PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot fears

Librella
04-11-17, 18:49
I got my flu shot this year as I do every year. Before I did, I ran across a blog post on the Internet about a woman who got a shoulder injury after the doctor put the needle in the wrong spot. I was scared that would happen to me, but the shot was painless and it doesn't feel too sore this morning. However, then I started to get a muscle twitch in my shoulder where I had the shot. Is this normal? I made the mistake of googling it and found a lot of horror stories of people who developed muscle twitches after the shot and then developed horrible neurological disorders that lasted for years. Now I'm super nervous again.

Have you ever had this happen with a flu shot? Also how do I convince myself to stop googling this stuff, I KNOW I shouldn't and yet my fingers seem to have a mind of their own in the search box.

Librella
05-11-17, 17:27
Anyone? It's still twitching today and it's been 2 days.

Midnight-mouse
05-11-17, 21:35
I would guess that you are hyper focused on the area, I do it with things like a mole on my back and I convince myself it’s itching, but in reality where it itches is no where near. Also with my eyelid on my right eye, it will twitch for days! It’s the most infuriating thing if I’m honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Librella
05-11-17, 23:34
You're probably right, especially since I was thinking about it so much before the shot. And I've had benign twitches before. Just wish I could accept that!

Midnight-mouse
06-11-17, 00:50
You're probably right, especially since I was thinking about it so much before the shot. And I've had benign twitches before. Just wish I could accept that!

The only way you will accept it is by doing so unfortunately. Acknowledge the thought and let it pass right on by, i like to imagine waving at it or giving the thought a good sharp kick up the backside as it leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-17, 02:25
I've had these shots for years as I have asthma so I'm on the at risk list the NHS have. Some years I've had a bit of muscle ache because the needle is damaging the tissue slighty as needles often do but some years I've felt nothing afterwards.

At last year's the nurse asked me which side I slept on because of the potential for bruising. That must mean it's common if the nurse is asking her patients.

I'm sure you will be fine. Like MM said it's likely some elevated anxiety & focus. Give it a few days.

These shots are done by the billons every year. If there were a load of problems with them you wouldn't need to do much searching as the internet would be plastered with them. :winks:

swgrl09
06-11-17, 13:10
I get flu shots every year too. I also get allergy shots every few weeks and have for 3 years now. Sometimes my muscles get sore or twitchy after depending on what nurse did it or what position my arm was in. Sometimes they don't. I think it's just something that happens because of the nature of how shots are administered.