PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node anxiety

Angler88
28-10-17, 13:22
Hi all.

A couple of years ago I felt a lymph node in my arm near my elbow, the doctors sent me for an ultrasound to check it out and they confirmed that it was a node and it measured 0.89cm. I heard no more about it from my gp.

2 weeks ago I went to the doctors about a pain in my neck and they did physical check on the nodes in my neck armpit and groin and said all seem fine. But then my gp said I should have returned 3 months after my ultrasound for another one to check it out but I was never told. So he sent me for another one 2 days ago. I went and had it done and was told it is now at 0.92cm but thet couldn't say anymore as they are needing to compare with my scan from 2 years ago.

My gp said I was being sent back so it can be marked as complete on my record but as you can imagine my anxiety has hit the roof! Im now thinking I have lymphoma etc. I should get my results monday.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Angler88

Fishmanpa
28-10-17, 14:55
.89 to .92 over the course of a couple of years is not significant. I personally wouldn't consider that "uncontrolled growth" associated with cancer. Let us know how you make out.

Positive thoughts

Angler88
29-10-17, 14:32
Thank you for the reply. Iv been trying to rationalize and think more positive. I checked the symptoms of lymphoma online a couple of days ago, I dont actually have any symptoms other that the node itself and thats under 1cm and like you said its not exactly a huge change in 2 years. It probably doesnt help that I keep poking and prodding it either. Its firm and moveable so hopefully thats a good sign.

Murdock
29-10-17, 14:51
If it helps, in a module I teach students in college we look at the lymphatic system. I always show the kids loacations of lymph nodes and every year I always get a handful of students who can always feel the ones in their neck and they’re all absolutely fine. :)

Angler88
29-10-17, 15:47
Hi Murdock

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah iv felt the ones on my neck and my doctor did to, said they were all fine a couple of weeks ago. Its just the one in my arm near the elbow I can feel. I get my results tomorrow so hopefully they will come back clear. Its hard not to prod and poke when you know there there lol.

Murdock
29-10-17, 15:59
I know what you mean. I had one under my ear which I could suddenly feel. Obviously having HA I couldn’t just take the advice I’d just given you and instead convinced myself I had HIV (I didn’t) and it went away when I quit poking at it :blush:

Thelegend27
30-10-17, 07:04
i agree with fish, thats not much of a change given all the time it has had to grow, i'm not saying ignore it, but you shold def find some comfort in the fact that it hasn't really grow much in all that time. i have a 1.9 cm node and it hasnt changed in the past year, i find comfort in that, but i also still worry from time to time, i guess it's natural for us to worry i mean we have been taught all our lives to watch out for lumps. just ride it out and see what the doc says, it'll probably be nothing at all since it is small, i've read many places that nodes less than 2 cm are not even significant enough for doctors to go to the extreme over.

Angler88
30-10-17, 19:58
Hey thanks for the reply.

I keep telling myself that to bring my anxiety levels down. I keep thinking surely in two years it would have grown a lot more and if it was something more serious I would maybe be experiencing more symptoms.

I had ultrasound Thursday and they said results would be ready today but I called and they said it could take two weeks. Doesnt help the anxiety but I am also telling myself no news is good news. I started prodding at the nodes in my neck earlier, im trying to distract myself from doing that too now. Its one thing after another with HA isnt it.

Angler88
03-11-17, 02:19
Hi

Just a update. I went to the doctors today for my results, the say the node hasn't changed at all since 2 years ago so they are not concerned about it at all. My doctor even contacted a heamatherapist and they are not concerned either. So im now going to stop poking myself etc and look forward to my cbt later in the month. My anxiety has been very hard this time around, my doctor even checked all my neck, arm pit and stomach for nodes and he said all ok. I said I can feel 2 symmetrical nodes either side of my windpipe and he felt them and said all seems fine. It doesnt help I keep prodding and poking them that probably makes them feel worse!.

Thanks for all the support and comments everyone it really does help.

Thanks again.

Angler 88

Angler88
17-11-17, 14:04
Sorry for bringing this up again but just need to talk to someone.

Although as I posted before, there was no significant change in the lymph node in my arm that iv had for 2 years went from 0.89cm to 0.92, and the doctor said they are not overly concerned, why cant I shift this fear of Lymphoma out of my mind?

2 years is a long time and I would of thought if I had something untoward some sort of symptoms would have shown by now? What's your thoughts on this guys and girls?

I have my first CBT over the phone on Thursday next week which I cant wait to get started.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Angler88

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Angler88
18-11-17, 00:47
Anyone?

Angler88
19-11-17, 19:11
Sorry for bringing this up again but just need to talk to someone.

Although as I posted before, there was no significant change in the lymph node in my arm that iv had for 2 years went from 0.89cm to 0.92, and the doctor said they are not overly concerned, why cant I shift this fear of Lymphoma out of my mind?

2 years is a long time and I would of thought if I had something untoward some sort of symptoms would have shown by now? What's your thoughts on this guys and girls?

I have my first CBT over the phone on Thursday next week which I cant wait to get started.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Angler88

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Fishmanpa
19-11-17, 19:40
From three weeks ago....

.89 to .92 over the course of a couple of years is not significant. I personally wouldn't consider that "uncontrolled growth" associated with cancer.

Your follow up on 11-2

I went to the doctors today for my results, the say the node hasn't changed at all since 2 years ago so they are not concerned about it at all. My doctor even contacted a heamatherapist and they are not concerned either. So im now going to stop poking myself etc and look forward to my cbt later in the month.

Positive thoughts

Angler88
19-11-17, 20:09
Thanks for the reply fishmanpa.

I think that its certainly apparent that I'm in need of cbt!

When I got my results I said, oh is that it and my doc said yes. He then said if you do experience anything like drenching night sweats or weight loss then obviously come back.

I think I've probably taken that the wrong way and thinking why would they say that if there not concerned?

I didn't mention this on previous posts and I probably should have.

Thanks

Angler 88

Fishmanpa
19-11-17, 20:16
I think that its certainly apparent that I'm in need of cbt!

Why not download the FREE CBT course in my signature and help yourself in the mean time? ;)

Positive thoughts