PDA

View Full Version : Yearly blood work a few things low, anyone help me out?

Leslie735
24-10-17, 21:17
BEFORE I jump on the google train and scare myself stupid I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I had routine lab work done a week ago for a yearly check up. Its been a couple years since I've had any well I got the results today. I called and went and picked them up. I do go back on November 8th for a follow up and to discuss but in the meantime...

Everything came back in range except my HGB, MCH and MCHC, B12 and Vitamin D

HGB was 12.4 Range is 13.2-17.1
MCH was 25.8 Range is 27-33
MCHC was 31.3 Range is 32-36
B12 221 Range is 230-1050
Vit D 21.4 Range is 30-100

Vitamin D was low on my blood work 2 years ago so I'm not terribly worried about that one.

I appreciate any advice. I do not want to drive my anxiety into the ground here but I do know low stuff can mean blood cancers so trying to keep things in perspective. :unsure:

Fishmanpa
24-10-17, 21:19
"Drastically" low or high can indicate an issue. A few points off as this is, shouldn't concern you. If you're that concerned, a consult with your doctor would be the best approach.

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
24-10-17, 21:22
"Drastically" low or high can indicate an issue. A few points off as this is, shouldn't concern you. If you're that concerned, a consult with your doctor would be the best approach.

Positive thoughts

Thanks! I am seeing her back on November 8th so I plan to discuss it with her but just wanted to see what others thought before I "think" too much and google. Really trying to work on this anxiety thing. :yesyes:

beasty340
24-10-17, 22:07
First things first, DO NOT GOOGLE. It will only send you down a rabbit hole of anxiety. The internet loves to tell you that weird blood levels mean blood cancers and such. I am not a medical professional, but these slightly low levels could very well be from a lack of vitamins even vitamin b12. Best course of action is to discuss this with your doctor and tell him/her that you are concerned and that you have health anxiety so you worry about these kinds of things.

Leslie735
24-10-17, 23:38
Thank you! Yes, google is literally the devil. It has ruined me so many times. Actually my b12 was low on my results.

O_O
25-10-17, 16:21
Obviously I'm not doctor, but I don't think that looks concerning. Is your doctor worried?

Get out in the sun and eat some fatty fish, eggs and cheese though! Vitamin D is important for loads of things, including bones, the immune system and helping depression :)

Leslie735
25-10-17, 18:11
Obviously I'm not doctor, but I don't think that looks concerning. Is your doctor worried?

Get out in the sun and eat some fatty fish, eggs and cheese though! Vitamin D is important for loads of things, including bones, the immune system and helping depression :)

The low vit d. doesn't worry me too much its the low MCH, MCHC and HGB that does. :/ I'm seeing my Dr. tomorrow, I called and moved my appointment up.

O_O
25-10-17, 18:21
The low vit d. doesn't worry me too much its the low MCH, MCHC and HGB that does. :/ I'm seeing my Dr. tomorrow, I called and moved my appointment up.

It sounds like you're slightly anaemic, but not too bad (though I'm no expert obviously). Maybe you'll get prescribed some iron tablets. My haemoglobin went down to 8.9 once! After a week on iron tablets I was up to 12. Hopefully the doctor will shed some light on it all.

beasty340
26-10-17, 22:09

How did the appointment go?

Capercrohnj
26-10-17, 22:21
It sounds like you're slightly anaemic, but not too bad (though I'm no expert obviously). Maybe you'll get prescribed some iron tablets. My haemoglobin went down to 8.9 once! After a week on iron tablets I was up to 12. Hopefully the doctor will shed some light on it all.

Hemoglobin isn't low enough to take iron pills. It's barely low. My normal is 12. I've been down to 6 before which was fun but had lovely blood transfusion

Leslie735
27-10-17, 20:17
Appointment went well she wasn't worried at all about the low levels. She did start me on B12 injections and supplements for both b12 and D.

eternalhope
27-10-17, 21:53
Thank you! Yes, google is literally the devil. It has ruined me so many times. Actually my b12 was low on my results.

I just went through something similar. My WBC count is at 3.8 (4.5 in 2015, 4.0 in 2014). Doc wanted me to re-test on 11/22. I told him no way, not waiting until after Thanksgiving for test results. Rescheduled for 11/20. :)

Anyway, I did the unthinkable and checked out Google. Bad, bad move.