PDA

View Full Version : propanolol

josephine
18-06-07, 12:33
Why does propanolol make me feel so dizzy and tired. Even if i just take one i get weird feeligs. My eyes dry out and blur, i get serious depersonlization, like im off the planet. If anyone talks to me i cant concentrate on anything they say. I know this has been asked about before, probably by me, i have a terrible memory, but does anyone else feel like this. Im fed up, everytime i try anything that may potentially help me i end up feeling worse. Is there no help out there at all? Cant function with or without help.

Josephinex

mirry
18-06-07, 12:40
Hi Josephine, Yep I feel slightly wrong when taking propranalol,

I get a slight head pain pressure and it makes my blood pressure drop (common side effect) that then makes me feel dizzy.

Im going down a different route now, trying out herbal stuff and minerals, cos most medication disagrees with me.

take care.

josephine
18-06-07, 12:53
Me too, Although i thought it could be my imagination.

Josephinex

Ellen70
18-06-07, 13:40
Hi Josephine, unfortuantely some people are very sensitive to drug side effects, even though most of the side effects go if you can manage to stay on the drug for about four weeks.

A new anti psychotic drug I am on gave me dizziness and a feeling of losing my balance but my gp gave me a pill called Stemetil for the symptoms and I am fine now. Also some people find the over the counter drug Sturgeion to help as well, it is meant for travel sickness but helps for dizziness too.

Hope this is some help
Take care
Eibhlin

Piglet
18-06-07, 13:42
Yes I have to say this didn't suit me either.

Piglet

josephine
19-06-07, 10:02
Thanks for all you replies. I suppose different meds suit different people. I took atenolol for 2 years and i was fine and then all of a sudden i felt terrible. Never been the same since with beta blockers. Basically all medication is poison to our bodies and have to find the one that effects us the least.

What fun!

Josephinex

GemmaAnn
27-09-07, 23:56
iv just been prescribed propranolol, and to tell the truth im rather afraid of taking it. iv taken beta blockers before and they disturbed my sleep and generally made me feel weird, but now i read the common side effects and it said psychosis ... anyone find this is a side effect they get?

cuz if so ... im really not keen on this one!

SammiB
28-09-07, 09:38
I take propranalol now but only when i need to the doc said and it makes all my anxious feelings go when i need them. they are my lifeline. i don't get any side effects so as you can see lots of different responses.

Gemma i was also aftraid of taking this but just because i thought i would have an allergic reaction but i had to take one while having a panic and i calmed down within 20 - 30 mins.

Sam

GemmaAnn
29-09-07, 19:05
hey, yea iv been taking them for a few days now and i dont think iv had any side effects. I still get shooting pains in my head but i figure it mite take a while for that to go away? or i mite just not be reacting to the pills in the optimum way?
anyways im going to persist with them because i havent felt panicky since i started taking them :)

thanks for your help xxx

nic1202
28-03-08, 19:53
I have also been prescribed Propanolol but am too scared to take them. I keep thinking my heart will so down too much or even stop??

Has anyone ever felt weird when taking them i.e not feeling your heart racing as much but slowing down too much??

xx

Tony1980
28-03-08, 23:22
I'm on propranolol and it's just slowed my heart rate down a bit. I think one of the side effects is occasionally fainting which is linked to the low heart rate and low blood pressure mentioned in previous posts, but that's something I have never experienced in the past and hopefully never will!
My counsellor says to think about coming off them in April / May after the clocks go forward and the days get sunnier cos apparently that's the optimum time to come off meds.
I think I can definitely cope without them as I've found my problems to be mainly in the mind and not the body.

HappyHayley
10-04-08, 01:13
Nic 1202. Ive been on propranlol on and off for 10 years. I have to say they very much worked for me and got me over a very difficult period. Now I have found that my body has kind of got used to them and I can now deal with the effects of a 'panic'. They were my lifeline for a long time but I am now having to deal with feel of anxiousness and so am trying citalopram

kaz79
20-04-08, 15:44
I often feel like Im not breathing and this makes me more anxious. I agree about yhe wierd feelings too.
I dont often take them and I dont find them very helpful.

noonoo
19-05-08, 04:30
I have also been prescribed Propanolol but am too scared to take them. I keep thinking my heart will so down too much or even stop??

Has anyone ever felt weird when taking them i.e not feeling your heart racing as much but slowing down too much??

xx

I got a little worried a few days ago because it slowed down a heck of a lot, but it's meant to do that.

The only thing I hate is the dizzyness just after I take one, but it's the blood pressure dropping. And when i'm out and about I tend to feel really strange! Yet when i'm driving i'm absolutely fine.

Cathy V
19-05-08, 11:24
They say not to take them if you suffer with low blood pressure becoz they do slow your heart down, as they are also pescribed for high blood pressure, as was the reason i had them last summer. I also suffer with ectopics from time to time and the doc said theyd help with this too. They brought down the bp ok, but the ectopics stayed, although not so strong more like small flutters in the background.

However they also made me feel I had no energy and out of breath at the least effort (theyre not recomended for people with asthma either, so maybe theres a connection there i don't know) and in the 9 months i was on them my weight increased by 1 and half stones (another common side effect of all beta blockers i think, cetainly with propranolol anyway) I was on 80mg slow release, so the doc decided to take me off them and give me meds that only treat high bp but within days my anx level was really high. I couldn't believe i was having withdrawal anx from beta blockers!:lac:

So now i'm back on a different beta blocker called Bisoprolol (5mg a day) and so far they seem to be ok, tho they don't take away all of the anx symtoms, but they don't make me feel as bad as the propranolol did. But i really don't want to keep upping the dose, if they keep my bp stable then i'll try hard to ignore any nax from them and keep taking the smaller dose.

Much to my despair i'm now caught up in a circle of meds, and if it was just the anx that i was trying to sort out i would try to do it without them, but i suffer with high BP and this has to be treated with something.

Its so hard to advice people about meds coz everyone has a different reaction to them.

Cathy V xx :)

shortstuff
31-05-08, 15:40
I was surprised to get side effects as quickly. I assumed it would take at least a few days before I felt anything (better or worse). Within an hour or so of taking my 40mg tablet, I felt really dizzy and disoriented - this lasted about an hour / hour and a half, so wasn't too bad. Then trying to get to sleep was beyond a joke - I think it was about 5am in the end :ohmy:

Add to that my mouth is contantly dry (so lots of loo visits due to the increased water intake) and I actually feel more anxious now than I was before.

(I was prescribed 40mg once a day to increase to twice per day after the first week. This is for frequent panic attacks and constant anxiety)

I had heard that sometimes you can initially feel worse when starting any medication so I'm going to ride it out and follow my docs instructions for now. Wish me luck :yesyes:

belbel
21-06-08, 11:17
would any one mind telling me why you have been prescribed propanalol - much appreciatedx:)

Paula Slack
23-06-08, 21:57
Hello, i am new to all this and i have just been issued with propanolol from my maverick doc.. his attitude was... well if you are going to shuv rescue remedy down your throat then you may as well try these!! wasnt very helpful considering i swear by rescue remedy.. if you go to the bachs flower remedies web site you can have your own treatment made for you as well.. which is what i have done and am waiting for it to come in the post and then take that before i touch these pills, he has only put me on 10mg twice a day.. but the side effects dont sound great at all :mad: !
my anxiety attacks consist of just falling asleep, racing heart, stomach churn, feel like i am going mad and then the shakes start.. its not fun anymore:wacko: and i aslo dont think staring at a laptop last thing at night helps either!..

With best wishes to all

Paula x

mikemcc
07-10-09, 14:14
Just started on the propranalol, i'll post up any side effects, i hope these work otherwise i might have to smash someone...:)

daza.theman
17-10-09, 01:33
this is to belbel ,i was pescribed for panick atacks!! why u ask???

Kirst24
04-12-09, 06:26
just wondering if anyone has ever suffered from insomnia whilst taking propanolol? i've had real problems sleeping (at all!) while on these, i'm not sure if it is related to them, or something else underlying(currently waiting on tests for thyroid problems and other things).

K xx

ZoJo
04-12-09, 12:02
I have just been put on propanolol and feeling EXACTLY the same things! I thought something else was wrong!! I have read that the side effects gradually fade, has that happened to anyone??
I am supposed to take three a day, but being a bit scared took two Tuesday and Wednesday and when I took my first one Thursday I felt really not with it and didn't take another one. I am just wondering if to take todays.....although my doctor did say they were good for taking just when needed.
Onwards and upwards!!

Dolan1989
04-12-09, 12:12
I was on them for a year, three times a day and now I jsut take them when needed. I find that when you take themallthe time the dizziness and the 'feeling not with it' goes. When I take them on and off now though, Im ok when I take them but when I stop again I have a full day afterwards of not feeling brilliant. I take them though becuase they help on the day that I need them.

If I was you I'd stick with them!

Nat x

80schickx
18-12-09, 15:56
Hi

I have just been prescribed propranolol for anxiety. I have posted separately for an embarrassing side effect (ladies only!) but yes, I have terrible insomnia now. Last night I went to bed at 10pm and at 230am I was still wide awake. Normally I can sleep for England!

I have also experienced the dizziness and feeling sick side effects too but maybe its my body just getting used to taking them.

I find that its better if I take then just before eating a meal, the dizziness doesnt seem to be so bad.

Today is the first time I have left the house all week, only to post a letter but I'm quite proud of myself!

sharona
18-12-09, 20:43
Hi

I take anteneloland have never really felt right on thembut they do help my anxiety. I could not leave the house once without them but I am trying to take them when I need them. They do slow your heart rate down a lot and make me feel not quite right but they are better tahn taking anti depressants for me anway. When I was on anti depressants I did not need to take my beta blockers but the side effects were worse so visious cirlce or what.

Anyway well done for going out even if it was only going to post a letter.

Take care

Sharona xxx:)

Desprate Dan
21-12-09, 09:58
My Propanolol was perscribed because i got bouts of trembling, since taking propanolol i feel a lot calmer and the trembling has stopped, i am on 80mg slow release, and also on 40mg Citalopram for anxiety and depression.

Dan