PDA

View Full Version : Questions about aneurysms (brain, carotid and heart) and pulsatile tinnitus

lofwyr
24-10-17, 18:35
Title might be a bit misleading. As some may or may not know, I have been diagnosed with a 4.8cm aortic root aneurysm, and at some point in the near future I will have open heart surgery to fix it. Actually totally calm about that. It is very odd to have been so worked up about health issues all my life to find out about this during the past summer and be so calm about it now.

In the meantime, however, I have had pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear (wooshing beats to the pace of my heartgeat) for at least three years. It never bothered me overmuch until I was entered into a genetic testing program that looks for genetic diseases which I will not name here, that affect your chances of developing aneurysms. Still waiting on results from that, but in the mean time I was sent to an ENT (appointment tomorrow) to investigate the pulsatile tinnitus as it can be the result of blood vessel abnormalities around your ear in your carotid or your brain.

This appointment has me a bit freaked out. I was mortified at first about my diagnosis with the heart, but grew to be okay with it. My brain is another matter. I am in full blown health anxiety mode over this appointment, all I can see if worst case scenarios. I do have a statistical 5% chance of developing a brain aneurysm because of the aortic aneurysm--there is a correlation--so I am kind of losing my mind over something that could be caused by a totally benign source.

I was told by someone wiser than me to not borrow trouble, well, I have borrowed a lot of it. Just needing to vent, and wonder if I ever get to stop going to the damn doctor. ;-)

mrsak87
25-10-17, 11:55
I hope your appointment goes well, I have a feeling I’ll be having the exact same one!

lofwyr
25-10-17, 17:29
I know you have a similar aortic aneurysm, out of curiosity, do you happen to have pulsatile tinnitus in either ear?

Suffering loves company, but it is nice to know we are not alone. As I said in the other post, you ever want to chat, drop me a PM.

Hopefully you keep your aneurysm under control and never have to deal with the surgery. I am close, and actually now just eager to get on with it.

If you need any form of support group with regards to the aortic aneurysm, I have found a couple facebook groups that are top notch, drop me a PM if interested.

mrsak87
25-10-17, 20:25
Id like that mate about the support groups if that’s alright?

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

And I have it only one ear, and only when lying in a certain position at night

lofwyr
26-10-17, 14:27
Replied to your PM. Loads of great people there with fantastic advice, and stories of recovery that blow your mind. This is scary, but it is far from a death sentence these days.