PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with accepting good news - driving everyone crazy!

ktdid2000
26-10-17, 17:34
Hi guys,

I've posted a lot on here about my breast lump dramas. I've recently had some success with getting on a plan to deal with my anxieties, including a twice-yearly ultrasound (my doctors idea) so I don't run off to the doctor for every little lump I find or think I find.

I've had a simple cyst that I can feel pretty easily since last August. When I first felt it I got a scan right away that came back as a simple fluid-filled cyst. Had another scan in December for another reason and they saw the same simple cyst in the same location - just a mm larger. My last scan a few weeks ago saw the same simple cyst in the same location - but another mm larger.

I've pretty much accepted that it's just that - a cyst and nothing to worry about. BUT every once in a while my HA will kick up and try to convince me that "maybe they missed something". I know this is something a lot of us struggle with - accepting good news. Especially if the symptoms linger, like the cyst is for me. I always think "shouldn't it have gone away by now if it was benign!?!" It's a very slippery slope.

How do you guys accept good news if symptoms still linger? How can you trust the docs to not have missed something? There are so many stories online about misdiagnoses and it always freaks me out. Surely they wouldn't have missed something on 3 scans?!?

Just looking for tips on how to accept and trust. Thanks!

ODA_555
26-10-17, 17:46
It is tricky but if you consider the fact that you're incredibly lucky to have good news given the fact that there are many who don't get that good news. In my case, I had a cancer fear cause of discomfort in my upper left quadrant. This discomfort lasted for almost a full year and it was nerve wracking especially knowing my mom died because of Ovarian Cancer a few months ago. I saw 3 doctors, did multiple blood tests and an ultrasound which showed that cancer was highly unlikely. That was good news and I have taken it and run with it. Now, I don't pay attention to my left side and I hardly ever feel the discomfort anymore. My advice to you is similar to something Fishmnpa would say is accept the good news and try to enjoy your life and health while you have it.

swgrl09
26-10-17, 19:28
If there was ANY doubt it was a cyst, they would send you for a biopsy. As others have said, enjoy your good health :)