PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss fears - Telogen Effluvium?

MoleHill
23-10-17, 17:30
How are all the other hair loss people doing? I know there were a few of us going through it over the summer.

I feel like I’m still shedding. But there are new baby hairs sticking straight up all over my head.

I counted today when I combed after my shower. 20-25 hairs came out.

Is this normal?

cattia
23-10-17, 17:53
Hi there! I went through this badly in the summer. I'm doing better with it now but worse in general. My hair loss worry got so bad that I decided to restart medication after years of being med free. The start-up on meds was so bad that I feel like it's tipped me over the edge. I feel worse than ever and I'm tapering down my meds with no real plan. I'm barely getting by day to day. As for the hairs, yes that's normal! What eventually got me through the hair thing was seeing how much other people shed. It seems like most women I know lose a ball of hair every day!

melfish
23-10-17, 17:57
Depends how long since you washed your hair. The longer between washes, the more you will notice as shampooing loosens the hairs that are ready to shed. Seems low to me though.

NervUs
23-10-17, 22:50
Mine has gotten better, I think.

First thing I did was cut my hair TO about chin length with layers. That is keeping it healthier and it looks much bouncier.

THen, I also started using Argan (I think its called that) shampoo, and it helps so much. It gives the hair instant body.

I have noticed a lot less coming out in the shower. LIke, there are no more clumps after showers anymore.

Part of it might have been that my stress level went down for awhile, but it is back up so I don't know if I'll see the clumps pick up again.

melfish
23-10-17, 22:55
THen, I also started using Argan (I think its called that) shampoo, and it helps so much. It gives the hair instant body.

Did someone say BODY *ears prick up*? I have the flattest, thinest, finest hair on the planet and literally a whole cupboard-full of products with the word "volume" or "body" or "thicker" on them. Which Argan shampoo are you using?

NervUs
23-10-17, 23:05
Did someone say BODY *ears prick up*? I have the flattest, thinest, finest hair on the planet and literally a whole cupboard-full of products with the word "volume" or "body" or "thicker" on them. Which Argan shampoo are you using?

I will need to check later, but I will look at the label.

You leave it on for 2 to 5 mins before rinsing, and it is a small miracle, lol

melfish
23-10-17, 23:37
PM me the name, please. The last thing we need is a RUSH on this wonder 'poo

cattia
24-10-17, 03:52
I found taking iron supplements has made a big difference. My iron was ok but ferritin was quite low. I take ferrous fumarate 210mg twice a day.

swajj
24-10-17, 06:32
New hair growth is proof that you aren’t permanently lising hair. 25 hairs a day is nothing. Actually it’s less than average. In regards to all the things you can do most of them don’t work. Don’t get sucked in by products that claim to do miraculous things for your hair.

NewYorkgirl
25-10-17, 10:39
Hi there.. this had been my main focus since July!. The checking, counting hairs, checking the bed with a torch when I get up, checking the carpets with rubber gloves, talking to people's hairlines instead of their faces..the list is endless!..honestly, I'm still doing it now but it almost seems like a 'normal' part of my day. Which i know it absolutely is not normal. I have my rational moments but they are few and far between..as soon as I see a single hair anywhere I completely freak out. It's exhausting to feel this way over something I can't really control. I take an Iron supplement and a hair, skin and nails one. I try to not wash my hair everyday but I think this is adding to my anxiety as it's just an avoidance mechanism. I try and reason with myself, If my hair had been shedding at the rate I believe it to have been since July then surely by now (October) it would be significantly noticeable to others?. Or are 'other's' just being kind and not saying anything?..see vicious circle. I hope I will break out of it soon...