PDA

View Full Version : I'm having meningitis fears. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Moso13
23-10-17, 17:28
So I started feeling sick on Thursday night and was sick all through friday and saturday. Then my campus gets an email saying that viruses like viral meningitis has been going through campus and if we have these symptoms we need to go to the emergency room. Since i was having a lot of them fever, stiff neck, headache etc. So my mom called me because she knew I was sleeping like all day and I told her what i was feeling and about the email and she said I needed to go get checked out so she took me to the emergency room in the morning and they did a spinal tap(gross, no fun) and it came back looking good, they said it had only one white blood cell in it so there was no signs of meningitis. So they think its just a virus that is similar. So now that I know Im safe, Im stuck in my dorm for today and tomorrow because the doctor said I shouldn't go to class for the next two days. Now Im terrified of getting actual meningitis now that my immune system is down, especially bacterial meningitis.How easy is that to catch in a college campus? I'm especially freaking out right now because the cleaning lady never came to clean the bathroom so they haven't been cleaned since Friday and they are gross.. How can I calm my fears?

beasty340
23-10-17, 17:37
Happy that you are safe. If you did actually have meningitis, you would know because it is hell. If the university did find any cases of viral meningitis, they would most likely be cleaning and clearing out a lot of dorms and living areas to make sure it did not spread. Sounds like there is a virus going around and they just want to remind students about meningitis because it is easy to spread in close quarters like college campuses. Stay in your room and get some rest, that is the best way to get your immune system back in order. Hope you feel better.

Moso13
23-10-17, 18:41
Happy that you are safe. If you did actually have meningitis, you would know because it is hell. If the university did find any cases of viral meningitis, they would most likely be cleaning and clearing out a lot of dorms and living areas to make sure it did not spread. Sounds like there is a virus going around and they just want to remind students about meningitis because it is easy to spread in close quarters like college campuses. Stay in your room and get some rest, that is the best way to get your immune system back in order. Hope you feel better. Could I get it from cleaning out the landry dryer trap? I didn't wash my hands after

Fishmanpa
23-10-17, 18:46
Can you get some mental support or help from the university? It's apparent that you've been traumatized by the events of last year and it's taking you down the rabbit hole pretty deep :(

Positive thoughts

beasty340
23-10-17, 18:56
Could I get it from cleaning out the landry dryer trap? I didn't wash my hands after

I doubt it. We also don't even know if there was a confirmed case of meningitis on campus, because the university and media would be making a big deal of it. The best thing to do is to keep yourself healthy. Rest, drink lots of fluids, and eat healthy. Once you get over the funk, get out and get some fresh air and exercise. Don't worry so much about meningitis, the statistics are in your favor of not getting it. You also most likely had to get a meningitis vaccine before you went to school, and this decreases your chances of getting bacterial meningitis even more.

Moso13
24-10-17, 00:35
Can you get some mental support or help from the university? It's apparent that you've been traumatized by the events of last year and it's taking you down the rabbit hole pretty deep :(

Positive thoughts

Honestly, I have had these anxiety problems way before that even happened. Like back in high school. Ive came to terms with what happened and it doesn't bother me anymore. These issues are not from what happened. But I am planning on going to try to see a counsellor again for generalized anxiety

MyNameIsTerry
24-10-17, 01:15
I think the very fact we rarely hear of this anywhere where there are congregations of human beings tells us just how rare it is.

It's good you are planning on seeing a counsellor. You have a strong bias towards contamination so they may want to review the GAD diagnosis. If your GAD is resolved, it may point them towards more an OCD diagnosis or just OCD traits attached to your anxiety in general. If your GAD isn't coming out any other way, it sounds like your anxiety has shifted. But either way, they can definately help you to deal with it.

Fishmanpa
24-10-17, 01:19
Honestly, I have had these anxiety problems way before that even happened. Like back in high school. Ive came to terms with what happened and it doesn't bother me anymore. These issues are not from what happened. But I am planning on going to try to see a counsellor again for generalized anxiety

It's obvious you're really struggling so I'm really glad to hear you'll be seeking help.

Positive thoughts

Moso13
24-10-17, 03:56
I think the very fact we rarely hear of this anywhere where there are congregations of human beings tells us just how rare it is.

It's good you are planning on seeing a counsellor. You have a strong bias towards contamination so they may want to review the GAD diagnosis. If your GAD is resolved, it may point them towards more an OCD diagnosis or just OCD traits attached to your anxiety in general. If your GAD isn't coming out any other way, it sounds like your anxiety has shifted. But either way, they can definately help you to deal with it. I think its more generalized because its about everything at times. But i do end to have some old traits so i guess it could be that too

MyNameIsTerry
24-10-17, 04:58
I think its more generalized because its about everything at times. But i do end to have some old traits so i guess it could be that too

I've got this impression from your posting that it was more HA related with the themes revolving around areas of contamination. Are you finding that you are anxious in many situations then including outside of health e.g. social, work, etc?

Moso13
24-10-17, 17:45
I've got this impression from your posting that it was more HA related with the themes revolving around areas of contamination. Are you finding that you are anxious in many situations then including outside of health e.g. social, work, etc? I think I post mostly about HA because it freaks me out the most, but I have other things that give me bad anxiety. Like situations that require confrontation, test anxiety, driving can give me really bad anxiety, just certain situations. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm really anxious and I have no idea why.

TBmummy
24-10-17, 20:51
I have had bacteria meningitis and I have 3 children and a husband that live with me...we had shared hand towels, cuddled, kissed etc and I was terrified when I was diagnosed that either my children or husband would get it. They didn’t. The risk of it passing on is so small. Eventually they gave my husband and children preventative antibiotics as a precaution but that was 14 days after I was diagnosed!!

MyNameIsTerry
25-10-17, 01:40
I think I post mostly about HA because it freaks me out the most, but I have other things that give me bad anxiety. Like situations that require confrontation, test anxiety, driving can give me really bad anxiety, just certain situations. Sometimes I'll feel like I'm really anxious and I have no idea why.

That makes as GAD then. Yes, I think we all have our more intense worries or themes. Mine were always about the anxiety symptoms and losing control (throwing up, bowels, etc) when inside places.