PDA

View Full Version : I suffer from panic - should I start a family?

Dormouse
23-10-17, 16:38
Hello,

I'm a 33 year old woman and have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for around a year. I had a really bad episode last year and have recovered a lot but still can't shake the anxiety completely. I'd love to start a family, but I'm worried about the effect my anxiety will have. It's putting a lot of pressure on recovering.

I'm worried about 3 things really -
1) I'd have to come off medication for pregnancy
2) Pregnancy might worsen my anxiety
3) My anxiety might get in the way of being a good mum - what if I can't cope?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of going through pregnancy and parenting with anxiety?

Thanks!

vicky23
27-10-17, 14:16
Hi,
I can't give you any experiences but I'm going through the same dilemma. I'm 31 and both myself and hubby would love a family. I was on 100mg of sertraline but reduced that to 50mg, the plan was to come taper off it completely but I saw my GP who said that some women continue their meds while pregnant and having reduce to 50mg and done a lot of research I've decided to stay on the meds.
So that's one worry off this list, but the major one for me is 'would I be able to cope with being a Mum' and I still don't know. It's scary.
I had my niece who's 4 months for a few hours the other day and it was hard! I wonder if I'm being selfish wanting a baby bringing a life into this world when there's so much bad stuff, so many concerns :(
Hopefully someone will have more positive experiences rather than just being able to relate to the worries
Best wishes

Dormouse
01-11-17, 11:15
I guess everyone has worries about starting a family, but loads of people with anxiety manage it. My doctor says anxiety sometimes lessons when you have children as you have something to focus on taking up all your time. I think I'm going to to go for it as I don't want the anxiety to take over my life. Hope everything goes well for you!

Mariaxxx
05-11-17, 14:53
I have the same worries as you.. I hope when the time comes we will manage

Shezney
05-11-17, 16:37
Hi im 32 and have suffered with panic and anxiety since i had my first child at 17, ive had 5 more since then and yeah its hard at times but im sure people without anxiety think that aswell, theres stuff i cant do with them because of my anxiety but theyre loved and looked after, you have to focus on what u can do, not what u cant. I have only been on medication for the last 2 kids and the drs were happy to keep me on it while pregnant, just gave me a couple of extra scans to make sure it wasnt affecting grown. Dont let your anxiety stop you having kids, its hard but worth it.