PDA

View Full Version : Scared about “hair salon stroke”

scaredpt
01-11-17, 20:44
I read an article about getting strokes after the hair salon because of the tilt of the head backwards. I am now scared of this since I just got my haircut, but am I being crazy?

ServerError
01-11-17, 20:49
Where did you read this article? It sounds sensationalist. There may be a theoretical risk involved with holding the head in a certain position for a period of time, I don't know. But how many millions of people go to the salon every single day around the world? Some salons are full of old (sometimes very old) women having their heads tilted this way and that. It's just not worth another thought to be honest.

Fishmanpa
01-11-17, 20:51
am I being crazy?

Yeppers!

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
01-11-17, 20:56
Daily Mail, and was corroborated in scientific literature. Just makes me worried since there’s even a name for this type of stroke

KK77
01-11-17, 20:58
Daily Mail,

Nuff said :lac:

What sort of style did you go for?

scaredpt
01-11-17, 21:06
Tbh I’ve been scared of this so hadn’t gotten a haircut in six months so this was a big thing for me. I just couldn’t deal with my hair getting longer but it looks very cute

KK77
01-11-17, 21:11
but it looks very cute

That's the important thing. Now, it would be a crying shame to let a silly DM article spoil all your effort in actually living your life and taking good care of yourself ;)

ServerError
01-11-17, 21:11
Did you investigate the "scientific literature" yourself? Do you know what the scientific literature was actually saying? I can imagine what the Daily Mail's spin on it would be.

scaredpt
01-11-17, 21:28
Yeah I understand the literature. It’s a very rare thing but the mechanism of the head being laid back dangling puts pressure and can tear the carotid artery in the neck

ServerError
01-11-17, 21:41
I didn't ask if you understood it. I'm not looking to insult your intelligence. I asked if you investigated it and interrogated it. Are you qualified to interpret the results as they apply to you?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just trying to point out that there's much more going on here. As I said, millions of people go to salons around the world every day. The amount of them that have strokes directly attributable to this issue must be vanishingly small.

Ellient
01-11-17, 21:51
I've got my hair cut loads of times and I have had it dyed etc, I don't think you should worry about the daily mail they are also the same people who think chocolate can cause cancer and plastic bottles.

Enjoy getting your hair done it's a treat, plus it's nice to have a change.

KK77
01-11-17, 21:52
Yeah I understand the literature. It’s a very rare thing but the mechanism of the head being laid back dangling puts pressure and can tear the carotid artery in the neck...

....in very rare cases....

scaredpt
01-11-17, 21:55
thanks-I think I have a bit of the "medical student syndrome"--I don''t study medicine but a related science and so sometimes you're right, I understand the biological mechanisms quite well but then can't put it into perspective.

i need to put this out of my mind and distance myself from the anxiety

NancyW
01-11-17, 22:02
I've been in the business for 39 years. There have bern thousands of clients that have come through the door... and thousands of clients that my hairstylist friends and aquaintences have had through their doors, I have never heard anyone having a stroke after being at the salon.

au Lait
02-11-17, 01:34
You just read something that triggered your HA. That's all. No need to worry. :) I've been getting my hair done for years and nothing bad has ever happened to me (aside from the occasional crappy haircut).

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-17, 02:29
Where did you read this article? It sounds sensationalist. There may be a theoretical risk involved with holding the head in a certain position for a period of time, I don't know. But how many millions of people go to the salon every single day around the world? Some salons are full of old (sometimes very old) women having their heads tilted this way and that. It's just not worth another thought to be honest.

Similiar theme here by the OP:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207910&highlight=yoga

OP - are you searching online for these things after you do them? So, looking for any possible risk to worry about or find info stating there is nothing that can happen (reassurance)?

Are you talking about syncope. In children, this can happen when even brushing hair.

Also, I think reflex epilepsy is another occasion where this can happen (as well as other ways to trigger attacks) but this is in those with epilepsy and they are rare triggers.

There is stuff out there about certain manipulations causing these things (it crops up about chiropractors, salons, massages, etc) but it's obviously very rare as everyone says or we would be flooded with cases when you consider how common these activities are.

Any reading you do, which isn't necessarily good anyway with your anxiety battles at the moment, make sure it's credible sources like doctors because there will be the rare stuff out there in the media about these type of things.

Paging GaryA, the man in the know about all things seizure related!

Mrs.Anxiety
02-11-17, 13:46
That article has been floating around for a few years now. I remember reading it before my HA was even a thing. I can tell you that as a short person, I struggle to lay down on those shampoo chairs/beds and I always get a sore neck. The bowls are also not too comfortable (depending on where you go). I've never had anything happen to me other than some mild soreness which you will feel anyways if you are sitting on a chair getting hair done for an hour or so.

pulisa
02-11-17, 13:55
Yes it's old news.

Elen
02-11-17, 15:30
OP - are you searching online for these things after you do them? So, looking for any possible risk to worry about or find info stating there is nothing that can happen (reassurance)?

That was exactly my thought, look for something scary then post for re-assurance.

Are you doing anything to help rationalise these thoughts for yourself?

Some CBT exercises maybe helpful to you.

Fishmanpa
02-11-17, 15:35
That was exactly my thought, look for something scary then post for re-assurance.

Are you doing anything to help rationalise these thoughts for yourself?

Some CBT exercises maybe helpful to you.

The OP stated she's seeing a therapist. My question asking if the therapist knows of this reassurance seeking behavior went unanswered.

Positive thoughts