PDA

View Full Version : Never had chicken pox before

Aimee1875
04-11-17, 14:31
I’m almost in tears at my sisters. It’s my nephews 3rd birthday and no one told me that he potentially has chicken pox. He’s got a few spots so they think he has it and he’s been unwell as well so it’s likely. However my mum thinks I may have had it but she can’t remember and my dad doesn’t think I have. I’m so terrified I get it now! I’m 18 so I hear it can be pretty awful and lead to serious complications. I may have had it unnoticed or immune to it but I’m almost crying here I’m that petrified! My other nephew had it this year as well and I’m sure I was around him at some point and never got it and my mum was babysitting him so she could have also potentially passed it on to me then as well. Has anyone had it in late teens or adulthood? What should I expect if it happens?

Midnight-mouse
04-11-17, 15:21
I’m almost in tears at my sisters. It’s my nephews 3rd birthday and no one told me that he potentially has chicken pox. He’s got a few spots so they think he has it and he’s been unwell as well so it’s likely. However my mum thinks I may have had it but she can’t remember and my dad doesn’t think I have. I’m so terrified I get it now! I’m 18 so I hear it can be pretty awful and lead to serious complications. I may have had it unnoticed or immune to it but I’m almost crying here I’m that petrified! My other nephew had it this year as well and I’m sure I was around him at some point and never got it and my mum was babysitting him so she could have also potentially passed it on to me then as well. Has anyone had it in late teens or adulthood? What should I expect if it happens?

My mum had chicken pox in her 50s even after taking care of me as a child when I had it. It’s annoyingly itchy but she was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jotia
04-11-17, 23:26
I had it when I was 2 and past it onto my dad who was in his twenties at the time, he was fine.

Carnation
04-11-17, 23:31
I had it too as an adult and I was fine.

melfish
05-11-17, 00:15
I had it at 17, no complications. Just highly unpleasant

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-17, 01:27
It’s my nephews 3rd birthday and no one told me that he potentially has chicken pox.

You wouldn't be alone in being annoyed at that!

Mrs.Anxiety
06-11-17, 14:48
Is it possible you were immunized? I'm 27 and never got the chicken pox either. I thought I was immune because I had a varicella shot in my medical record from way back, but when I got a new job, they made me test for immunity. Turns out I was never immune. Whoops. I got the varicella (Varivax) shot (you need to get two a month apart to guarantee immunity) and I was on my merry way. This whole time in my teens and early 20's, I was around kids working at a daycare and I never got it. I think your chances are slim. If you want peace of mind, please get tested to see if you're immune. This test is incredibly common for people like us who never got it, or pregnant moms.

swgrl09
06-11-17, 14:49
I would be annoyed honestly as well!! But luckily chicken pox usually can be predictable. You'll itch for maybe a week and then get over it and be immune.

Nowadays everybody gets immunized in the USA. This started after I had already gotten it though.