PDA

View Full Version : Assymetrical large lymph nodes ?

jaroslav.prossv
25-10-17, 11:14
Hello, I am confused. I am 18 years old male. I felt pain around my collar bone, it was more in the muscle, and while touching it, I found a palpable lymph node. The lymph node on the other side is also palpable, but the one on the right is a bit bigger. Both are I think over 1 cm which is considered abnormal ? But I also can feel a lymp node on the back of my neck, which is also bigger than 1 cm and it has always been like this, I remember touching it as a kid. Same with my groins, I thought I had hernia one time because I could feel the lymp nodes, I can feel like 6 of them in my groins and most of them are defo over 1cm, maybe even 2 and they have always been like that. All of these lymph nodes I mentioned are also in assymetrical locations. Is this normal ? I have a very low body fat value. Thank you

ADDED: So I just somewhat measured the lymph nodes in the neck, and it is hard to say if they are different in size. They are definitaly assymetrical in location, but the size is hard to say because one is deeper in the skin so it has a different sensation. Also when meausring them, they might be actaully under 1 am, its hard to tell, but the nodes in my groin are definitaly longer than 1 cm, but it has always been like that.

NancyW
25-10-17, 12:22
Why are you feeling around for them ?

I'm not medically trained to know what's what. Are you ?

Fishmanpa
25-10-17, 13:06
Even medical professional are taking an "educated" guess as to the actual size of a node. Just sayin... :whistles:

Stop poking and prodding.

Positive thoughts

O_O
25-10-17, 16:12
You know, I reckon go to the doctor and let them take a look. Especially the collar bone ones. The doctor is the only one who can diagnose any lumps and bumps.

But it sounds good that they're palpable. Plus you've had some for a long time which haven't changed, so that doesn't sound concerning.

jaroslav.prossv
25-10-17, 21:32
You know, I reckon go to the doctor and let them take a look. Especially the collar bone ones. The doctor is the only one who can diagnose any lumps and bumps.

But it sounds good that they're palpable. Plus you've had some for a long time which haven't changed, so that doesn't sound concerning.

I measured them again, the ones in the neck are 1 cm max, and the one in the groin is about 1,5 cm i guess. I wonder, is it possible that this is their normal size, but I just did not notice before ?

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Even medical professional are taking an "educated" guess as to the actual size of a node. Just sayin... :whistles:

Stop poking and prodding.

Positive thoughts

The sizes in my neck are 1 cm max, and groin is about 1,5 cm, should I stop worrying and keep an eye on it if it enlarges or visit a doc ?

O_O
25-10-17, 21:38
I'm pretty sure 1cm can be normal for nodes in the neck, and groin nodes are often larger. Since you're very thin, they're likely to be more evident.

It's really up to you whether you want to go to the doctor! If you're happy to watch and wait then that's probably perfectly healthy. I'd have the doctor check then personally, but... my health anxiety is extreme.

Fishmanpa
25-10-17, 21:39
At only 18yo, I would get help with your anxiety over this and go enjoy life. Ohhh yeah... STOP POKING AND PRODDING!

Positive thoughts

jaroslav.prossv
25-10-17, 21:52
I'm pretty sure 1cm can be normal for nodes in the neck, and groin nodes are often larger. Since you're very thin, they're likely to be more evident.

It's really up to you whether you want to go to the doctor! If you're happy to watch and wait then that's probably perfectly healthy. I'd have the doctor check then personally, but... my health anxiety is extreme.

Thx, I will make an appointment because my health anxiety is out of control :huh:. Btw, I somewhere read, that enlarged lympnodes are usually measured by the short-axis, I was talking about the lenght the whole time, the short axis of all the lymphnodes I mentioned are way smaller. Do you have any experience with that ?

O_O
25-10-17, 21:59
Thx, I will make an appointment because my health anxiety is out of control :huh:. Btw, I somewhere read, that enlarged lympnodes are usually measured by the short-axis, I was talking about the lenght the whole time, the short axis of all the lymphnodes I mentioned are way smaller. Do you have any experience with that ?

If the long axis is the lengths you've mentioned then even better :) I only have one noticeable lymph node, on the front of my neck. I was very paranoid about it. The long axis is about 1cm and the short axis less. My doctor felt it and said it was fine. Small, palpable, nothing to worry about. This was two weeks ago, and I still have it, but it seems the same size. To be honest I may have had it for ages and just never noticed it before.

But yes let the doctor take a look and hopefully put your mind at ease!

jaroslav.prossv
25-10-17, 22:06
at only 18yo, i would get help with your anxiety over this and go enjoy life. Ohhh yeah... Stop poking and prodding!

Positive thoughts

true :) thanks

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

If the long axis is the lengths you've mentioned then even better :) I only have one noticeable lymph node, on the front of my neck. I was very paranoid about it. The long axis is about 1cm and the short axis less. My doctor felt it and said it was fine. Small, palpable, nothing to worry about. This was two weeks ago, and I still have it, but it seems the same size. To be honest I may have had it for ages and just never noticed it before.

But yes let the doctor take a look and hopefully put your mind at ease!

Thanks, so what is the normal lenght usually ? Because the medical sites I found were usually talking about the short axis. Also, some sites stated that rubbery like lymphnodes are usually lymphoma, what do they mean by rubbery ?

O_O
25-10-17, 23:30
true :) thanks

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Thanks, so what is the normal lenght usually ? Because the medical sites I found were usually talking about the short axis. Also, some sites stated that rubbery like lymphnodes are usually lymphoma, what do they mean by rubbery ?

To my knowledge, most lymph nodes are sort of pea sized. They just can't generally be felt unless you really go looking for them. In reality, lots of people have a few shotty lymph nodes that they can always feel, especially if they're very thin. But I'm no expert! I've wondered about the rubbery thing too. I'd have described my node as rubbery - sort of semi-firm and slightly moveable - but apparently that's fine.

Only way to know for sure is to get the doctor to check. If he thinks it warrants further investigation he'll probably send you for an ultrasound or something.

Ellient
25-10-17, 23:36
How can you even measure your lymph nodes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O_O
26-10-17, 00:02
How can you even measure your lymph nodes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you have a shotty / enlarged / otherwise noticeable one you can get a fairly good idea of its size just by touching it.

Whether or not that's mentally healthy, I couldn't say. Probably best, if you find an enlarged node, just to get the doctor to check! Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who will always attempt to measure them.

Ellient
26-10-17, 00:08
Well, if you have a shotty / enlarged / otherwise noticeable one you can get a fairly good idea of its size just by touching it.

Whether or not that's mentally healthy, I couldn't say. Probably best, if you find an enlarged node, just to get the doctor to check! Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who will always attempt to measure them.

I see but people have to remember they're on muscle in the neck (making them feel bigger) I have one in my neck since I had a cold it has shrunk I didn't get it checked out but I don't worry about it.

I would go get lymph nodes checked out if they come without infection maybe or as you said collar bone lymph nodes are always worth getting checked out.

I wonder how many people worry about glands!

O_O
26-10-17, 00:19
I see but people have to remember they're on muscle in the neck (making them feel bigger) I have one in my neck since I had a cold it has shrunk I didn't get it checked out but I don't worry about it.

I would go get lymph nodes checked out if they come without infection maybe or as you said collar bone lymph nodes are always worth getting checked out.

I wonder how many people worry about glands!

Literally seems to be people's biggest concern on here. Even more than cancer and ALS. I'm actually amazed how relatively relaxed I am about mine at the moment, considering how mental I am at the moment. As long as it doesn't get bigger...

Ellient
26-10-17, 00:44
Literally seems to be people's biggest concern on here. Even more than cancer and ALS. I'm actually amazed how relatively relaxed I am about mine at the moment, considering how mental I am at the moment. As long as it doesn't get bigger...

I agree, I see a lot of lymph node threads, I guess it all relates to thinking it's some sort of cancer.

I think if everyone went digging they'd find them it's just some people don't care too so that's why it's so unheard of I guess to have palpable nodes, if I said to someone in real life can you feel your glands, they'd probably be like well obviously!

jaroslav.prossv
09-11-17, 17:42
Hello I am 18 yr old male, so pretty much two weeks ago I felt pain around my trap muscle from working out and when touching it, I realized I can feel a little lump, I immidietely panicked and started examining my other side of the neck, I found the lump too but a lot higher and a bit different size. I panicked because it was not symmetrical and realized that some time ago I actually could feel a lump in my groin thinking it was hernia (about 4 years ago), so I started examining my groin and sure it was still there, and assymetric. I also have palpable gland on the back of my neck. I went to my GP and he said they are not swollen, he could hardly feel anything and said I am 100% ok, I think he even laughed a bit. I forgot about it and felt all well, until I started getting little rash probably from cold weather which was itchy (I get this every winter), I also developed a cold sore and swollen part of tosnil (the cold sore could be from the weather and tonsil from me eating too much raw tomatoes - it did happen before). Well long story short now I always itch when I think about it, it is pretty light and goes away with scratching. And does not occur when thinking about it. The cold sore and tonsils lasted for about 2 days, but now I feel a little sore throat and cold. I dont think I have any fever, and night sweats, sometimes I do get cold flashes but that is usually when I worry. So here I am worried about lymphoma again. The thing is, I can now feel another lump next to the orginal lump, it is small and movable, I might have missed it last time because I was so fixated on the one I found. So I wonder if they are judged as swollen or normal. Because some sites said they should not be normaly palpable, but others said it is normal to feel them around the neck and groin and they are ok if they are under 1 cm and under 1,5 cm in the groin, which all are, but they are not symmetric. Even here I found some voting thread where about 60% of people said they actually can feel their glands in the neck, however I dont know if they are symmetrical or not. Here is further description:

Right side prosterial cervical 1 - This is the one I found originally, it still the same size, round and about 0,5 cm x 0,5 cm, dont have this one on the other side. Soft and movable. It is pretty deep cannot be felt when just feeling around the skin, I have to press a bit to feel it.

Right side prosterial cervical 2 - This is the one I found today, but I was pushing deeper today, where this one is located. It is more closer to the neck but a lot deeper, so I would not be suprised if I mised this one. Size is also about 0,5 x 0,5, but maybe smaller. Soft and movable. This one is very hard to feel, closer to the neck but deeper than the first one, sometimes I dont feel it at all.

Left side prosterial cervical - This one is more similar to the prosterial cervical 2 even though it is more on the surface, it is about 0,7 cm long axis and like 0,3 short axes. This one is highly movable.

---Just to say, I have more muscle mass on my right side, and my trap is a lot bigger there so I just hope the muscle is pushing the lymph nodes up or something.

Right inguianl Inguinal lymp node (groin) - this one is weird. I could always feel my nodes in the groin, I remember 4 yeras ago I found them and thought it was hernia because I could not feel it on the other side and it was quite long, but I obviously dont remember how long. Now it is about 1,3-5 cm long axis and like 0,4 cm short axes. It is movable and soft. I found that groin lymph nodes can be as long as 1,5 cm, but the fact that is it not symmetrical with the other side worries me. (However most sites did not metnion symmetry when reading about lymph nodes)

Right side back of my neck the occipital side - there is one about 0,5 x 0,5 cm, it is soft but not movable. This one does not worry me because I feel like I always had it, and it is still the same. I definitaly remember touching it 1-2 years ago thinking it was neck cancer, but somehow forgot about it.

I am a huge hypochodnraic, I had almost all the cancers and other shit, it it lasting about 5 years. I just hope I dont have lymphoma. Most of the sites stated the normal lymph node size in short axis, which I all have 0,5 cm or less. The thing that worries me is just the symmetry, that I can feel them only on one side, so please, anyone has experience with this ? I dont want to cause anxiety on you, but if you can examine yourself and maybe tell if yours are assymetric too or not. I already went to my GP and in my country you cannot just go around multiple gps so now I am here, what should I do ?

Thank you :yesyes:

ADDED: Also the fact that they are not painful worries me, so if they are actually swollen it cannot be an infection.

Elen
09-11-17, 18:06
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

jaroslav.prossv
09-11-17, 18:06
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Can I bump this thread ? Thx

nomorepanic
09-11-17, 18:14
It is already bumped by posting on it