PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope when life seems to be so cruel?

BrokenGirl
05-11-17, 21:41
Just when i thought that things couldn't get worse with my HA being at an all time high, my mom rang me this evening and told me my dad had a stroke. I think I'm still in shock over it.
One thing is for sure - it put things into perspective for me. I've been so worried about illnesses I thought I had, thinking this and that was a symptom of something awful, and then this happens to my dad with no warning. It nearly makes me feel stupid for worrying about things over the past few years that didn't even happen.
I'm just feeling at an all time low now. How do you cope when something bad really happens? This has really frightened me and knocked me back.
I don't think my coping skills are very good at the moment.

KK77
05-11-17, 22:11
Sorry to hear that. Will you be visiting him? Does put things into perspective but recovery nowadays is excellent with treatment options available. Spend some time with your dad if possible. Don't isolate yourself from life - we all have to face this turmoil and pain at some point and we will somehow get through it. There is no easy way.

All the best.

Buster70
06-11-17, 01:41
Hi there , sorry to hear about your dad , I've been quite a lot of family situations in the last few years where I thought I couldn't cope to a point I thought my legs would give way but we do get through it , sometimes it takes the focus off yourself having to deal with a loved ones problems , be there for him and just do what you can , some people do recover very quickly hopefully he is one .
Take care .:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-17, 02:21
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he recovers swiftly with all the support he can get. :hugs:

It's veyr raw right now, a masive shock. But you will push through. You need to care after your dad is stronger than your anxiety and whilst it may be very hard dealing with elevated anxiety levels you will want to be helping him and wanting empowers us to take those challenges on.

Give it time, anxiety will cool down a bit. It will be a challenging time but you've got support on here if you need it.

Blonde123
06-11-17, 07:44
Big hugs x
Take some time out and try to relax. As someone else said there is excellent care for people who have had a stroke. Hope he has a speedy recovery x

pulisa
06-11-17, 08:32
Must have been a huge shock but you will find the strength to be there for your Dad as he recovers and to support your Mum too because she will need it. I hope there is better news today. xx

swgrl09
06-11-17, 13:08
Sending hugs and support :hugs: Finding out a loved one has had a stroke or other shocking illness really up-ends your life. Take it easy on yourself. You will be able to come through this and support them in your own way. The first moments are shock and you are just trying to process what has happened. Somehow we find a way to get through it.

When I found out my mother was sick very unexpectedly, there was definitely shock. Then sadness, anger, etc. I would rotate through all the feelings. But somehow when I was around her I just got through it to be with her. I don't really know what I did or what kicked in within me, but it just sort of happened. Then I'd go home and fall apart with my husband. Have somebody ready who you can fall apart with if you need to.

BrokenGirl
06-11-17, 18:40
Thank you all for your kind replies - it really does mean a lot!!
I do hope I can find the strength to carry on, as many of you said i will. I just feel that I've been running on empty lately so this news came as a massive blow. I don't live near my mum and dad but my brother and his wife live around the corner from them so at least they are not alone.
I'm hoping I'll get to see him shortly but it's not easy getting away from here with 2 kids. I don't want to tell them yet, not till I find out more myself and I've had a chance to get used to it.
If there ever was a time when I needed my inner strength to kick in then it's now.
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply xx

Fishmanpa
06-11-17, 18:48
How do you cope when something bad really happens? .

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Having faced many very serious physical issues as well as illnesses and death of others, I can tell you from personal experience that you will deal with it. The reality is, we don't have a choice :shrug:

In retrospect, you'll find you're a lot stronger then you think you are.

Positive thoughts