PDA

View Full Version : Informatuon you wished you never found?

paranoid-viking
02-11-17, 18:18
Anyone who has it like this? That there are information about diseases you wishe you never heard aboutd; I mean; that there was diseases you wished yoou never heard about and that you would cope better with feelings you have without that knowledge? So it is with me. I wished there was a type of cancer I fear that I wished I never ever heard aboout and the knowledge of it has scred me senseless. What about others?

beasty340
02-11-17, 18:24
After a bunch of worrying about my heart and blood work, everything came back normal. Then I had a pain in my lower left abdomen. I did not know what it was, but of course I googled. Two months later and still worrying about colon cancer is not fun.

melfish
02-11-17, 18:44
YES! I rue the day I typed three certain letters into google. I wish I could unknow everything I've subsequently read. I feel like it's going to be impossible to ever live as I did before I knew about it

ServerError
02-11-17, 19:23
Personally, I don't waste time worrying about things I can't change. I've learned a heap in the last couple of years - some of it helpful, some of it decidedly unpleasant. But I can't unlearn it or change the things I've learned. So I'm not going to waste my life preoccupied by it.

Chances are, the things I fear (or used to fear) won't be what gets me anyway.

Jett81013
02-11-17, 19:58
I won't mention the diseases but i wish i never looked up muscle twitching, back pain, and calf pain...aside from the usual stress that you put on your body, there are other underlying conditions with the above symptoms which has led me here and all panicky.

Caseyg89
02-11-17, 20:00
I know I always regret looking up the diagnosis stories for people with the certain types of cancers that I am fearing. I remember so many of the stories that have "symptoms" like I am experiencing and I obsess about them.

paranoid-viking
02-11-17, 21:14
I know I always regret looking up the diagnosis stories for people with the certain types of cancers that I am fearing. I remember so many of the stories that have "symptoms" like I am experiencing and I obsess about them.

Yup, that is my excperience too.

beasty340
02-11-17, 21:29

My god, yes. I am so bad when it comes to this. For some reason, I googled colon cancer in 20s and got all these stories about people with colon cancer at a young age and new stories about the rise of colon cancer in younger people. I don't know what I want to accomplish with this information. It always just makes me feel much worse than I already do.

Caseyg89
02-11-17, 23:28
My god, yes. I am so bad when it comes to this. For some reason, I googled colon cancer in 20s and got all these stories about people with colon cancer at a young age and new stories about the rise of colon cancer in younger people. I don't know what I want to accomplish with this information. It always just makes me feel much worse than I already do.

Oh yes! I can definitely relate. I can remember reading some stories of young, pregnant women being diagnosed with stomach or esophageal cancer and having similar symptoms to what I am experiencing. I also HATE in those stories when they say "doctors didn't believe me because I am too young" or the symptoms are common in pregnancy so they get ignored. The rare stories where tests miss things completely spiral me. Naturally with health anxiety we think that we must be just like those people, even though it's very unlikely.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

Yup, that is my excperience too.

I have realized it's just better to not read them. I have given up reading any diagnosis story or googling and it has helped. Whenever I get the urge, I say outloud, "this is not going to help and I never feel better with reading this information".

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-17, 01:42
YES! I rue the day I typed three certain letters into google. I wish I could unknow everything I've subsequently read. I feel like it's going to be impossible to ever live as I did before I knew about it

N.M.P :ohmy::biggrin:

melfish
03-11-17, 02:05
N.M.P :ohmy::biggrin:
:roflmao:

swajj
03-11-17, 07:34
:wink:I guess you can’t completely forget all those little tidbits of information your brain has stored away. But if you stop reading about terrible illnesses or stories associated with them you put some distance between you and them. That is, the fear you feel starts to fade more and more as time goes by. But you have to completely stop googling. No “I’ll just look up this one symptom because I’ll feel better when I find out is isn’t associated with anything serious”. Usually that symptom is associated with a half dozen serious illnesses, most you never considered. But you will now. :wink:

pulisa
03-11-17, 09:04
Oh yes! I can definitely relate. I can remember reading some stories of young, pregnant women being diagnosed with stomach or esophageal cancer and having similar symptoms to what I am experiencing. I also HATE in those stories when they say "doctors didn't believe me because I am too young" or the symptoms are common in pregnancy so they get ignored. The rare stories where tests miss things completely spiral me. Naturally with health anxiety we think that we must be just like those people, even though it's very unlikely.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:27 ----------

I have realized it's just better to not read them. I have given up reading any diagnosis story or googling and it has helped. Whenever I get the urge, I say outloud, "this is not going to help and I never feel better with reading this information".

That's a huge step, Casey. Keep on saying this because you are so right.

Duchesskitty
03-11-17, 14:28
I can't even begin to tell you what I wish I'd never read/heard about! It's almost like for me, information about diseases etc stick to my brain after even a momentary glance and never leave.
My uncle was in hospital recently and when I went to visit him, there was a poster on the wall about sepsis. I didn't even read the bloody thing and I can still remember what it says. It haunts me.
I suppose its an attention bias thing: we are programmed to subconsciously look for what we fear and as our fear is health, any smidgen of information or warning is there for us to absorb.

MissRobron
03-11-17, 17:19
I wish I had never found out about Interstitional Cystitis because I am convinced I have this and it has ruined my life for over 3 months now.