will feel more comfortable and get another sponser. I am sorry to be so blunt but I heard that rubbish spouted about when I first came around.

I wish you well in your sobriety.

Sheena

manmoor
16-06-07, 11:43
Hi Phill,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

kate
16-06-07, 15:49
Welcome, Phill :flowers:

Kate

summer1
16-06-07, 16:51
Hey Phil, welcome! I think it is awful they said you are eating alcohol if you take antidepressants. You are taking the first step to help yourself by taking antidepressants and also going to AA, be proud of yourself for taking those steps to your road to recovery. As Sheena said i think they need updating in mental health issues. Welcome to the group:-)

trac67
16-06-07, 17:49
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

breeze25
16-06-07, 18:22
welcome, Isorry your having problems, this site is very helpful, and you should find some great support.

sarah1984
16-06-07, 20:26
Hi Phill,
Glad to hear from your other post that you've swapped AA groups. I was shocked by what they said and their general lack of medical knowledge. Being on anti-depressants is absolutely nothing like being drunk. As others have said, often anti-depressants provide the support people need so that they don't have to resort to alcohol to solve their problems. Only thing I've heard about anti-deps and alcohol is that they intensify the effects of alcohol, so they advise you not to drink too much while taking them.

Pink Princess
16-06-07, 22:17
hi and welcome to the site, you will find a lot of good advice and support here and make many friends along the way. hope to talk soon, take kare xxxxxx

nomorepanic
17-06-07, 18:30
Hi Phill

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.