PDA

View Full Version : Strange pain in neck, worrying about blot clots!

snowflake293
05-11-17, 09:52
About a year ago I had this strange stabbing pain in my neck, felt like it was coming from the inside and radiating up towards my head. It only lasts a few seconds and it isnt severe pain.

I get really bad shoulder/neck tension - like, really bad knots and I have to have regular massages to help it! Could it be linked to my shoulder tension maybe?

Anyway since my anxiety has got bad again I have noticed this pain again. It comes and goes and yesterday I had it with a bit of chest pain too. I dont get any other symptoms with it, just the pain and I can go for months and months without having it.

I am too scared to go to the dr about it in case they send me for tests. I am so scared that it is something terrible and it will suddenly kill me!

Has anyone had this as a symptom of anxiety? Can shoulder tension cause these pains? I am so frightened and desperately don't want to see a GP about it.

swgrl09
05-11-17, 13:13
As somebody with both bad anxiety and bad shoulder and neck knots, I have experienced this a lot. I've suffered with a bad neck/shoulders for about 7 or 8 years now and sadly I am just used to feeling weird and strange pains here and there at this point. It used to really scare me though. But I notice when I get the neck tension down, the pains lessen.

I mean I can't diagnose you, but it sounds like similar to what I am going through. I get massages when I can afford it, otherwise have my husband try to massage them out. I also find ice really helpful in reducing the inflammation and stretching with some yoga.

Your muscles are attached to each other so that can include muscles inside your neck, up in your head, etc. I sometimes have pain when I swallow when my neck gets really bad and sought the doctor over it, but she saw nothing wrong. I've had stabbing pains, head pains, chest pains, etc. They are all connected for me.

snowflake293
05-11-17, 14:30
As somebody with both bad anxiety and bad shoulder and neck knots, I have experienced this a lot. I've suffered with a bad neck/shoulders for about 7 or 8 years now and sadly I am just used to feeling weird and strange pains here and there at this point. It used to really scare me though. But I notice when I get the neck tension down, the pains lessen.

I mean I can't diagnose you, but it sounds like similar to what I am going through. I get massages when I can afford it, otherwise have my husband try to massage them out. I also find ice really helpful in reducing the inflammation and stretching with some yoga.

Your muscles are attached to each other so that can include muscles inside your neck, up in your head, etc. I sometimes have pain when I swallow when my neck gets really bad and sought the doctor over it, but she saw nothing wrong. I've had stabbing pains, head pains, chest pains, etc. They are all connected for me.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like what you experience is really similar to what I have. It just frightens me sometimes when I feel 'new' sensations or pains.

It definitely gets worse when I am stressed out. I worry about it being angina or something like that, but I am only 33! I find deep tissue massages are really good and my husband bought me one of those massage pillows and that helps.

I think when we are anxious we 'hold' a lot of it in our chest, shoulders and neck without realising how tense we are making ourselves.

My back is always hurting, and the knots I get are so bad - like it all forms one big knot.

I have put weight on lately and haven't looked after my body, I am going to start swimming and going to yoga again I think as that really does help.

swgrl09
05-11-17, 14:32
Yep, sounds like we are dealing with a lot of similar issues!! I have a "back buddy" - it's a scary looking tool but you can reach the knots in your back and get pretty good leverage to massage them out. It can be painful but not worse than a deep tissue massage, and you have control over the pressure. I find it helps me get the ones near and under the shoulder blades that are tough to reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Companys-Trigger-Therapy/dp/B0006VJ6TO?th=1

I think I'm allowed to post a link to it!

snowflake293
05-11-17, 14:34
Yep, sounds like we are dealing with a lot of similar issues!! I have a "back buddy" - it's a scary looking tool but you can reach the knots in your back and get pretty good leverage to massage them out. It can be painful but not worse than a deep tissue massage, and you have control over the pressure. I find it helps me get the ones near and under the shoulder blades that are tough to reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Companys-Trigger-Therapy/dp/B0006VJ6TO?th=1

I think I'm allowed to post a link to it!

I have something very similar called a back knobber! It really helps but hurts when I use it. Feels good after though, but it is almost impossible to shift my back knots. I am my own worse enemy though I sleep in a ball and I am always hunched over a phone or laptop! xx

swgrl09
06-11-17, 12:49
Ugh I know! It's so good but hurts too! It doesn't fix it, but sometimes can give me a little relief.

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-17, 01:36
I have something very similar called a back knobber! It really helps but hurts when I use it. Feels good after though, but it is almost impossible to shift my back knots. I am my own worse enemy though I sleep in a ball and I am always hunched over a phone or laptop! xx

Sounds like something you would buy off Ann Summers. :blush::winks:

I get spasms in my lower back when anxious sometimes. The worst though was neck spasms, they had me grimacing & jerking my head as they were intense and kept me awake half the night. They took weeks to go and you would know if you had them as they were painful.

I often think anxiety brings a load of nerve type issues with it.

SarahCap
08-11-17, 13:15
I get this too, its worse when its hot weather or im warm such as hoovering etc. ice pack helps a lot or cold drinks bottle if I am out and about, I have had it years just comes and goes... I still panic when it happens especially when it radiates into my chest! But I have had a heart scan and ecg all is well x

snowflake293
11-11-17, 16:33
Sounds like something you would buy off Ann Summers. :blush::winks:

I get spasms in my lower back when anxious sometimes. The worst though was neck spasms, they had me grimacing & jerking my head as they were intense and kept me awake half the night. They took weeks to go and you would know if you had them as they were painful.

I often think anxiety brings a load of nerve type issues with it.

I LOOKS like something from Ann Summers(!) We all had a good laugh when it arrived. It does work really well though, for my back of course(!)

I think we naturally hold a lot of our anxiety in our neck and backs. I scrunch up a lot like a hedgehog. Diazepam works wonders. I wish it was ok to take longterm *sigh*

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

I get this too, its worse when its hot weather or im warm such as hoovering etc. ice pack helps a lot or cold drinks bottle if I am out and about, I have had it years just comes and goes... I still panic when it happens especially when it radiates into my chest! But I have had a heart scan and ecg all is well x

Yeah it is really scary. It is good that your tests were all ok :) I am not going to look into it any further. I am going to keep telling myself that if it was something really awful I would have other symptoms with it, or it would be happening constantly. It is pretty consistent with my anxiety so I think it is just down to that.

It DOES worry me when it happens though... such a weird sensation.