PDA

View Full Version : Different chest pains

kimmiepie
16-06-07, 02:49
Hi. I have a question about chest pains. :blush:

I've looked at some other posts and done a search but can't find anything that explains exactly what I'm talking about.

I used to have chest pains that were under my left breast, for a while. I went to a dr about it and had a chest x ray, ekg both normal. That was about 3 years ago.

Then when I was pregnant about less than 2 years ago I was having BAD ectopics, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate etc. Still occasionally with the chest pains under left breast. This time they did an ultrasound, another ekg, halter monitor, event monitor and another chest xray. All normal.

Fastforward to September of last year. At this time I began having "different" chest pains. It was like a pain in the upper left portion of my chest, above the left breast. Exactly where a dr once told me it would hurt if it was indeed angina. It wasn't really painful but was more achy painful. This began happening in my neck as well as my left arm...shooting pains. One day it was SOOO bad I was sure I was having a heart attack. It lasted all day and my dr said she could hear my heart missing a beat (ectopic) but that my pulse was normal, so that was good. To this day I am convinced that I had a very minor heart attack that day (which I've read can happen).

Now I never got any of these pains upon exertion. It was just anytime, anywhere, mostly upon resting or sitting etc. Well, as of about 6 months ago I began having a really short squeezing "pain" (doesn't really hurt) in that same upper left portion. It only lasts a second...just squeeze, and it's gone. It sounds just like angina!!! It now happens when I'm exerting myself...not usually when exercising but when cleaning the house, moving furniture, walking with the stroller etc. Ocassionally it will go down my arm as well. It feels deep and not like costochondritis. I've had that before and can tell the difference. It doesn't hurt when I push on it.

Now, if this was really "muscle tension" and anxiety related"

Why does it happen on exertion and at rest?

Why does it only last a second, and squeeze or push?

There are usually no anxiety symptoms present when this happens, sometimes it actually brings them on.

Could all the things I've read in the past about where the pain would be located, how it would feel and when it would happen be making my body produce those symptoms? For example, I used to get the squeeze pain but only on resting...then when I told myself it would be upon exertion if it was my heart it eventually became that?

I'm really freaked out. I'm only 26 but I've had a TON of stress in my life. Like an unbelieveable amount and I know that can have a bad effect on your heart.

I can't go back to the dr as I'm in the US and have no health insurance. I can't afford it and my husband already thinks I'm nuts for spending so much money on tests in the past.

Could something like heart disease pop up after having a test less than 2 years ago? I guess it could huh.

:weep: Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

decker6869
16-06-07, 03:47
Firstly i am no expert.

I will say that yes your mind can create the same pains on exertion that you felt in resting. I notice that when im trying to fight thorugh my panic/anxiety attacks that the more i exert or move the more my anxiety/panic will try to make itself to keep me down, so your sub-concious mind could very well create the situational pain that you do fear. Fear is a sonofagun. It can manifest itself in many many ways. Mind you i am no expert, i do have the racing heart symptom from panic and i did let my panic put me down on my back for months so now that i am trying to walk a little more and workout a little bit each day, my heart speeds up rather easily and i think that is normal for someone whos had a sedentary lifestyle for months on end. I don't think ive ever had ectopics or missed beats, people that seem to have them, know there having them. Sorry i cant be of more help.

i guess the thing to remember is, your mind can create all kinds of problems and if you let the fear get to you, it will just compound it.

I would suggest seeing a doctor, because you never want to take a chance when it comes to your heart. Everyones body is different and things can change over time. I wouldnt let fear grip you though, just remember, what is going to happen, will happen and in the large scheme of things, we control very little. I do not know if you are religious, but i try to live by the phrase of "Let go, and let God".. i believe in the end thats all there is to everything.

Sorry if ive been little help, but know that you are not alone in the battle of anxiety/panic! If indeed all you have is anxiety or panic, then hold up your head and kick it in the rearend!

Be safe and be good!

xBettyBoopx
16-06-07, 04:08
Hi Kimmie

I'm no expert either but I can def relate to ure problem, I've had it now for quite some time, I personnaly think they are deep muscle twitches. I have the twitches all over my body but some I can see twitching (can see the skin moving) others are deeper and can't see anything but can feel it. That's why it might only last a few seconds and isn't pain so much as pushing.

Always good to see the dr though to make sure.

Take care

Elspeth

tommythomson
17-06-07, 19:52
Hi

A dr is the best person to put your mind at rest. This is crap advice, i know, but they are the only ones qualified to give you a 100% answer. I feared i had angina as i get pains / discomfort in my chest quite alot. I was told that angina would present itself upon exertion. I'm 33 and was told you are normally older if you are going to get it.
I have days when i'm fine and i don't get any pains. On the days when my mood is low or i think too much about the chest pains that is when they are at their worst. I constantly worry there is something physically wrong with me and this perpetuates my symptoms. It's catch 22 - you worry about the symptoms and your worry creates them.
So i would agree with Decker that it is your mind creating alot of the symptoms. I also twitch like Elspeth.
I saw a shrink and he told me to put the chest pains to one side(forget them and trust your body) and concentrate on my anxiety. If the chest pains still remain then i should go back to the dr. He told me to do this and read a book. The book is Overcoming Panic by Derrick Silove & Vijaya Manicavasagar. My chest pains have really reduced alot and i'm kinda just getting on with things again. Although i'm not 'cured' i hope i'm on the right path.

Sorry for the epic. Hope this helps you.

All the best

T :yesyes: