PDA

View Full Version : Things just went from 0 to 100

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 13:24
Hey all

So I've been having night sweats the last week and a half so contacted my doctor who sent me for a bunch of blood tests this morning.

Had them done around 10.30...

at 1pm I got a phone call from the doctor surgury saying they need to see me. Apparently my red blood count is waaaaaaaaaaay low and they want to check me over. So of course, instant panic.

Hoping that it's just that I am very anemic.
I was anemic a few months ago but stupidly didn't finish my course of iron tablets (long story!). It's likely for to that, right?

swgrl09
26-10-17, 13:27
It sounds like that could be the culprit. Hopefully you get some answers and feel better soon!

Leslie735
26-10-17, 14:01
I'm actually heading to my doctor in about an hour for a similar reason. I had routine lab work done a week ago and my results came back that a few areas in my red blood was low. My MCH, MCHC and hemoglobin. I'm very nervous! Keep posted, I'll say a quick prayer for you!!! *hugs*

WiredIncorrectly
26-10-17, 14:12
Did they test your Iron at the same time as testing your count? They can usually do both. Hopefully it's low Iron. I have had the same problem too.

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 14:19
I don't think they did... or maybe they did. I had four vials taken and can't remember everythingthat was done. I remember renal, liver function, thyroid, full blood count and some others but don't know if iron was there.

Do have a ton of anemia symptoms. Spent like two weeks last month doing everything in my power not to eat soap. Haha.

Plus been on lots of ibuprofen (with history of bad acid reflux) so they might want to make sure I don't have a stomach ulcer

WiredIncorrectly
26-10-17, 14:31
Eat. Soap?! That's a new one. I had to chuckle he he. I have bad reflux atm too. I think I've been drinking too much ginger soda though.

When do you have your appointment?

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 14:33
Tell me about it! Dove soap... could have happily eaten it by the bar

Appointment is in an hour. I'm now wondering if they want to make sure I'm not bleeding from a stomach ulcer or something since I'm on a few stomach destroying drugs atm

WiredIncorrectly
26-10-17, 14:37
Tell me about it! Dove soap... could have happily eaten it by the bar

Appointment is in an hour. I'm now wondering if they want to make sure I'm not bleeding from a stomach ulcer or something since I'm on a few stomach destroying drugs atm

I hate it when doctors phone and ask you to come in. They fail to understand how much worry and anxiety it causes for the patient and it's mostly nothing. Yeah they probably want to double check its something minor like anaemia so they can sort some meds out and get you feeling better.

I can not imagine eating a bar of Dove ha ha. I have intense sugar cravings at the moment and I keep eating cadbury star bars. It's causing acne breakouts. I need to stop.

Annaboodle
26-10-17, 14:43
Hello, if it was something that serious I think they'd advise you to go straight up to the hospital. Sounds likely its the iron issue and hope you can resolve the issue with your iron tablets whatever it was.

Post later if you get a chance to update us all and hope you feel better soon.

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 14:44
It got to the point I had an empty box hanging around to sniff when I was getting craving. It was mad! XD

The receptionist and doc did say on the phone not to worry (ha) so I am thinking anemia and they want to make sure that it's not caused by my meds before stuffing me with more meds

Fishmanpa
26-10-17, 14:51
The receptionist and doc did say on the phone not to worry (ha) so I am thinking anemia and they want to make sure that it's not caused by my meds before stuffing me with more meds

Well there ya go! They don't say these things willy nilly.

Positive thoughts

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 15:50
Well then...

Still sitting in doctors surgery. I was right, anemia. Very bad . Full blood count should be 120 but it's 66. Most likely due to heavy periods and rheumatoid arthritis but possibly due to ibuprfen too.

On way to hospital to have iron infusion or possibly blood transfusion

WiredIncorrectly
26-10-17, 15:58
Well then...

Still sitting in doctors surgery. I was right, anemia. Very bad . Full blood count should be 120 but it's 66. Most likely due to heavy periods and rheumatoid arthritis but possibly due to ibuprfen too.

On way to hospital to have iron infusion or possibly blood transfusion

:( On the bright side you should be feeling much better after the transfusion and at least they can get you on meds/treatment to ensure it doesn't happen again. Have they said what the cause is?

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 15:59
Not as bad as my brain was expecting. Pain in the butt but I can cope with anemic.

They think it's down to my heavy periods and bad bought of rheumatoid arthritis but aren't discounting that it could have been the ibuprofen

WiredIncorrectly
26-10-17, 16:02
Not as bad as my brain was expecting. Pain in the butt but I can cope with anemic.

They think it's down to my heavy periods and bad bought of rheumatoid arthritis but aren't discounting that it could have been the ibuprofen

Thankfully it's only a minor issue. I'd be happy with that :) Should only take a couple of hours tbh. Red meats and green veggies will help too. Spinach is awesome.

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 16:19
I agree. It's alarming to be told you need to go into hospital then but it is a minor and easily fixed problem.

And if it means dove soap will be safe from me then all well and good :P

girlrock
26-10-17, 18:34
Probably anemia! I just went through it. I was having crazy symptoms, my biggest being the craving to eat ice. I was insatiable! I was in a quest to find the best ice in my area. I do think if you were having a BIG problem you would have way more symptoms than wanting to eat soap and night sweats. I’ve had night sweats for 10 years. I can’t even sleep in pajamas! Good luck! Keep us posted!

Sorry, I just realized there was a second page. Glad to hear it’s just anemia. Hope you feel better soon! I also just got diagnosed with the beginnings of RA! Ugh!

Leslie735
26-10-17, 19:16
Glad that's all it was. I had my appointment too and mine was low B12. I have start supplements and injections.

Elliejane44
26-10-17, 20:12
Hi

Glad both were ok.

I have low iron ferritin of 10 and waiting for b12 results

Have any of you had muscle aches with it ? I had them for last 2 weeks or so. Worried it some else .

Gp says might be the deficiency or plain old anxiety

Ellie

Rhiannon.
26-10-17, 21:49
Relieved to say I am back home. After looking over everything the consultant didn't want to start me on infusions or transfusions because of my age. Instead he has me on iron tablets and wants to see me again in 4 weeks. Still had to have an IV line fitted which suuuuuucked.

Ellie, actually, yes. My muscles have been incredibly stiff the last few weeks