PDA

View Full Version : Just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, is this a real disorder?

emanticoff73
26-10-17, 00:14
Saw a rhuematologist. All my blood work for auto immune diseases came back negative. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. What is this? Anyone know anything about this. I have been given lyrica. Is that a goid med for muscular pain. Also went to a chiropractor today. How do you feel about chiropractors? Im so confused. Help

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-17, 01:28
Yes, it is as a rheumotologist would know. This should explain it:

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There are some on here with it but there are forums for fibro too as I've come across sime when looking for anxiety recovery techniques/devices in the past.

Fishmanpa
26-10-17, 05:53
Saw a rhuematologist. All my blood work for auto immune diseases came back negative. He diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. What is this? Anyone know anything about this. I have been given lyrica. Is that a goid med for muscular pain. Also went to a chiropractor today. How do you feel about chiropractors? Im so confused. Help

My ex has (had) it. At it's worst, she would get all over pain, joints swelling, fatigue, muscle twitching etc. Not coincidentally, she suffers(ed) from severe depression that manifested itself into hoarding. My understanding of fibromyalgia (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibromyalgia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354780) is that it's heavily influenced by the psychological aspects of the individual. I don't remember the name of it but she got shots of some medication bi weekly or something to help her.

Lyrica is a pretty common med for nerve pain. I take Gabapentin for my nueropathy. I talked to my team about Lyrica and while it has the added benefit to help with mood issues, they felt the Gabapentin was the better choice.

I do know, now that my ex got help with her depression, the fibro issues have waned considerably.

As far as a chiro? heck yeah! Why not. The times I went, I walked out feeling so much better. Another thing to consider is acupuncture. You have to do a little research to find a good one that's familiar with fibro but it's worth it. I found a acupuncture doc that treated survivors and was a survivor himself. Let me tell you what... that was a freaking miracle! It helped me regain saliva production, lessened my overall pain level and even helped with my neuropathy! I'd still be going regularly if it wasn't so damn expensive. My insurance covers chiros but not acupuncture... go figure.

Anyway, I'm glad you have a diagnosis and it's not the sinister things you were torturing yourself with. Fibro is something that's managable and treatable.

Positive thoughts

Ellecee
26-10-17, 06:27
I have fibro. It's real. Lyrica didn't help me, but it might help you. I've found the most relief from LDN (low dose naltrexone). It also helped my depression and panic disorder.

swgrl09
26-10-17, 13:32
My sister has fibromyalgia and goes to a chiropractor as well as massage therapy. She takes cymbalta (duloxetine) for it and it also helps with her anxiety/depression. I have also been to a chiro for many things and found them great and really helpful.

I agree with the recommendation to seek out some fibro support groups. :hugs:

Magic
26-10-17, 14:43
I am sure I have fibromyalgia although I have not had a diagnosis.
I have pain in different parts of my body when touched.
I have arthritis in my spine, I know that as I had an MRI scan a few years ago.
I take small dose of amitriptyline 10mg at night. co-codamol to and chlordiapoxide..
I don't think my GP could give me anything different.
I went to see a private chiropractor many times and the last time I went I was given treatment he saw me for 10minuets. I did not go again as it was £30 a time!!!
I have looked on the site from Terry (thank you) It is something that I can ask GP about the next time I am asked for a review.
I try my best not to go to the doctors as I get worked up so much. I don't know if anyone is like me in that respect.

Elliejane44
26-10-17, 18:51
Hi

I have been thinking I have this for a few weeks it was my new worry . Gp says no it just stress or iron deficiency . Have you been tested for iron deficiency .

I have been having muscle aches and twitching too.

Good luck let me know how you get on

Ellie

emanticoff73
26-10-17, 23:22
Yes they have tested my iron. I also has a rheumatic work up that came back negative. Had 2 nuerological exams too. So my rhuematologist diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I have really bad muscle pain, tightness and burning. Also my joints kill me. I cried in pain for months. Thought I was dying. But I'm trusting my doc on this diagnosis. Hopefully i don't regret it.