PDA

View Full Version : Please someone tell me I'm being crazy

BrokenGirl
04-11-17, 16:31
I realise this is getting ridiculous but HA just won't leave me alone anymore. I was at the doctor last Thursday and she gave me an anitbiotic for a stye on my eyelid. I was looking at it today in the mirror and thought I noticed that my right eye is turned out a little bit more than the left one. I'm looking straight into the mirror but my eyes don't look the same. And I can't stop checking it now. Maybe it's always been this way, I just don't know. And even if I'm right I don't even know if it's a sign of anything. I've googled enough in the past and this "symptom" doesn't ring a bell with me.
I know I'm looking for reassurance here but it's all I have to keep me going in the short term when these thoughts take over. (Starting counselling next Friday)
Am I completely over thinking and over reacting again? Is it even a sign of anything if I am right?

Fishmanpa
04-11-17, 16:57
Am I completely over thinking and over reacting again?

100%

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
04-11-17, 22:56
Thanks for replying, but I can't stop obsessing about this. I'm checking my eyes all day and I definitely think my right one is turned out a bit more than the left one. I'm worried that it's something new and thinking the worst then because I never noticed it before.
Is this a form of ocd, where you can't stop checking something?
Do other people on here get compulsions to check a lot?

ServerError
04-11-17, 23:17

It would be a stretch for any of us to say that this compulsion to check your eyes is a form of OCD. You may have OCD, but we're not qualified to diagnose you. You clearly have an anxiety disorder, though. That is beyond question. I wouldn't get bogged down in whether it's OCD or not. Would that make any difference to you? Your therapy will help bring things into clearer focus in that area, hopefully.

I've heard rumours that this kind of thing goes on around here, but I couldn't believe it until now. :winks:

KK77
05-11-17, 00:05
I've heard rumours that this kind of thing goes on around here, but I couldn't believe it until now. :winks:

Don't be preposterous, SE! I've never heard of such rumours :secret:

swajj
05-11-17, 01:25
If you stare at yourself in the mirror long enough you become unrecognisable to yourself. Many people with HA have experienced this. I’ve been where you are. One thing about HA is that it changes your perception of things. You look at a mole that you have always had and it “seems” to have changed shape or colour. You can’t be sure though so you look at it more and more often to “check”. The more you look the more you think it is different to before. Until you can’t even remember what it used to look like. And do it is with staring at facial features.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

And so it is with staring at facial features

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-17, 01:34
Thanks for replying, but I can't stop obsessing about this. I'm checking my eyes all day and I definitely think my right one is turned out a bit more than the left one. I'm worried that it's something new and thinking the worst then because I never noticed it before.

OCD certainly includes this and it's also one of the disorder groups that can be found under the fictional HA umbrella (HA isn't a medical term so it ends up overlapping various anxiety disorders).

It may even be that your anxiety is OCD already so a pro will want to look at how all your anxiety works before making a diagnosis. OCD traits can be found in many people, including the non anxious, so it's not just about these traits but whether it is affecting your life.

Yours clearly is affecting you but if this is a short lived behaviour then it can just be a trait ramping up without being enough for a diagnosis and existing anxiety disorders may remain the diagnosis. It's worth asking your GP about it (and counsellor will be the best person to ask).