PDA

View Full Version : reused needle?

Mary2
25-10-17, 19:58
Hi, I'm 21 and I'm horrified!
Today I went to test myself for allergies and waiting the result, another patient walked to me and started being indignant about how everything is so expensive and how they don't even change the needles.
They did me two types of tests
During the first type of skin test, a drop of a suspected allergen is pricked on the surface of the skin. (I'm sure they did use a new one!!! - they opened a new one and throwed it after)
But the second type - small amount of the suspected allergen is injected into the skin - She HAD that ready (so I don't know if it's a new one or used one) but after using it she put it next to the others (she didn't throw it away) does it mean she reused it on me and will do it again on other people?
I'm freaking out right now!!!!!

Capercrohnj
26-10-17, 01:53
Medical professionals do not reuse needles. If they did that clinic would be closed in a heartbeat as it a major major offense.

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-17, 02:39
Countries like France will have very strict guidelines about destruction/recycling of any medical equipment. The same for controls against contamination.

France will be adhering to the highest worldwide standards, I'm sure.

Mary2
26-10-17, 18:40
They would have caught them if they were doing it right ��

KK77
26-10-17, 19:08
Needles are not expensive and there really wouldn't be a good reason to reuse them.

Next time, if you're in that position again, speak to them about your concerns so you don't come away with these doubts.

swgrl09
26-10-17, 19:21
I've had allergy testing done. The second type of needles probably have to be disposed of a specific way so maybe she just was waiting until you left to do that part. There are strict regulations surrounding this though.

Mary2
26-10-17, 19:26
Do you remember if they throw them away? (If you had of the second type)
Now I’m watching videos of that type testing and they do throw them :/

au Lait
27-10-17, 05:46
In any medical profession used needles get placed in what's called a sharps bin. It's basically a container that allows for potentially hazardous needles and such to be disposed of safely. All used needles get disposed of that way. Sharps bins are usually kept where patients can't see/get at them, because if anyone started messing with the bin and jabbed themselves on a used needle it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. A lot of times they will wait until the patient is gone to clean up.

Nurses often prepare injections before they even enter the room to administer them, so that could be why you didn't see her putting a needle on the syringe. She had simply prepared it before she went in with you. That's not unusual at all.

No medical office would ever reuse needles. For legal reasons, at the very least. You don't need to worry.

Annaboodle
27-10-17, 10:01
Hi Mary. When I was reading your post I was thinking that what that patient said, that is just the sort of utter nonsense that my evil gran (ironically also an HA sufferer, but she liked to spread the pain around!) used to say to people to scare them in doctors surgeries, pharmacists, etc... She was paranoid about everything and everyone and would think nothing of going up to someone like yourself and making up rubbish about something like re-used needles, telling people they can't trust THAT doctor because they misdiagnosed Mrs Collerbone in 1973 (that's an actual lie she told).

I think you should always consider the source of information. Some random crackpot who comes up to you with their paranoid theory is not a reliable source of information. Ask yourself, how would they even know? What is a random person doing coming up to you and saying that? I'm in the UK and we are highly suspicious of ANYONE who speaks to us in public. Are they mad (in a bad way), drunk at 9am, just over-friendly? It's why it's considered bad form to stare at anyone else on pubic transport. :wink:

Medical professionals don't reuse needles. They just don't. They'd lose their jobs, licenses, create a huge scandal. They just don't do it.

Mary2
27-10-17, 10:59
Thank you for your replies guys. :hugs:
I mean I haven’t even noticed that until she said it. She was like “they first injected it on the boy before you then on you and now on me. 20 years ago when I did such tests it was safer and cheaper, now they don’t even change the syringe.” And I got panicked thinking of the whole procedure and that the nurse put the syringe that she used on me next to the other ready for use injections(all without protective covers and having plasters with a letter on them)
The needles she used during the prickle test she threw in a small bin though... (maybe it was too small for the syringes?)
The woman’s actions were crazy a bit for real.

swgrl09
27-10-17, 13:07
Hi Mary. When I was reading your post I was thinking that what that patient said, that is just the sort of utter nonsense that my evil gran (ironically also an HA sufferer, but she liked to spread the pain around!) used to say to people to scare them in doctors surgeries, pharmacists, etc... She was paranoid about everything and everyone and would think nothing of going up to someone like yourself and making up rubbish about something like re-used needles, telling people they can't trust THAT doctor because they misdiagnosed Mrs Collerbone in 1973 (that's an actual lie she told).

I think you should always consider the source of information. Some random crackpot who comes up to you with their paranoid theory is not a reliable source of information. Ask yourself, how would they even know? What is a random person doing coming up to you and saying that? I'm in the UK and we are highly suspicious of ANYONE who speaks to us in public. Are they mad (in a bad way), drunk at 9am, just over-friendly? It's why it's considered bad form to stare at anyone else on pubic transport. :wink:

Medical professionals don't reuse needles. They just don't. They'd lose their jobs, licenses, create a huge scandal. They just don't do it.

This is a great post. I don't mean any disrespect but your story about your gran made me laugh, as I know somebody JUST like that :roflmao: But your point is right on. Consider the source!