PDA

View Full Version : Carbon monoxide from gas oven??

Roosterruby
29-10-17, 02:50
Hi there, everybody!
I recently moved into a place with a gas oven. 2 of the burners work fine (and I don't use the two that dont) but the oven has never been able to heat up! I've tried to turn it on a couple times but it just won't heat. I tried today for about 10
minutes, but when
I opened the oven, it was still cold. While it was on, I think I smelled some faint gas. I'm worried that I let monoxide into the house!' I'm worried that I will die if I sleep here tonight, from the monoxide I may have released trying the oven!' Does this worry seem reasonable? Thank you guys so much for reading this.

Lucinda07
29-10-17, 10:08
Make sure the oven has been turned off properly. It seems a useless piece of equipment! only 2 burners work.
Get a carbon monoxide alarm for the kitchen. If you are in rented accommodation ask for a replacement cooker. You need to be able to bake/cook a roast dinner in the oven.

Magic
29-10-17, 14:37
I agree with Lucinda. We were advised to get a carbon monoxide alarm even though our gas cooker was new last year.

JoeCanuck
29-10-17, 15:45
Natural gas/Propane/whatever your stove uses doesn't magically turn into Carbon Monoxide without first being burned.

That being said, and as others have pointed out, if two of the burners aren't working you should shut off the gas to the stove and get it serviced. A properly maintained gas burning stove won't produce carbon monoxide, and even if it does, it should be properly ventilated which will remove and carbon monoxide produced.

As for your risk of CO poisoning, if you haven't used the oven/stove since noticing the gas smell, you're fine. I just wouldn't use the stove again until you get it serviced or replaced.

Danny88
03-11-17, 23:02
Just remember you can't smell carbon monoxide

JoeCanuck
04-11-17, 00:11
Just remember you can't smell carbon monoxide

A very important thing to remember.