PDA

View Full Version : Lymph Node - Turning into a mess. (Need help.)

raizorpoke
27-10-17, 19:38
I came to uni mid Sep and I was loving it, until about October 6th-10th where I caught freshers flu (or simmilar). Since then everything has been going wrong for my health anxiety. I shook the flu over about 4 days but had a lasting cough that only really went away a few days ago.

I still have a blocked nose and cough up greenies (sorry). This isn't usually a problem but today I felt the side of my nick on the right and felt a lump. I felt cold and clammy instantly and nearly blacked out over fear of lymphoma.

Its moveable but painless which is apparently an indication of cancer. I have had a terrible past 2 weeks with on and off sore throats and a near constant tension headache for the last 4 days or so. Woke up with another sore throat today.

I can't get an appointment because I didn't properly register here as I thought it would be a waste of time to constantly switch GP from my UNI and home town one.

I feel stuck, like by the time I go back for xmas it will either be gone (great) or advanced to an incureable stage of cancer.

Just want to get this off my chest, I havent felt this utterly scared in years.

beasty340
27-10-17, 19:56
You could possibly have an infection. Maybe a sinus infection since you are still coughing up nasty stuff. It would explain the swollen lymph node (if it really is even swollen). Maybe try to go to a doctor close by, a round of antibiotics might clear up the cough, greenies, and lymph node.

raizorpoke
27-10-17, 21:10
Yeah, this morning I bought up some green stuff.
Its just scary to feel this lump near the back of my neck.
I don't know if anyone else has experiences this, but I legit feel terrified.

tan235
27-10-17, 21:19
Are you sure it's a gland? I have lumps on either side of my neck near my hair line and they are always up - the Dr said it's just cosmetic and part of my body.

But .... I would say you should have glands up! No one can beat the flu in 4 days. I had the flu for 3 weeks, seriously one week of just plain misery and then 4 weeks of a cough that would NOT go away actually 6 weeks ... snotty nose, coughing up green and red mucus, it was horrible but it did leave and your lymph nodes should be up with that kind of crap going on in your body!
They are fighting to help get rid of it - my Dr always says wait for 2 weeks, if it's still up, go and see them ... I normally never adhere to that advice, I'm in my Dr's so much I had to sign a form saying that I'm a high maintenance patient so they could get more funding for me!!!

raizorpoke
27-10-17, 21:28
Its hard to explain where exactly it is, its kind of towards the back of my neck below the hairline along that neck muscle. It is under the skin and rolls around if I move it side to side.

I have had a cough a while so I suppose that is more likely. It is so scary to find a lump especially as this one is painless which they say is a cancer symptom.

smoothie
27-10-17, 21:34
My god, im in the exact same boat as you! Caught a nasty sinus infection in the first few weeks of uni, my face hurt for a few days, my nose felt as if id snorted ash and it felt like i had swallowed sandpaper. But then it went away and i was left with what felt like my brain draining out through my nose. :shrug: Now i just have near constant headaches.

I have wiggly painless neck lumps too. One in my left neck and my collarbones feel kinda lumpy too. I also seem to be lumpier in the right side of my jaw. These might just be fat deposits or gristle but im still kind of worried.

I'm sorry i cant be of much help. Let's get through this together as anxious uni students! :yesyes:

raizorpoke
27-10-17, 22:21
Smoothie, the fact that we have very simmilar accounts is some what soothing to be honest. It has calmed my nerves a lot. I have had these constant headaches for about 4 days now but they are like tension or sinus related.

The lump has made my brain kick into lymphoma overdrive sadly :(

raizorpoke
28-10-17, 04:21
Im also wondering if the sudden spike in alcohol consumption has something to do with it, I never used to drink but since I have been here I have been drinking every week.

Im legit scared.

raizorpoke
28-10-17, 18:31
Just an update, I literally can't get an appointment with the uni doctors office until 11th Dec which is the time im going back home. So now im a wreck because if this IS lymphoma its going to have basically 2 months to grow.
Plus someone said I looked ill today which has lowkey sent me spiraling.

raizorpoke
29-10-17, 13:43
Another update, it's still there. Moveable still hasnt gone down much. Really scared - going to try and see if there is any GPs directly on campus I can register with once I get the details from my old one.

Still have a sore throat but not as bad. Nose is blocked still. Has been for like 4 weeks now.

Ellient
29-10-17, 14:48
How big is the lymph node and how long have you had it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raizorpoke
29-10-17, 15:16
I noticed the node 3 days ago (so I could have had it before) it is also about the size of a bean, no bigger. I can't feel any node anywhere else . It isnt visible from the outside, only if i feel it.

It does not hurt and moves side to side.

Fishmanpa
29-10-17, 15:20
I noticed the node 3 days ago (so I could have had it before) it is also about the size of a bean, no bigger. I can't feel any node anywhere else . It isnt visible from the outside, only if i feel it.

It does not hurt and moves side to side.

That's not considered a "swollen" node! Give yourself a rest :)

Positive thoughts

raizorpoke
29-10-17, 15:23
I assumed it was swollen as I havent't ever felt it before in my life. It is also not on the other side - I saw that a painless node is a potential for cancer as well which has gotten me all in a fluster :L

Ellient
29-10-17, 16:04
I have nodes all over my neck some are big some are small I've always been that way, nodes go down after 3 weeks after 3 days I don't think you can even worry about cancer.

Don't prod it. I made this mistake when I had mine a couple years ago and it is now permanently enlarged and it feels horrible

Thelegend27
30-10-17, 07:08
i'm not sure if the nodes in this area actually drain the areas you say were affected by your cold or flu, i've heard they drain the scalp area, i could be wrong. however if you've seen a doctor you kinda have to take his word for it, i mean after all they know best, i too have the lymph node scare and i try so hard to accept the docs word, but it gets hard some times. just keep an eye on it, see if it grows, until then relax.

raizorpoke
30-10-17, 08:03
Now I'm terrified because my scalp is fine. Just my sore throat that I've had 5 days. If it's unrelated then...

Ellient
30-10-17, 09:00
Thelegend I appreciate you was trying to help this person but telling them that is only going to make the health anxiety worse.

No one knows which lymph node drains what and sometimes small lymph nodes are palpable which doesn't mean swollen so either way it doesn't matter, it is more than likely to do with your sore throat and will return to normal size soon if you leave it alone - but lymph nodes at 1cm are not enlarged.

raizorpoke
30-10-17, 15:23
I had to register with my uni doctor which has now un-registered me from my home one... On top of that I have to wait a minimum of 48 hours just to book an apptmt and when I do that who knowshow long ill have to wait.

If this is strep throat and I develop rhumatic fever from it I will not be happy.

chl035991
30-10-17, 21:42
I went to the doctors for a lymph node which i assumed was sinister in my neck a couple of days ago. She told me there are lots of lymph nodes in the neck which can be felt especially if you are of slim build :) put my mind at rest.

raizorpoke
30-10-17, 23:26
Im not really that slim though. Im quite stocky, I go gym a good amount and lift weights. Though I havent gone last week or this week so far due to my health anxiety.

Ellient
31-10-17, 00:01
You have to remember muscle in your neck can make these more prominent when swollen also :)

Fishmanpa
31-10-17, 00:07
You have to remember muscle in your neck can make these more prominent when swollen also :)

Possible if they're clinically swollen. What the OP described is not swollen and may not even be a node IMO.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
31-10-17, 04:01
Weren’t you the person with that weird canker sore thing in your mouth? Whatever happened with that?

raizorpoke
01-11-17, 15:14
Oh hi Antsy, yes I remember - it was like a red patch. That just kind of went away. That whole dibacle had me in tears as well lol. ALSO UPDATE: Went to a walk in center and he basically said it looks like I have a self limiting sore throat and standard infection. Lymph nodes he said were related to that. Basically what the people on here said, but I was convinced that at the least I had strep but he seemed pretty nice so im going to take what he said and roll with it.

I feel so deflated/tired though, probably the constant anxiety and adrenaline leaving my body.

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

That being said, I thought he would have looked more into it as im pretty sure its unusual to have just a cold for going on 2 weeks now.

Fishmanpa
01-11-17, 15:50
That being said, I thought he would have looked more into it as im pretty sure its unusual to have just a cold for going on 2 weeks now.

It takes a week to catch a cold, a week to have it and a week to get rid of it. Sometimes longer.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
01-11-17, 15:53
Learn from the mouth insanity...don’t do that to yourself again.