PDA

View Full Version : Major health anxiety ruining my life/fluoxetine/help!

Gemlw25
05-11-17, 12:51
So this is quite a long post and I will try to explain my situation the best I can. Some help or advice would be hugely appreciated as I'm at breaking point!

Basically a couple of months ago my doctor prescribed me 20mg fluoxetine. I'd taken sertraline before but found it wore off quickly. I wasn't really depressed when prescribed fluoxetine just very bad social anxiety and feeling low due to not being able to go out much due to anxiety. Anyway, I first started taking the new drug and I felt calmer straight away, not any physical side effects really apart from feeling slightly more tired and sleeping more (nothing major) this went on for a month and my mood was noticeably improving.

One weekend I drank quite a lot 2 nights in a row and on the Sunday is where things went severely downhill for me. I felt very hungover and thought I'd get some fresh air. On my way home I felt very nauseous, hot sweats, like I was going to pass out which are symptoms of my usual panic attacks. I had this fear of impending doom and thought something was very wrong with my body. I spent most of the day in bed worrying myself sick and felt very anxious.

A month later and I'm still feeling not right. I wake up every morning feeling extremely exhausted and have a sensation of not really being here. May I add that worrying about my health has been non stop since that day and it is constantly on my mind, even when I try to switch my focus. I'm so in tune with everything my body is doing that it's driving me insane. I've been feeling very drugged up and unaware of what's happening around me, it all feels like a dream. It's worse when I leave my house and I go out to busy places. I worry I'm going to have a panic attack again which causes me to panic even more. I've noticed I'm feeling very upbeat at times like the drugs are still working to some degree but my body and head feels almost fuzzy. I feel like I can't react to anything and although my social anxiety has improved, I'm constantly worried about my health. I have been to see my gp 3 times! And even went for an eye test as I was terrified I may have a brain tumour or brain damage. Turns out my vision is awful and need glasses. My gp isn't worried, he thinks I may have a sinus infection as have been getting sinus pressure and my ears feel blocked with huge plugs of wax as my gp described it! Generally feeling off balance and like I'm walking on air and I hate it.

I've stopped taking fluoxetine for 4 days now and feel incredibly faint, my gp has advised I start taking sertraline again.

I've been driving my family insane with my constant health worries which has caused me to phone 111 twice as I've got myself into such a panic of there being something physically wrong.

Have also been messing around with the fluoxetine like stopping and starting as convinced it's a bad reaction to that?

Someone please help me, I never felt like this before that weekend and it's ruining my life!! I'm terrified I'm going to die!

Sorry if it's a long jumbled post X

cattia
05-11-17, 21:15
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. I had a bad experience with Sertraline recently but years ago I took fluoxetine and I found it helped me, different drugs work differently for each individual so it may be that Sertraline would suit you better. It would also probably help to combine this with some sort of talking therapy if you haven't already. The drugged up and fuzzy headed feeling sounds like depersonalisation. I get this really badly and have been having it every day for a while. There is a sub forum on the symptoms bit on here that has lots of posts on it. It could be that having that bad panic attack after drinking was enough to trigger you into an anxiety cycle that the fluoxetine just isn't quite powerful enough to break.