PDA

View Full Version : The plague....

cyberchondriac.
01-11-17, 06:58
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, I've just read that the plague is spreading pretty quickly in Africa and surrounding areas.

This one is airbourn, so what can I/anyone do to reduce our risks?!

Anyone know if it's just scare tactics by the media? :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-17, 09:25
Arm yourself with information is the first thing. Such as, they have 500 cases of the plague reported on average every year in Madagascar because it's endemic to the region.

This one is getting more coverage because it's spreading quicker because it's pneumonic and causing more casualties. WHO are all over it and reviewing their press releases, without the various UK media sensationalising it, will explain the risks which in the case of a spread to Europe is low.

Unless you are planning a trip to where WHO say there are risks, there is no risk.

beasty340
01-11-17, 14:08
This sounds familiar to the media and Ebola.

snowflake293
01-11-17, 18:39
I get frightened by things like this. The Ebola crisis sent me over the edge especially the posters and 'Ebola kits' in medical centres. It is so easy to get drawn into articles and stories in the media (see my recent post about an article I read today!) the thing is though, the threat is so minimal unless you are actually travelling there.

I know how real these worries are though and it is good that you can talk about your fears. Talking though it all is good.