PDA

View Full Version : New fear of anaphylactic shock from cleaning / dust...

artist12
23-10-17, 03:45
WHY this idea decided to pop into my head tonight, I have no idea, but now I'm sitting here in a panic.

I was cleaning (vacuum and dusting) all over the house and stopped for a moment and felt like my throat was closing. I started to have what I thought was an anxiety episode... I know I have allergies so it's not surprising to get congested after stirring up dust in my house but suddenly I'm convinced this is a warning sign of anaphylactic shock which will one day strike me out of the blue when I'm cleaning.

I live alone so that doesn't help in terms of worrying it will happen when I'm all by myself...trying to tell myself it's just normal congestion now mixed with some anxiety but I'm having trouble talking myself down from this one tonight...

:wall: Ugh...

MyNameIsTerry
23-10-17, 05:03
Probably the dust just catching your throat. Or cleaning products doing the same.

I find these things can cause my throat to tighten slightly or my breathing to become tighter (I have asthma).

If the thought didn't pop in to try to start the anxiety you likely wouldn't have thought twice about it. It would have been "my throat feels tight, it's just the dust" and it would have stopped there.

Have a drink of water and give yourself a minute. Dismiss it as just a load of dust in your throat (which can make anyone cough) because you are cleaning and that's all is otherwise you would already have such an easily triggered serious allergy that you can't have gone all these years by chance with. You know it's your the anxiety trying to get attention, try not to give it and let it pass.

swajj
23-10-17, 11:04
Have you been diagnosed with anaphylaxis? Have you ever seen someone who has gone into anaphylactic shock? I have and if this had happened to you, you wouldn’t be wondering about it.

Geepee
23-10-17, 17:17
Sorry - deleted in error. Please don't worry. If it were anaphylaxis you would be very ill very quickly. Please try not to worry.

darkside4k
23-10-17, 17:19
I get that when I clean too. Just allergies / irritation I think.