PDA

View Full Version : Guardian article has triggered my HA over stomach c-word fears

snowflake293
01-11-17, 16:48
I was doing ok today... then scrolling down my Facebook feed on my phone I see a stupid article saying that a study has been done into people who take PPIs (proton pump inhibitors) for acid reflux long term are twice as likely to get stomach c-word. Well I have been on x2 20mg Omeprazole for over 10 years so I am full on freaking out.

My acid has been LOADS worse lately (although I do think that was from Turmeric supplements which I have since stopped) and I have been having weird tummy aches.

I am so fragile emotionally at the moment that I feel like I can't take any more 'episodes' of anxiety. I am seeing the Dr on Thursday about my boob issue and about my stomach pain/acid.

I am so scared of any kind of tests. I am terrified they will want to put a camera down and I am more terrified of what they could find down there! My Mom also suffers with stomach acid and a suspected hiatus hernia (according to her, I dont think she has been actually diagnosed with one) and she is on a PPI as well, Lanzoprazole I think.

My ribs have been sore and achy lately but I have been really anxious so it could be that.

What worries me most though is I used to drink a LOT and recently I dont feel like drinking. Part of it as cause I came off Sertraline (although I am back on it now) and the rest of it is cause I can feel my stomach acid and I dont want to make it worse and I am so scared of damaging myself in any way!

Seeing my GP tomorrow then got an assessment for some therapy next week.

Just had enough of all this now. I have had 10mg diazepam today (the last of it as well an they will not give me anymore) and I am still totally freaking out and panicking.

I wouldn't wish HA on my worst enemy.

beasty340
01-11-17, 17:09
I just read the article. This study was done in Hong Kong and was an observational study, so it cannot determine cause and effect. It also was done after H. pylori was found and the patients were given PPIs. Sure, we probably should not be taking PPIs long-term, but we also do not want acid creeping into our esophagus and giving us esophageal cancer. BUT, this is one study done that does not even show a cause and effect between the two. I have only been able to find one other study that supported the finding.

The FDA followed up on these findings and found that this has geographical bias because of the specific risks of the Asian population and gastric cancer. Also, they followed people who had a H. Pylori infection which has been known to increase your risk of gastric cancer. They also did not take into account other variables that could cause gastric cancer like, obesity, diet, smoking, alcohol use, etc.

I would not worry just because one study has shown this, the FDA and many doctors find the good to outweigh the bad.

snowflake293
01-11-17, 17:13
Thanks for your reply. I sent my poor old hubby a message (he's at work) and he said he read the article and he didn't think it was anything too concerning.

I feel really funny about taking PPIs... I saw an Osteopath earlier this year who told me they are evil and are depleting my body of vitamins and minerals so I stopped taking them and the acid got awful so went back on them.

My GP seems to think it is fine for me to be on them for this long, as I say, over a decade now possibly longer.

I am so frightened of having acid. I am worried it is going to cause a bigger problem if I don't have it already. I have just had the worst week ever and have had enough of all this nonsense now. My silly brain.

ServerError
01-11-17, 18:54
Even with my all my progress and rationality, this one got to me a little as well. Perhaps not as much as it did you, but it certainly gave me food for thought. I plan to raise it with my GP, but I'm sure he'll essentially tell me it's up to me the extent to which I place significance in this study and whether I think the increased risk is worth taking for much needed acid relief.

I saw a comment on the Guardian article about the study by somebody saying that living a life in the here and now without crippling reflux is worth living with the elevated risk. I think that's how I may feel. Until I've spoken to my doctor, I decided I'm not going to give it another thought and will just keep taking them.

poppy77
01-11-17, 20:30
Me too. I have pretty much got my health anxiety under control too but this article worried me too. I'm on 20mg of Esomeprazole (Nexium) a day. I started PPIs in January 2015 and was on a double dose for about a year to get in control of my reflux. I've been diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia. I've got my dose down to 20mg a day since May and am hoping to reduce even further and possibly come off.

My problem with articles like this is - what options are that for those of us with acid reflux especially those of us who have an anatomical reason for it? Doctors won't operate as my hernia is small and my reflux is 'not that bad.' Ranitidine doesn't control it. So options are to do nothing and risk acid in the oesophegus or take the PPI which they are now alleging causes other stuff.

On the other hand, reading the article, risks do still seem low. Plus, who was the sample study? Statistically (although, obviously not always), stomach cancer is more common in older people. Also, many people who have hpylori are treated with PPIs and hpylori is a risk factor for stomach cancer, so how many in the sample study had hpylori?

I think more studies into this need to be done. PLUS, they need more studies into medicines and surgeries for those with acid reflux. Things like the LINX procedure may be the future.

snowflake293
02-11-17, 09:12
I am frightened because I don't know the 'reason' for my acid reflux. I was bulimic from 15 'til my late 20s on and off (had periods of it getting better, sometimes for years) I am 33 now and pretty much recovered. I think it is that which caused my reflux.

My Mom also had reflux, not sure if that is related? (she has never been bulimic)

I have never had a camera down or anything like that, but I saw a dr once who said something along the lines of it could be the sphincter muscle opening that is loose which is why I get the reflux.

That article has really worried me, but I guess you have to weight it up - this is just one study isn't it? If it was THAT bad they would have pulled the drug years ago as it is so commonly prescribed.

The sensation I get is more on the right hand side, almost like a popping sensation if I press hard under my ribs and sometimes I feel a strange sensation when I bend over, especially if I just ate. It could be a hiatus hernia I guess. I have gained 2 stone and since I gained weight the acid and the weird popping feeling got worse.

Anyway, long and short of it is that I am seeing a doctor this afternoon about two things (my boob thing) and this stomach thing. I am trying my best to rationalise and think to myself, the very worse that will happen today is they will want to do more tests. I hate tests, but they are a reality and I need to expose myself to my fears I reckon.

poppy77
02-11-17, 10:19
Good luck Snowflake. If it is a hiatus hernia, don't worry, they are very common. I think they say around 60% of people aged 50 and above have a hiatus hernia if some degree, a lot are asymptomatic. A lot under 40 probably have one as well, especially if you've had babies or done a lot of exercise affecting your abs like weights. Under 40s tend just to get shoved on ppis without diagnostic tests hence why they don't have a percentage figure under 50.

snowflake293
02-11-17, 10:44
Good luck Snowflake. If it is a hiatus hernia, don't worry, they are very common. I think they say around 60% of people aged 50 and above have a hiatus hernia if some degree, a lot are asymptomatic. A lot under 40 probably have one as well, especially if you've had babies or done a lot of exercise affecting your abs like weights. Under 40s tend just to get shoved on ppis without diagnostic tests hence why they don't have a percentage figure under 50.

Thanks Poppy. I think it could be related to being bulimic for so many years. I am anxious about being on the PPIs having read that article, BUT I will trust whatever my GP suggests over that.

I haven't had babies yet (lost one in June sadly at 9 weeks) but I did used to do an awful lot of swimming, doubt this could cause it though. My Mom reckons she has a hiatus hernia and says she can feel it pop out. She said hers got better when she lost some weight. My BMI is 30 so I could definitely do with shifting a few stone!

I do wonder if they will suggest I go for tests. This makes me very anxious but if they do suggest tests I will just get on with it as I need to address my fears.

xx

pulisa
02-11-17, 12:56
I've had 2 endoscopies and didn't remember a thing with both because I had the maximum sedation. I have a really bad gag reflex so it helped everyone to have the sedation.

I would have thought your weight gain would play a big part in the reflux but I appreciate that you have had bulimia in the past so weight will be a very sensitive issue. It won't have helped with acid problems at the time but I would say that the extra weight will have put more of a strain on your sphincter muscle. I don't think that there is any surgical treatment even if you have a hiatus hernia anyway especially at your age?

Can you look at reducing the amount of acid-producing food you eat/ leaving 3 hours before you go to bed after your last meal/sleeping with more pillows so you are not lying flat?

Good luck with your GP. I hope you don't need tests and that there will be practical solutions and a straightforward explanation for both your issues xx

snowflake293
02-11-17, 13:42
I've had 2 endoscopies and didn't remember a thing with both because I had the maximum sedation. I have a really bad gag reflex so it helped everyone to have the sedation.

I would have thought your weight gain would play a big part in the reflux but I appreciate that you have had bulimia in the past so weight will be a very sensitive issue. It won't have helped with acid problems at the time but I would say that the extra weight will have put more of a strain on your sphincter muscle. I don't think that there is any surgical treatment even if you have a hiatus hernia anyway especially at your age?

Can you look at reducing the amount of acid-producing food you eat/ leaving 3 hours before you go to bed after your last meal/sleeping with more pillows so you are not lying flat?

Good luck with your GP. I hope you don't need tests and that there will be practical solutions and a straightforward explanation for both your issues xx

Thanks Pulisa xx I am so nervous at the moment, my stomach is churning and I just feel so tired. My appointment is in an hour and a half.

I think what makes is worse is me and hubby eat our dinner on the sofa and I curl up in the corner putting more pressure on my right. I think we will start to be more civilized and eat at the table from now on.

I do eat a lot of acid-producing food and I love coffee, although at the moment I am steering clear of anything that sets my acid off. My stomach feels constantly inflammed. I just had a glass of water and I could feel it wash round my tummy. Maybe I have gastritis, perhaps stress bought it on?

I have written down everything I need to talk to the GP about and will give them the note if needs be cause I usually end up in tears.

I hate all this.

darkside4k
02-11-17, 13:43
Literally tons of people have reflux. It doesn't mean they all get cancer.

snowflake293
02-11-17, 13:45
Oh and I am also paranoid about liver/gall bladder cause the pain I get is on my right hand side. I am worried he will want to examine me and will say my liver is enlarged or he can feel a mass :( can really feel myself spiraling but I am going to push through this!

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

Literally tons of people have reflux. It doesn't mean they all get cancer.

My post was originally about an article I read linking acid reflux medication to the c-word.

pulisa
02-11-17, 14:03
It's not long until your appointment now. Good idea to take in that list. Try to stop yourself speculating on what he will do or tell you. You just don't know and trying to guess will just make your anxiety and symptoms worse (you know this of course) xx

snowflake293
02-11-17, 14:07
It's not long until your appointment now. Good idea to take in that list. Try to stop yourself speculating on what he will do or tell you. You just don't know and trying to guess will just make your anxiety and symptoms worse (you know this of course) xx

I think deep down, I know I am ok. I got over my health anxiety, but when I feared I would lose my baby then it happened (exactly as I played the fear out in my head) is has challenged all that now and I feel like I am slipping back into the grips of it.

I have a Healthy Minds appointment next week so hopefully I can start having some CBT again soon. I started back on 100mg Sertraline so that will help too.

I am so anxious right now I feel dizzy and sick. I wish my husband could come with me (he normally comes to all my medical appointments cause I panic) but today I am going on my own cause I want to get through this and get better.

If I can go today and not have a melt down it will really be something!

Just praying so hard for NO tests, NO referrals and NO further investigations!

All I want is a diazepam and a duvet right now(!)

pulisa
02-11-17, 14:19
You will feel much better if you go to this appointment by yourself and cope with it as I know you will. It will make you feel stronger and more in control and you won't feel you need to keep relying on someone else. You need to get some confidence back which has been significantly knocked recently. The worst bit is the waiting.

snowflake293
02-11-17, 14:21
You will feel much better if you go to this appointment by yourself and cope with it as I know you will. It will make you feel stronger and more in control and you won't feel you need to keep relying on someone else. You need to get some confidence back which has been significantly knocked recently. The worst bit is the waiting.

Thank you. The waiting is horrible and it's the bit I probably struggle with the most. Thanks for being so kind xx

pulisa
02-11-17, 14:23
I really hope the appointment goes well and that you don't need tests. Please let us know how you get on. Just be honest and tell him everything. It will help to get it all out:hugs:

snowflake293
02-11-17, 16:05
I really hope the appointment goes well and that you don't need tests. Please let us know how you get on. Just be honest and tell him everything. It will help to get it all out:hugs:

Thanks so much. I will definitely tell him everything, got it all written down :)

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Well I went and all is ok :)

I told him my symptoms and he said its reflux and to remember to take my Omeprazole before bed as well as in the morning. He examined my stomach and said everything feels ok.

He said the boob thing is hormones and not to worry :)

I practised some 'mindfulness' in the waiting room and did some deep breaths and it really helped me though! For the first time in ages there were no tears or panic. I felt very nervous but that was about it!

Going to look after my tummy and sit up after I eat now rather than slump on the sofa!

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

oh and he was very dismissive about that guardian article. I am trusting him more than the article I think.

pulisa
02-11-17, 17:35
Am so pleased for you and really well done!! You should be very proud of yourself!

That Guardian article is just scaremongering sh*te. Trust your GP not journalists with a story to sell!

Now have a relaxing evening!:hugs:xx

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-17, 17:41
If it helps here's an instant way to dismiss the article... The Daily Mail ran it too :winks:

Well done. Getting to & through that appointment is hard work and you even managed to take control of your anxiety in the process which is a significant achievement when it's hitting you so hard.