PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics

Duchesskitty
27-10-17, 21:45
Hi all, just wanted a bit of advice about something. I have had a UTI recently and have now been put on Keflex to get rid of it. I was on nitrofurontoin but this doesn’t seem to be working. I had one a few weeks ago and had both nitrofurontonin and trimethoprim- the latter of which worked. (No side effects)
I have had Keflex before with no issues but today while reading the leaflet, I saw that hallucinations are a possible side effect. Ever since reading this, I am in a panic thinking that I may be/might hallucinate. I keep looking at things and worrying that they might look weird and feel very odd; though this is more akin to derealisation than anything else. I started to panic when I looked at my partner because one of his eyes looked bigger/more open than the other! When I told him this, he laughed and said that it usually is if he is tired and looked at himself, confirming this was not in my mind.
I suppose what I’m asking is whether this is probably all in my head and I’m just extremely anxious! I am not allergic to anything as far as I know and have never had issues with antibiotics before.

JoeCanuck
28-10-17, 04:39
I've been on Keflex several times and never had any hallucinations, though I'm not sure that it would be a bad experience considering that you know if you have one now that it's from the meds.

Also, hallucinations can take on a ton of forms. Most likely the ones that the meds have a side effect are silly like hearing weird noises or seeing weird lights or something.

Duchesskitty
28-10-17, 15:39
Thanks for the reply. I’m sure it’s more a case of me reading about a potential side effect and doing the old HA thing of thinking “I’ve got that/what if I get that!” The daft thing is that I’ve had this antibiotic before and had no issues other than a bit of tiredness; but in the context of a UTI which usually makes you feel spacey, tired and anxious!!
I wonder how many of the side effects on these things are actually more to do with the illness than the medication?!