PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound vs CT

PolarBear01
26-10-17, 15:56
In the last few weeks I have had both an ultrasound and CT Scan (with contrast) to rule out Lymphadenopathy. Ultrasound showed 7 nodes, 1 of which was slightly enlarged (~2cm). This prompted the CT scan, which returned this week and showed 0 enlarged nodes or abnormalities.

Which test is more reliable for this?

Fishmanpa
26-10-17, 16:04
Depends on what they're looking for but in this case it doesn't mater because all is normal :)

Positive thoughts

Jett81013
26-10-17, 18:06
I ditto what Fishmanpa said.

I also think your post answered your own question...ultrasound saw something different, CT scan with contrast highlights that something different and confirms, in your case, normal!

PolarBear01
30-10-17, 19:54
Depends on what they're looking for but in this case it doesn't mater because all is normal :)

Positive thoughts

I ditto what Fishmanpa said.

I also think your post answered your own question...ultrasound saw something different, CT scan with contrast highlights that something different and confirms, in your case, normal!

Thanks for the responses.

Generally speaking, which test is better suited to rule out Lymphadenopathy? I was under the impression ultrasounds were accurate for measuring the size of nodes, but not much else. Because of that, I was surprised to see the CT scan not even report on a single node being > 1cm since the ultrasound reported it being ~2cm.

Fishmanpa
30-10-17, 20:26
Thanks for the responses.

Generally speaking, which test is better suited to rule out Lymphadenopathy? I was under the impression ultrasounds were accurate for measuring the size of nodes, but not much else. Because of that, I was surprised to see the CT scan not even report on a single node being > 1cm since the ultrasound reported it being ~2cm.

Generally speaking it doesn't matter in this case. And I see what your anxiety is doing to try and keep your fear alive ;)

Positive thoughts

PolarBear01
30-10-17, 20:30
Generally speaking it doesn't matter in this case. And I see what your anxiety is doing to try and keep your fear alive ;)

Positive thoughts

Appreciate the re-assurance. I fully trust the CT scan and my doctor, however I continue to have night sweats and on/off itching, and that concerns me.